Need calories but no protein!

Options
13»

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    There are a few scenarios where it's possible to gain muscle while losing fat.

- The first of those is in overfat beginners. I want to really stress the term overfat in the above sentence. This phenomenon doesn’t happen in lean beginners for reasons I’m going to explain in a second.
    - A second situation where this phenomenon occurs readily is folks returning from a layoff. Folks who are previously lean and muscular but who get out of shape (whether deliberately or not) often find that they get back into shape much faster than they did initially: they seem to magically replace fat with muscle. In fact, with the advent of before/after transformation pictures for supplements, this has become a growth industry: people who are already in great shape will deliberately get out of great shape so that they can quickly reattain their previous shape in a short period. Apparently there is huge money in selling such before/after pictures to help move supplements.
    - Steroids

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html

And for what its worth, most people think they gained muscle, but its a combination of increases strength due to CNS adaptations and lower body fat, making it "appear" they've created new muscle tissue while on a calorie deficit.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Protein is not evil. Have more protein.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Just stay around 20 grams of protein per meal, and shoot for half your body weight in protein.
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    1gram of protein per 1lb of lean body mass (not total weight) is optimal

Had to read all these posts to get to this statement above. I'm not getting into the mud slinging, I can do that at home with my kids. Thanks for pointing this out - LEAN BODY MASS and not total body weight.

Now, where's my :drinker: so I can get back to the show!
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    OP (and anyone else for that matter), you can change the Macro Settings to adjust the MFP default. Rather than remember that you can eat more protein simply change it to something more balanced. I use 40% Carb/40% Protein/20% Fat but you could also do something else like 40%/30%/30%. This will provide a more balanced diet and you will not have to worry about going over Protein any longer.

Go My Home, then Goals and do Custom. Change the %'s and Save Changes and you're done.
  • xXKatrinaXx
    Options
    MFP recomendations suck, aim for 1-2g of protein per lb that you weigh.
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    eat a salad and dont worry about going over on protein
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    What? Someone scared of getting too much protein? I'm always worried about not getting enough!
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    uuh chips?
  • meghanp92
    Options
    The only problem with having too much protein on a regular basis is that it can kind of back up your bowels if you know what I mean haha. Make sure you're keeping up with your fiber too, but don't increase that too much all at once either or you'll have the same problem!
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the "don't worry about going over the MFP protein recommendation" thing. I'd also just like to add: protein is really good at keeping you feeling full. So if you're trying to lose weight, eat plenty of lean meats and/or vegetarian proteins (in addition to water and fibre, which are a couple of other major ones for keeping you feeling full).

Unless you have tons of money and don't mind regularly spending a substantial amount of time cooking off and eating chicken breast and lean fish, or you really, REALLY like the taste of protein powders, it's going to be hard to overdose on protein.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

1gram of protein per 1lb of lean body mass (not total weight) is optimal

This is what I am doing as well and I feel better than I have in years!

(For the fairy - - - this is 1 gram per pound of LEAN BODY MASS - - - not total body weight. Not that it will matter, I'm sure.)
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    It's totally fine to go over on protein. Don't worry about it. However if you don't want any more protein for the day, have some fruit or vegetables.
  • aforange
    aforange Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses guys!

And yeees, I was serious. I'm new at this so I got kinda spooked by the BLARING RED OH SWEET JESUS NO color of the minus when I went over. I got a really handy message through and I'm going to start upping my protein, especially since I've got into quite a bit of weight training as of late. I tend to follow things religiously so yeah - minor moment of stupidity.

Is there any particular reason MFP's protein limits are so low?
  • IronTitaness
    Options
    Don't worry about that protein. Honestly. Now hit a piece of chicken, turkey or a can of tuna ;)
  • aforange
    aforange Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Don't mind if I do, yum!
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Is there any particular reason MFP's protein limits are so low?

It's because MFP largely follows conventional wisdom that a good diet is full of carbs.