Help with my heart rate...

Options
So I have just started the C25K program and I can't seem to keep my HR in my zone. I have always struggled with it, no matter what type of aerobic activity I've done. Does anyone have any tips on how to better control it? Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Oh, and I have always used a HRM to keep track.

THANKS!

Replies

• dallen388
    Options
    I've personally just concentrated more on my breathing and keeping a steady pace and I think that has helped with my heart rate. I am still new to this running stuff too so I am sure someone else can help you out a bit more. I am at 2.8 miles at a rate of 4.8 mph right now...a bit more of a jog. Concentration is key for me.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    It goes too high or too low?
  • michellekicks
    Options
    Meh... regardless, I think you're better off going with perceived rate of exertion. If you're comfortable doing what you're doing, you're probably just fine. My HR never stays very low when I run... I think my lactate threshold is high too... I run with my HR around 150-170... even faster when I'm racing, and I can keep that up for over 2 hours straight.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    your HR is very important when it come to endurance. Find out what YOUR target "aerobic" HR is and stay in that zone no matter what speed-the longer you run-your HR will drop and you can increase speed to stay in your NEW zone.

a "jog" for me used to be at 5mph-now it is 6.2 mph-you will get there, I promise!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are very well hydrated. When you are dehydrated your total blood volume decreases and your heart pumps less blood per contraction. As a result, more pumps are required to get enough oxygen to your working muscles.

Do lots of interval training... Alternate a bit of hard running with a bit of moderate running or fast walking. C25k is perfect for this!

Focused, rhythmic, deep breathing is also key to controlling heart rate during exertion.

The more you increase your cardiovascular fitness, the more work you will be able to accomplish with less of an increase in your heart rate.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    So I have just started the C25K program and I can't seem to keep my HR in my zone. I have always struggled with it, no matter what type of aerobic activity I've done. Does anyone have any tips on how to better control it? Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Oh, and I have always used a HRM to keep track.

THANKS!

Could you be more specific? What zone are you talking about? Is your heart rate too high?
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doc. I don't worry about keeping mine in the "zone," because if I do that, I'm not working. I have a low resting heart rate and a high exerting heart rate, and that's always been the case, even as far back as running track & cross country as a kid. The zones are guidelines. My docs have all said it's not a problem for me.
  • Amber824
    Amber824 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    For those that have asked, my zone is 134-162. There are times when I reach 185-190 and at that point, I have to stop and rest....
  • are you feeling dizzy, nauseous, or faint at all when your heart rate increases? if so, I would recommend speaking to a doctor. Also, when you stop do rest, does your heart rate go back down quickly?
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    This has always been an issue for me as well...I have tried running several times over the last few years but almost always have given up because no matter how slow I pace myself and how I concentrate on breathing, I can only run for (my latest PR) 1 minute, 25 seconds at a time. Considering when I started, I could only run 8 seconds at a time, that's a big improvement. And then when I'm on a cardio machine like an elliptical or a stationary bike, I hit my target HR rate in less than 30 seconds. Ugh....

I know it will improve the more used to it I get, but when my sister can run for hours at a time and I see people at the gym who are twice my size who can run steadily on a treadmill for 30 minutes without stopping, well, it's all very demoralizing for me. I know I should just stick with it, but back in the day even when I was out dancing 5 nights a week, I never could dance to an entire song without feeling as if my heart was going to burst. Doctors have checked and they say there's nothing wrong with my heart.

Any other tips in addition to just sticking with it and breathing properly? Thanks!
  • michellekicks
    Options
    For those that have asked, my zone is 134-162. There are times when I reach 185-190 and at that point, I have to stop and rest....

In that case, and assuming you're properly hydrated and not unwell, I would suggest slowing down by running shorter strides for the time being. If you have to stop and rest you're just going too fast. Take it real slow like a shuffle almost until your cardiovascular health improves a over time and you can just move faster.