Calling all Irish/Germans

Options

Replies

• LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options

Anyone know how to say thank you in Gaelic?

go raibh maith agat
    Thank you very much

go raibh mile maith agat
    Thanks a million
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options

Anyone know how to say thank you in Gaelic?

go raibh maith agat
    Thank you very much

go raibh mile maith agat
    Thanks a million

<.< Maybe I should stick with German because there's no way I'm pronouncing that correctly.
  • LondonEliza
    Options
    My husband had a variation of this in a pub in Sligo last week and loved it:

Steak and Guinness Pie

Ingredients:
    • 1 kg Round steak
    • 1 Tbsp Flour
    • 1 tsp Brown sugar
    • 1 Tbsp Raisins (optional)
    • 5 x Onions
    * 5 c carrots
    * 3 x celery sticks
    * Garlic
    • 300 ml Guinness
    • 8 Slices bacon
    • 3 oz Lard
    • Chopped parsley
    • Short pastry

Directions:

Cut the steak into bite sized cubes, roll in seasoned flour, and brown in the lard with the bacon, chopped small. Place the meat in a casserole, peel and chop the veg, and fry until golden before adding them to the meat. Add the raisins (if wanted) and brown sugar, pour in the Guinness, cover tightly and simmer over a low heat or in a very moderate oven (325-350F) for 2 1/2 hours. Stir occasionally, and add a little more Guinness or water if the rich brown gravy gets too thick.

Meanwhile, line a deep pie dish with half the pie crust: bake it blind: then add the Guinness/beef mixture from the casserole, cover with the top layer of pie crust, and bake until finished, probably about 10 more minutes.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Corned beef and cabbage, if made the right way, very low calorie high protein
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options

Steak and Guinness Pie

Ingredients:
    • 1 kg Round steak
    • 1 Tbsp Flour
    • 1 tsp Brown sugar
    • 5 x Onions
    * 5 c carrots
    * 3 x celery sticks
    * Garlic
    • 300 ml Guinness
    • 8 Slices bacon
    • 3 oz Lard
    • Chopped parsley
    • Short pastry

Directions:

Cut the steak into bite sized cubes, roll in seasoned flour, and brown in the lard with the bacon, chopped small. Place the meat in a casserole, peel and chop the veg, and fry until golden before adding them to the meat. Add the raisins (if wanted) and brown sugar, pour in the Guinness, cover tightly and simmer over a low heat or in a very moderate oven (325-350F) for 2 1/2 hours. Stir occasionally, and add a little more Guinness or water if the rich brown gravy gets too thick.

Meanwhile, line a deep pie dish with half the pie crust: bake it blind: then add the Guinness/beef mixture from the casserole, cover with the top layer of pie crust, and bake until finished, probably about 10 more minutes.

Sounds amazing! My fiance freakin' lovesssssssss guinness, I cannot express how much and he's a total carnivore so he can be my guinnie pig to see if I make it right lol
  • fififox
    fififox Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm in Limerick :smile:

Bicarbonate of Soda is Bread Soda. I think that the really traditional Irish Soda Bread is generally plainer...can't imagine that seeds were too available here til the more recent advent of health food shops, lol. Also it is more usually savoury than sweet. I also imagine that smoked salmon was not too plentiful, but nowadays smoked salmon on buttered soda bread is a pretty common and delicious pairing. I was at a symposium in Turkey last year and we had to bring traditional foods and I got a vacuum packed side of smoked salmon and took that with me. A bit addicted to smoked salmon myself. I also prefer soda bread toasted and butter melted on it.

Very traditional is boiled bacon, potatoes and cabbage - dead plain - have to say that I am thrilled to have discovered world foods - for me traditional Irish food is not so exciting. I guess that the ingredients were not so varied or plentiful. Something like a porter cake would also be good? Boxty is a traditional potato pancake - recipes online.

Irish Soda Bread

Wholemeal Flour, 250 g
    Plain (white) Flour, 250 g
    Butter - Salted, 30 g
    Baking soda, 1 tsp
    Milk - Buttermilk, lowfat, 1.5 cup

Add the butter to the dry ingredients and rub it in - Add the buttermilk and mix together - Form into a round cake about 3/4 of an inch high, cut 2 lines across the top (from one side to the other side) to form a cross and bake - about 200C I think - I will have to check, but I imagine if you google Irish soda you will find the temperatures and cooking times are all about the same.

http://greatfood.ie/item_display.asp?cde=2&id=446

The link above is for a white soda bread courtesy of an Irish chef - Darina Allen. It tells you a bit of information about soda bread as well. On the right of the page there are links for Boxty, Irish stew, champ, etc....might be worth a look.
  • jbqueen
    jbqueen Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Lordy, Catholics are DEFINITELY allowed to drink! :drinker: :laugh: Wine is an important part of the Mass. I think more Christian religions allow alcohol consumption than forbid it, actually.
  • fififox
    fififox Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I see someone hmentioned barmbrack - one of my favourite things in the world! Now there is where tradition gets it right!
  • cyberskirt
    Options
    Schwein Füße oder Rouladen!!!!!
  • skessa
    Options
    Wiener Schnitzel is austrian :wink: ("Vienna style")

you could always make a "Streuselkuchen", I think that's very german. Or "Kässpätzle" - depending on where your family is from in Germany.
  • LondonEliza
    Options
    >> Last one <<

Potato farls - great hot or cold

(You could even add stewed pear or apple and blackberries to make the sweet version)

