Calling all Irish/Germans

Options

Replies

• med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Griddle cakes (great when you have a surplus of mash)

Ingredients:

1 cup cooked mashed potato
    * 1 medium white onion, chopped into small pieces
    * 1/2 cup of grated mature cheddar
    Sprig of parsley
    1 cup of plain flour, {about 8 ounces}
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup milk
    1 large egg
    Spoonful of olive oil

Preparation:
    Put olive oil in pan over a low heat, leave to warm until oil is smoking slightly
    Add the cheese, onion and chopped parsley to the potato
    Divide the potato mix into small round cakes (about the size of a beer coaster)
    Add the milk to the egg
    Coat the potato mix in the egg wash and cover thoroughly in flour
    Put potato cake into the oil, cook until brown on 1st side
    Turn the potato cake over and cook other side until brown

Now you have potato / griddle / boxty cakes

*Cheese and onion are optional. My Dad prefers Stilton and savoy cabbage but each to his own :)

Can honestly say I've never heard of that. Irish?

or potato cakes. placki ziemniaczane in polish. typical european food i think. my mom makes it all the time.
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    and now something sweet....

Brown Soda Bread Scones

Makes 15-18 scones

Ingredients

225g (8oz) wholemeal flour
    225g (8oz) plain flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    50g (2oz) mixed seeds, such as sesame, pumpkin or sunflower, or golden linseeds (optional)
    25g (1oz) butter (optional)
    1 egg
    100g brown sugar
    375-400ml (13-14fl oz) Buttermilk (or I do a 50/50 milk and water mix as it is less fattening)

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F), Gas mark 7.

2. Sift together the flours, salt and bicarbonate of soda in a large bowl and mix with the seeds (if using). Add the butter (if using), and rub into the flour mixture with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre.

3. In another bowl, whisk the egg with the buttermilk and pour most of the liquid into the flour mixture. Using one hand with your fingers outstretched like a claw, bring the flour and liquid together, adding more buttermilk if necessary. The dough should be quite soft, but not too sticky. Add the sugar to the liquid.

4. Turn onto a floured work surface, and divide into a medium muffin baking tray. (Should divide into about 15 medium sized cakes) Cut a deep cross and sprinkle a pinch of plain white flour on each.

5. Place on a baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, then turn down the heat to 200°C (400°F), Gas mark 6 and cook for 5 minutes more if needed. When cooked, the loaf will sound slightly hollow when tapped on the base. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
  • LondonEliza
    Options
    Griddle cakes (great when you have a surplus of mash)

Ingredients:

1 cup cooked mashed potato
    * 1 medium white onion, chopped into small pieces
    * 1/2 cup of grated mature cheddar
    Sprig of parsley
    1 cup of plain flour, {about 8 ounces}
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup milk
    1 large egg
    Spoonful of olive oil

Preparation:
    Put olive oil in pan over a low heat, leave to warm until oil is smoking slightly
    Add the cheese, onion and chopped parsley to the potato
    Divide the potato mix into small round cakes (about the size of a beer coaster)
    Add the milk to the egg
    Coat the potato mix in the egg wash and cover thoroughly in flour
    Put potato cake into the oil, cook until brown on 1st side
    Turn the potato cake over and cook other side until brown

Now you have potato / griddle / boxty cakes

*Cheese and onion are optional. My Dad prefers Stilton and savoy cabbage but each to his own :)

Can honestly say I've never heard of that. Irish?

It is Irish, sorry should have said :)
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    I'm Scandinavian and Russian so I don't think I can contribute, I just wanted to say I envy you for your class! I have no such classes as my majors are chemistry and statistics. :( I do get to make cool acids, however... *evil laugh*

Anyway, good luck with your graduation!! :)

I went to middle school with a Russian exchange student, I CANNOT get the language down, LOL. My major didn't make me take this class I think it's an elective but it's pretty awesome to say the least. Very diverse class too.
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options

Brown Soda Bread Scones

Makes 1 Loaf

Ingredients

225g (8oz) plain flour
    1 tsp salt
    50g (2oz) mixed seeds, such as sesame, pumpkin or sunflower, or golden linseeds (optional)
    1 egg
    100g brown sugar
    375-400ml (13-14fl oz) Buttermilk (or I do a 50/50 milk and water mix as it is less fattening)

Method

2. Sift together the flours, salt and bicarbonate of soda in a large bowl and mix with the seeds (if using). Add the butter (if using), and rub into the flour mixture with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre.

3. In another bowl, whisk the egg with the buttermilk and pour most of the liquid into the flour mixture. Using one hand with your fingers outstretched like a claw, bring the flour and liquid together, adding more buttermilk if necessary. The dough should be quite soft, but not too sticky. Add the sugar to the liquid.

4. Turn onto a floured work surface, and divide into a medium muffin baking tray. (Should divide into about 15 medium sized cakes) Cut a deep cross and sprinkle a pinch of plain white flour on each.

5. Place on a baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, then turn down the heat to 200°C (400°F), Gas mark 6 and cook for 5 minutes more if needed. When cooked, the loaf will sound slightly hollow when tapped on the base. Allow to cool on a wire rack.

I love scones but I thought they were typically English. Also, what is bicarbonate of soda? =/
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    potatoes and beer

Yeah...if I didn't go to a catholic college, maybe.

I'm pretty sure Catholics eat potatoes and drink beer ... lol They're kind of known for the drinking (I grew up in a Catholic family).

im polish... roman catholic... and believe me potato and beer is not the only thing on the menu... this is how stereotypes are born.

