Tired of being anemic. Ba dum dum!

Options
2»

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Um, no. it is not usual for any young menstruating woman to get anemic if not taking an iron supplement.
    Any young menstruating woman will get anemic without taking a multivitamin with iron.

Check out nutritiondata.com, and search by nutrient, this is an easy way to get more of a certain nutrient.

Lack of iron is not the only thing that will make you anemic. Lack of B vitamins will do that too. So, get yourself a one-a-day with iron.

Also, Post grapenuts or Total cereal are great sources of both B vitamins and iron. Have strawberries on your cereal, or kiwi, for vitamin C, which will increase absorption. Nothing yummier than a bowl of yogurt, strawberries or kiwi, and grapenuts!!!! Mmm!

Eat red meat, unless you need to avoid it for some reason. Spaghetti sauce with tomatoes and beef, good choice.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Please take charge of your health.

There are many reasons to be anemic. Iron deficiency is only one of them.

You need to ask your doctor what the cause of your anemia is. If your iron level is low, you'll need to take iron. It's not a "supplement". It's a necessity. If your B12 level is low, you'll need to take B12. It's not a "supplement". It's a necessity.

Again - - - please take charge of your health. Ask questions and take action.

^I agree with this completely!
  • ldholcombe
    ldholcombe Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I have heard having vitamin C can help. Does it count if put some lemon or lime juice in my water whenever I eat meals? Because I usually already do that.

I don't want to take the supplements because I think it's better to eat your vitamins naturally whenever possible. Also I'm afraid of the iron supplements messing up my digestion-- I've heard they do that. Anyone have experience with that?

Well eating the vitamins you need obiviously is not working. You are just going to be doing the same thing you all ready were. So I don't get why you bothered asking for help if your not going to take the advice given to you.
  • mandersatx
    Options
    Try sublingual b-complex. If you don't have the right b vitamins, you can eat all the spinach, ect you want and not process the iron in it. And go to the doctor and have a blood workup done. Knowing exactly where your vitamin levels are will help you and the doctor figure out what you need to take to improve the situation.

Good luck.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Get B12 levels checked.
    Get checked for celiac disease.
    Exchange at least a portion of the spinach for other dark greens. Spinach contains oxalates, which block the absorption of iron.
    Cook in cast iron.
    Combine vitamin C and iron rich foods.
    Don't take calcium or other minerals at the same time as iron.

I was actually anemic until I went vegetarian; meat is certainly not the cure for everyone!
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I've been having low iron too. Dr. Told me to take Flintstone's COMPLETE. It has 100%. The multivitamins made me sick but these are not so bad.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Google other iron rich foods, like seafood, tomatoes, and other iron fortified foods, like pasta or cereal.

I donate plasma, and in addition to the vitamin C, as others mentioned, I eat Total Cereal. One serving has 100% of the daily value. I like to eat a half serving on yogurt.
  • eclare87
    eclare87 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! I know I can see a doctor but I wanted to know if any one else struggles with this and what they've done or if there is a simple solution that I'm not seeing-- other than taking a pill.

Again, for those of you that eat iron-fortified cereals, is it not canceled out when you eat it with milk or yogurt? Just curious how that works.
  • loubeth22
    Options
    I have Hemochromatiosis. Basically I absorb a crap load of iron from my food (near 3x normal amount) but I cannot use it. Just floats around blocking up all the important bits like my liver and heart. So I understand not wanting to use suppliments as it tends to make my particular problem worst. I am a high iron anemic.

There are times that I do become properly anemic when all I do eat is spinach and white meat etc for months and then the only solution is to take in a hit of iron. I can't take much or risk damaging organs I'd rather be healthy.
    1)I eat a steak - I know you don't want to do this, thats your choice
    2)take a few iron pills over the course of a week until I steady out
    3)ignore it to the point my doctor has to step in with an iron injection

You aren't going to up your iron levels easily with just spinach and beans. You need to get ahead of your low iron and then you can maintain with spinach and beans. I just went over 8 months before having to eat a steak, and that was just because I wanted to. My baby sister (18yrs) is the same and as far as I'm aware the only red meat she gets is the mince in spagetti once every 3 months or so and she has yet to need to change anything about her diet. Thats because I was diagnosed first and we were able to watch out for her before she hit puberty.

Do yourself a favour. Go see your doctor and work out how much iron you actually need or go buy an iron suppliment/multi with iron and take it for a week. You'll feel so much better and will be able to continue your current diet without changing your intake.
  • FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, it sounds like you've diagnosed yourself as chronically anemic based on a few experiences with a blood bank. Please correct me if I'm wrong. A doctor should diagnose you as anemic, you can't just decide that you have a chronic problem based on a few symptoms and information from a blood bank.

