Snack Trick!

Options
I have seen a lot of threads asking how to curb your night time snack cravings.

Nuts are always thrown out there as high protien, good fats and no carbs for a good night snack.

Well I took it a step further and bought a bag of mixed nuts in the shell. With my nut cracker and pick I set out my alloted snackers at 6 pm....right after dinner. When I craved some food, I cracked a nut and picked out the meat.

By 8 pm I still had 6 almonds left and sat down to eat them. 20 minutes later I was done and FULL.

It was a fun experiment and I did not want more food.......that was certain. I also realized a lot of it is boredom not hunger.

Jeannie

Replies

• AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    OOH! That sounds REALLY good! Where did you find nuts in a shell? The only store I have in my town is Kroger... do you think they would have some, and a nutcracker, I would need one of those!

Ah, that would take me back to sittin on my PapPaw's lap around Christmas and him crackin walnuts for me! :heart:
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Oh I like that! I usually try to stand up and either march, jog or fake-jump-rope in place in front of the tv, and that works great except for when I'm ACTUALLY still hungry. I'll have to try this out :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    OOH! That sounds REALLY good! Where did you find nuts in a shell? The only store I have in my town is Kroger... do you think they would have some, and a nutcracker, I would need one of those!

Ah, that would take me back to sittin on my PapPaw's lap around Christmas and him crackin walnuts for me! :heart:

Right now all the stores have an overload due the the holiday's being behind us.

My store has them over by the veggies...if not then ask the clerk. Ususally the nutcracker set is in the kitchen area-you know with knives and measuring cups. I found mine hanging by the nuts.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Oh I like that! I usually try to stand up and either march, jog or fake-jump-rope in place in front of the tv, and that works great except for when I'm ACTUALLY still hungry. I'll have to try this out :)

:laugh:

I just pictured my self doign that and then hitting my forehead!!

Just like the time I had not slept in 2 nights so I decided a good jog at 9 pm would make me tired. WRONG....it made me hyper and I did not sleep until 2 am!:yawn:
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm going to give this tip to my husband. He gets up sometimes 2-3 times during the middle of the night to snack. He wants to stop but doesn't know how. One morning I got up & he had eaten 4 packs of the 100 calorie Chips Ahoy snacks. That just defeated the whole purpose! :noway: Hopefully, he can try this & not get that urge!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I feel like nuts would not fill me up at all. My mom does the same thing she'll just have a handfull of peanuts....I dont think peanuts will do it for this girl! lol I usually make myself 2 eggs with toast
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I feel like nuts would not fill me up at all. My mom does the same thing she'll just have a handfull of peanuts....I dont think peanuts will do it for this girl! lol I usually make myself 2 eggs with toast

for a SNACK??? Holy cannoli!! :laugh:
  • greeneyes82
    Options

Just try it. I have always been one who eats a lot, but snacking on almonds & water gives that full feeling! Make sure you measure the nuts. I only eat a 1/4 of a cup or less because they are very filling.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of having to work for your treat - and because you are taking your time opening the shell, it's giving your brain enough time to receive the message that your stomach is full. I need to find a way to do that with my meals now!! Like placing them in nesting dolls or something! :laugh:
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options

Just try it. I have always been one who eats a lot, but snacking on almonds & water gives that full feeling! Make sure you measure the nuts. I only eat a 1/4 of a cup or less because they are very filling.

Should I try the almonds? I'll give it a whirl but i dunno lol.
  • greeneyes82
    Options

That's the kind I choose just because I don't have to add salt to them. I know if I had peanuts, I'd want to salt them. Try some almonds. Grocery stores usually sell them in a packaged container with the nutrition facts on them. It only takes very little to notice the full feeling! :wink:
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

Are you saying that's a bad snack? I think it's a great one, not many more calories than a serving of nuts and a great source of protein and fiber if it's whole grain so will fill you up.
  • vctkell
    vctkell Posts: 41
    Options
    Almonds have about 7 -8 calories each, so be sure to get the raw. The roasted ones or flavored may have more calories.
    I usually have 10 to 12 for a morning snack and with water that keeps me going till lunch. I usually keep them at work so
    I have not tried them before bed time. I usually do yogurt at before bed. I just read an e-mail from realage about foods to
    help you sleep and yogurt was one of the items listed. :happy:
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options

Are you saying that's a bad snack? I think it's a great one, not many more calories than a serving of nuts and a great source of protein and fiber if it's whole grain so will fill you up.
    I don't think that's a bad snack at all. I had almonds last night before bed, but depending on what your goals are, 2 eggs and whole grain toast is only about 200ish calories so if it's in your calorie range, why not?
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    Almonds have about 7 -8 calories each, so be sure to get the raw. The roasted ones or flavored may have more calories.
    I usually have 10 to 12 for a morning snack and with water that keeps me going till lunch. I usually keep them at work so
    I have not tried them before bed time. I usually do yogurt at before bed. I just read an e-mail from realage about foods to

25 cinnamon almonds weighed an ounce on our food scale and 1 oz has 150 calories. But, boy, are those ever good! Is hard to eat just 1 oz. We find them in the pproduce section, like Arewethereyet said.
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    Arewethereyet's idea is Awesome! :happy: I had no power last week for 3 days so cracking nuts in front of the fire was something to do fighting major boredom while I got to eat! My problem is it's hard to stop eating once I start:noway: :noway: :noway: I had leftover nuts from the Holidays....Then I would throw the shells in the fire to watch them burn...Awwwwww.

Then it makes my stomach hurt from all those fiber-ish nuts:ohwell:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

It didnt work for me when I counted out 23 almonds........but having to crack the shells, pick em out and then eat them did as MOJO said and got my brain the message I was full. It was also fun:bigsmile:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

No...I love me some eggs and toast. But for a night time snack at 8 pm I just cant see me frying up 2 eggs and toasting some toast. :heart:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Arewethereyet's idea is Awesome! :happy: I had no power last week for 3 days so cracking nuts in front of the fire was something to do fighting major boredom while I got to eat! My problem is it's hard to stop eating once I start:noway: :noway: :noway: I had leftover nuts from the Holidays....Then I would throw the shells in the fire to watch them burn...Awwwwww.

Then it makes my stomach hurt from all those fiber-ish nuts:ohwell:

yeah too many can def give me a tummy ache.

I found coco covered almonds by Emerald are perfect for me when I crave chocolate. They are sweetened with some artificial stuff....so not perfect-but better for ME than a candy bar which will send me off on another 2 week sugar jaunt.
  • arewethereyet
    Options

25 cinnamon almonds weighed an ounce on our food scale and 1 oz has 150 calories. But, boy, are those ever good! Is hard to eat just 1 oz. We find them in the pproduce section, like Arewethereyet said.

Do you make the cinamlan...cinmanin....those kind yourself or buy them? if you buy them what brand? sounds yummy!