30DS For Someone 300+ Pounds?

Options
2»

Replies

• verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Do what you can ...... stop when you can't ....... and each day do a little more of SOMETHING !

I applaud you taking charge of your health !
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I agree to be careful of knees and ankles. I'm 210 lbs, and I just started to be able to do the full workout with not stopping at all and no modifications except pushups because of a chest injury. I say go for it, just don't push yourself TOO much. What I did, was just do as far as I could go here and there. I'm on day 8 of the shred now.
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll be sure to pop back in when I actually get started. I'll have had my HRM for a week and a half when I start so I'll be able to get an accurate count for calorie burn too!
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    What I learned right off the bat was that I needed a better sports bra! The butt kicks and jumping jacks killed my chest, lol. I'm at 278 right now but started out over 300. I only do 30DS when I don't feel like going to the gym or outside but it really is a great workout and honestly I should do it more. You're able to get a great burn in sch a compact workout which is what I like. Just make sure you really pay attention and do the moves right too or you will be at risk of injuring yourself.

I literally just hold my boobs even with a real bra & sports bra on, they still bounce too much for my taste lol...I am at home and there is no one there to watch and laugh....but ya...I agree a good sports bra is essential :)

Do what you can, do the easy version....as long as your doing it and doing your best...Jillian even says "I have had 400lb people do jumping jacks if they can - you can too..." or something to that affect on the DVD so GO FOR IT!!! :bigsmile:
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels says, during 30DS "I have 300, 400 pound people doing this exercise, so you can too." Which, I think, means it would be okay for you to do. Especially since you are already doing a fair amount of exercise. You might even find it not as difficult as you expect. It doesn't hurt to try it. Maybe you can get it from the library first so you don't put out the money until you know you like it (that's what I did; never bought 30DS but did get RI30 and several others of hers)

I agree with the poster who said watch your joints, especially knees in the squats and lunges. But proper form should be all it takes.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Wow you all blow me away even considering that at the higher weights. I am 318 right now. Not long ago I tried a few jumping jacks and I couldn't get past a couple. It felt like my knees were going to expode. My fat apron had a huge flop that seemed to jar every joint in my body so hard I didn't dare try again.

Since then I have had the abdominal hernia diagnosos, of which while offered surgery I decided to avoid for now. But it does heighten my fear of injury overall. It all makes me wonder how safely I can push myself without injury. So far I have been walking or using an exercise bike and playing it safe. But I don't want do to that forever.

I am glad to see this thread and see what others push to. Wow! Such inspiration.

How does one decide between pain that needs pushed through or pain that is about to cause a major joint injury?

There is pain and there is sore- they are very different. Sore is okay, and you should be sore after a work out- and even two days after. Pain is not good.
  • spcr0428
    Options
    Be CAREFUL on your knees. I found that Wii Activ has an amazing alternative. My knees are crap; when I was 300 pounds and where I am right now (159). Wii lets you create programs, and the cardio boxing is awesome. Don't risk injuries; maybe see a trainer before embarking on jumping jacks; it's just not worth the injury! GOOD LUCK and make sure you enjoy everything! Wii lets you set a "challenge" as well. The BL also has a wii game; just be careful; I'm just an elliptical person because I've been injured and will prevent it as much as possible.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Just be careful in your knees. Squats and jumping jacks can take a toll on them, so be mindful. I say go for it!

I agree with this! I started the 30DS last month and ended up hurting my left knee. Had to take 2 weeks off, but am now back at it. Doc told me to purchase a knee brace and I wear it everytime I shred. Listen to your body and go slow. Soon enough you will be able to shred away.

And congrats on the weight loss!! Keep up the good work!
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I did this at just under 300lbs. It was hard, and I had to keep stopping. For the jumping, I just bounced for the first bit, then jumped once or twice to her 16 (yeah, I'm generalising :P), but eventually by the end of the 10 days of Level 1 I was okay doing it.
    It really does work, and it's brilliant for weight loss.
    I say go for it, and good luck :D
  • zumba89
    Options
    I start 30DS back when I was 350. I think I stayed on level one for 2 weeks OH men it was a killier on my knees. I moved up to level 2 and just stop and never did it again. After see you post I'm thinking about trying out again.
  • holtzgirl
    Options
    Hi! I just saw jumping jacks stuff, and I was wondering how far apart your feet are when you jump. Does Jillian teach you feet shoulder width? I teach water fitness, but I have also trained for kickboxing (cardio). My certifier is awesome, and she's a huge safety nut and teaches body mechanics (her hubby is a MLB safety guy for the players). Shoulder width (I know, it doesn't seem that big a deal) is how far your foot spread should be. Otherwise, it puts more pressure on hips, knees, etc, even after just a few jacks. TRUST ME, IT STILL GETS THE JOB DONE!!!

Just something to keep in mind, especially when we have a lot of weight to lose.

I'm so proud of you for being so determined. Keep up the good work!!
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just saw jumping jacks stuff, and I was wondering how far apart your feet are when you jump. Does Jillian teach you feet shoulder width? I teach water fitness, but I have also trained for kickboxing (cardio). My certifier is awesome, and she's a huge safety nut and teaches body mechanics (her hubby is a MLB safety guy for the players). Shoulder width (I know, it doesn't seem that big a deal) is how far your foot spread should be. Otherwise, it puts more pressure on hips, knees, etc, even after just a few jacks. TRUST ME, IT STILL GETS THE JOB DONE!!!

Just something to keep in mind, especially when we have a lot of weight to lose.

I'm so proud of you for being so determined. Keep up the good work!!

Ya, that is how I've been doing them and they don't hurt unless I do them for a while. When I was putting them farther apart my knees were hurting so bad!
  • Rimroses
    Rimroses Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Be super super careful of your knees. I severly injured mine doing it and I am 177. Just be careful! It is a super good workout, but I had to stop after 6 days and I have been in severe pain for about a week andI have a doctors appt on Tuesday. Again, just be careful and listen to your body, not Jillian! She tells you to push through, but if your body is telling you differently, listen to it!
  • drummer_lady
    drummer_lady Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I was just under 300 pounds when I started the 30DS. I wasn't doing it every day at the time though so that might have made a difference. I didn't have any problems with my joints, but I can definitely see how that could be a problem for some people with how high impact some of the moves are. I say go for it, but modify if you need to and just listen to your body. If it is too much and it is causing you pain, then stop and put it on hold for awhile.