I've been anemic my whole life, and I've had three different hematologists. There are many different types of anemia, and they're all treated with different things (iron upplements, diet, vitamin supplements, etc.). In my situation, no amount of iron relieves the anemia, and all three hematologists agreed that I was just chronically anemic, and taking any kind of supplement/changing diet was useless. It's just something I live with daily and there's nothing I can do about it. The only thing that's helped (and doctor recommended) was to take BC pills straight through and only menstruate once or twice a year to prevent blood loss (and therefore an even lower amount of iron in my system).

You need to see a doctor, preferably a hematologist. They will order tests and put you on different supplements (and test a couple of weeks after starting these supplements) to see what works for you.

Please don't seek the advice of others on a public forum. What worked for their anemia may not work for you. Or you may find out that you don't have chronic anemia...it could have been a coincidence that the few times you went to the blood bank your iron levels were low. Either way, see a doctor.
  • ReyneDrop
    ReyneDrop Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! I know I can see a doctor but I wanted to know if any one else struggles with this and what they've done or if there is a simple solution that I'm not seeing-- other than taking a pill.

Again, for those of you that eat iron-fortified cereals, is it not canceled out when you eat it with milk or yogurt? Just curious how that works.

It's not fully cancelled out. It's not like you eat a little bit of calcium and suddenly your body says it can't take in any iron. It pretty much all works out by concentration. Typically speaking, if you eat a serving of grape nuts (90% DV Fe) with half a cup of milk (15% DV Ca), you're going to absorb at least some of the iron.

But if you're really worried about it, eat it dry. I happen to love the taste of grape nuts in water! Adding just 2 tbsp a day will give you a really good iron boost.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have chronic severe anemia due to celeaci disease - i get intravenous iron infusions in hospital every few months to bring my feritin levels back up (my body wont store it)

Other things to use are:
    - folic acid (with vitamin C)
    - Kale
    - spinach
    - oysters
    - liver

also try to cut down on coffee/tea amd alcohol which inhibit iron absorption.
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    As far as I'm concerned, when your doctor tells you to take some, they stop being supplements and start being medication. I'm like this with iron and vitamin D, my body just does not seem to retain these at all, so I take supplements.

I'd agree that it's best coming from food, but can you fathom the sheer amount of food you'd have to eat each day to get all the nutrients you need?
  • Songbird1104
    Songbird1104 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Blackstrap Molasses.

It's chock full of iron; I took it while I was pregnant and after my daughter's birth to get my levels back up. It also has lots of other great benefits: keeps your stools loose so you don't get constipated (a common drawback of iron supplements), and contains vitamins, too.

I just put a few heaping tablespoons into a glass of hot water and throw in a bit of milk, but you can drink it to taste, or incorporate it into cooking recipes. It doesn't taste bad.

I've found it at farmer's markets, and recently saw it in the organic section of Giant Food Stores. Make sure it's blackstrap, not regular molasses. Good luck!
  • malayabee
    Options
    Definitely see a doctor... Angular chelitis can also be caused by a vitiman B deficiency.

I'm anemic, and take a daily iron supplement with a vitamin C supplement. I started on a "high" dose, and have gradually been decreasing my iron dosage under my doctor's supervision. Watch your caffeine intake with iron; caffeine can sometimes slow the absorption. As can calcium and other minerals. I usually take my iron and C first thing in the morning with a glass of water, and then have my coffee an hour or two later.

There are TONS of foods that are high in iron, if you're not interested in taking a supplement... But honestly, taking a supplement is often the easiest way to get the iron your body needs. Fresh veggies often lose some of their nutrient content as soon as they are picked... Factor in travel time and time on the shelf, and you may not be getting as much iron from your spinach as you think you are.
  • ReyneDrop
    ReyneDrop Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Blackstrap Molasses.

It's chock full of iron; I took it while I was pregnant and after my daughter's birth to get my levels back up. It also has lots of other great benefits: keeps your stools loose so you don't get constipated (a common drawback of iron supplements), and contains vitamins, too.

I just put a few heaping tablespoons into a glass of hot water and throw in a bit of milk, but you can drink it to taste, or incorporate it into cooking recipes. It doesn't taste bad.

I've found it at farmer's markets, and recently saw it in the organic section of Giant Food Stores. Make sure it's blackstrap, not regular molasses. Good luck!

Added benefit: high in potassium! While I know that's not your problem... most women love the anti-bloating effects of high K!