She asked for Irish and German recipes, not Polish. She just said she wouldn't do potatoes and beer because it's a Catholic college. Catholics do drink beer and eat potatoes.
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    potatoes and beer

I'm pretty sure Catholics eat potatoes and drink beer ... lol They're kind of known for the drinking (I grew up in a Catholic family).

im polish... roman catholic... and believe me potato and beer is not the only thing on the menu... this is how stereotypes are born.

She asked for Irish and German recipes, not Polish. She just said she wouldn't do potatoes and beer because it's a Catholic college. Catholics do drink beer and eat potatoes.

It's okay dolly. (= I have a friend in Poland currently and she makes some kick *kitten* food to say the least. Catholics aren't supposed to drink beer from what I understand about the religion you're not supposed to drink, but most do.
  • rml_16
    Options
    potatoes and beer

Oh it's a party school, most definitely, there's beer cans everywhere on mondays, BUT I'm taking this to a class, for a grade I can't take beer. (= And yes, please email your friend, I will take any and all recipes.

Message sent. He'll be in Germany for a couple more weeks, but he's posting on FB regularly, so he should get it.
  • rml_16
    Options
    potatoes and beer

It's okay dolly. (= I have a friend in Poland currently and she makes some kick *kitten* food to say the least. Catholics aren't supposed to drink beer from what I understand about the religion you're not supposed to drink, but most do.

lol

You have Catholics confused with Southern Baptists! Catholics are most definitely allowed to drink. Even priests drink alcohol.
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    potatoes and beer

Oh it's a party school, most definitely, there's beer cans everywhere on mondays, BUT I'm taking this to a class, for a grade I can't take beer. (= And yes, please email your friend, I will take any and all recipes.

Message sent. He'll be in Germany for a couple more weeks, but he's posting on FB regularly, so he should get it.

Danke. (=
  • ilinx
    ilinx Posts: 34
    Options
    I'm from Germany. I'd say if you want a cake go for Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte. I don't know anybody who doesn't like it.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options

Brown Soda Bread Scones

Makes 1 Loaf

Ingredients

225g (8oz) plain flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 egg
    100g brown sugar

Method

I love scones but I thought they were typically English. Also, what is bicarbonate of soda? =/

It is Baking Soda over here!! :tongue:
  • LondonEliza
    Options
    Growing up, all our food was based around what we could pick, grow or bake so recipes included lots of rhubarb, blackberries, potatoes, pears, apples, cabbage, cabbage, lettuce, carrots and spring onions. Most of these, along with cheddar cheese, fish, homemade soda bread and red meat would be considered the staples of a traditional Irish diet.

Things like rhubarb crumble, apple and pear pie, beetroot and cheese salad, Irish stew, fish stew (with cheese and onion
    scones)

How traditional do you want to get? Do you fancy cooking black and white pudding (a mix of blood, grain and herbs) grubeens (boiled pigs feet) Coddle (a stew with boiled sausages) As Holloween is coming up in a few weeks, you could look up the recipe for Barmbrack. This is a sweetbread cake with currents and cherries usually eaten at this time of year.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My boss makes a peach kuchen every summer and it seems pretty simple. Allrecipes had many fruit variations, and given that we're heading into fall and apple season, this apple one might be good:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/apple-kuchen/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=kuchen&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    potatoes and beer

lol

You have Catholics confused with Southern Baptists! Catholics are most definitely allowed to drink. Even priests drink alcohol.

I was raised southern baptist and they all drink lol (= I think most every religion in the US does whether they are supposed to or not.
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    Growing up, all our food was based around what we could pick, grow or bake so recipes included lots of rhubarb, blackberries, potatoes, pears, apples, cabbage, cabbage, lettuce, carrots and spring onions. Most of these, along with cheddar cheese, fish, homemade soda bread and red meat would be considered the staples of a traditional Irish diet.

Things like rhubarb crumble, apple and pear pie, beetroot and cheese salad, Irish stew, fish stew (with cheese and onion
    scones)

How traditional do you want to get? Do you fancy cooking black and white pudding (a mix of blood, grain and herbs) grubeens (boiled pigs feet) Coddle (a stew with boiled sausages) As Holloween is coming up in a few weeks, you could look up the recipe for Barmbrack. This is a sweetbread cake with currents and cherries usually eaten at this time of year.

Definitely NO black and white pudding. I don't think I could stomach it. Same for the grubeens. I love me some ham but not the feets of an oinker. Look at my southern-ness showing. LOL
    Barmbrack sounds really good and you've given me great recipes, thank you
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Rot Kohl (Red Cabbage)

1 Red Cabbage Cored and Cut apart
    1 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar or red wine vinegar
    2-3 Apples
    1 Onion
    2 Bay Leaf
    1/4 Cup Sugar (or more to taste)
    1.5 Cups Water
    Salt Pepper

Bring it all to a boil and then let it simmer. You can look up variations of this recipe online. Some recipes add bacon. And other spices. But very German.
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    I'm from Germany. I'd say if you want a cake go for Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte. I don't know anybody who doesn't like it.

I shall google it for a recipe, danke.
    I should really brush up on my German. >.>

Anyone know how to say thank you in Gaelic?
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has said German potato salad. My grandmother used to make this all the time and my mom goes crazy for it. Although, it's probably a good thing that it hasn't been mentioned. It's a heart attack on a fork. I personally have not been brave enough to try it. lol.

On another note...Pretty awesome to find out though that black forest cake is of German decent. =)
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has said German potato salad. My grandmother used to make this all the time and my mom goes crazy for it. Although, it's probably a good thing that it hasn't been mentioned. It's a heart attack on a fork. I personally have not been brave enough to try it. lol.

On another note...Pretty awesome to find out though that black forest cake is of German decent. =)

Ohhhh, do you have the recipe? I effin' love potato salad! I'm okay with a heart attack on a fork. I'll just work out double the day before and the day after. (=