Ingredients
    Serves: 4

4 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
    1 pinch salt
    30g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
    1 tablespoon melted butter

Prep: 25 mins | Cook: 10 mins
    In a pot, cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer on medium-high heat until the centre of the potatoes are tender when checked with a fork, about 20 minutes. Turn off heat. Drain, return potatoes to pot and allow to completely dry out over remaining heat. Mash until smooth.
    Place warm mashed potato in medium bowl. Stir in flour, salt and melted butter. Mix lightly until dough forms.
    On a well floured surface, knead the dough lightly. The dough will be sticky. Use a floured rolling pin to flatten into a 9 inch circle about 1/4 inch thick.
    Cut into quarters using a floured knife.
    Sprinkle a little flour into the base of a dry frying pan and cook the farls for 3 minutes on each side or until evenly browned. Season with a little salt and serve straight away.

........ also goes great with another classic Irish dish - bacon and cabbage :)
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has said German potato salad. My grandmother used to make this all the time and my mom goes crazy for it. Although, it's probably a good thing that it hasn't been mentioned. It's a heart attack on a fork. I personally have not been brave enough to try it. lol.

On another note...Pretty awesome to find out though that black forest cake is of German decent. =)

Ohhhh, do you have the recipe? I effin' love potato salad! I'm okay with a heart attack on a fork. I'll just work out double the day before and the day after. (=

I asked my mom for her recipe. I can message you with it once I get it. =)
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    Hi there. I'm in Limerick :smile:

Bicarbonate of Soda is Bread Soda. I think that the really traditional Irish Soda Bread is generally plainer...can't imagine that seeds were too available here til the more recent advent of health food shops, lol. Also it is more usually savoury than sweet. I also imagine that smoked salmon was not too plentiful, but nowadays smoked salmon on buttered soda bread is a pretty common and delicious pairing. I was at a symposium in Turkey last year and we had to bring traditional foods and I got a vacuum packed side of smoked salmon and took that with me. A bit addicted to smoked salmon myself. I also prefer soda bread toasted and butter melted on it.

Very traditional is boiled bacon, potatoes and cabbage - dead plain - have to say that I am thrilled to have discovered world foods - for me traditional Irish food is not so exciting. I guess that the ingredients were not so varied or plentiful. Something like a porter cake would also be good? Boxty is a traditional potato pancake - recipes online.

Irish Soda Bread

Wholemeal Flour, 250 g
    Plain (white) Flour, 250 g
    Butter - Salted, 30 g
    Baking soda, 1 tsp
    Milk - Buttermilk, lowfat, 1.5 cup

Add the butter to the dry ingredients and rub it in - Add the buttermilk and mix together - Form into a round cake about 3/4 of an inch high, cut 2 lines across the top (from one side to the other side) to form a cross and bake - about 200C I think - I will have to check, but I imagine if you google Irish soda you will find the temperatures and cooking times are all about the same.

http://greatfood.ie/item_display.asp?cde=2&id=446

The link above is for a white soda bread courtesy of an Irish chef - Darina Allen. It tells you a bit of information about soda bread as well. On the right of the page there are links for Boxty, Irish stew, champ, etc....might be worth a look.

My great grandparents whom I live with, will thank you for giving me the "porter" bread recipe. Their last name is Porter. =D
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has said German potato salad. My grandmother used to make this all the time and my mom goes crazy for it. Although, it's probably a good thing that it hasn't been mentioned. It's a heart attack on a fork. I personally have not been brave enough to try it. lol.

On another note...Pretty awesome to find out though that black forest cake is of German decent. =)

Ohhhh, do you have the recipe? I effin' love potato salad! I'm okay with a heart attack on a fork. I'll just work out double the day before and the day after. (=

I asked my mom for her recipe. I can message you with it once I get it. =)

Thank you so much!
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    Schwein Füße oder Rouladen!!!!!

Uh, my german = very rusty....it was my first language but my grandpa died and he was the only one I spoke to in it. >.> Something about a pig?
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    <---- Is Catholic, drinks Beer/Wine/Adult drinks

Irish Soda Bread or Corned Beef and Cabbage would be my recommendation.

You could always bring in some Guinness! :)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    German strudel steam sauteed with onions and potatoes and served with kielbasa. YUM!
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    <---- Is Catholic, drinks Beer/Wine/Adult drinks

Irish Soda Bread or Corned Beef and Cabbage would be my recommendation.

You could always bring in some Guinness! :)

Id love to take some Guinness, but I'm quite sure I'd get in trouble for drinking during school hours. >.> It strictly says no alcohols on campus yet every weekend there's a party and like 3-4 car trunks full of alcohol lol
  • LondonEliza
    Options

Steak and Guinness Pie

Ingredients:
    • 1 kg Round steak
    • 1 Tbsp Flour
    • 1 tsp Brown sugar
    • 5 x Onions
    * 5 c carrots
    * 3 x celery sticks
    * Garlic
    • 300 ml Guinness
    • 8 Slices bacon
    • 3 oz Lard
    • Chopped parsley
    • Short pastry

Directions:

Sounds amazing! My fiance freakin' lovesssssssss guinness, I cannot express how much and he's a total carnivore so he can be my guinnie pig to see if I make it right lol

Excellent, well I hope he enjoys it then. My husband loved it - If the cook in the Sligo pub had been a woman, I think he would have left me for her! :)