BUTTERNUT SQUASH

Options
Heyas cooking folk :-)

I bought myself a butternu tsquash the other day! I've never cooked it before...

So I'm asking you lot for some AWESOME ideas, best tasting recipes you know! It can be a bit unusual even.

Ready...Set... GGGGOOOOOO!!!!

cheers:flowerforyou:

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    pecans, truvia, and butter. maybe some cinnamon or nutmeg.
    yum.

stuffed with ground beef, onions, tomatoes.

google recipes if you don't get enough recommendations on here.

bake it and mash it is a simple way too instead of carbier potatoes.
  • wilkyway
    Options
    Mhmm pecans... thanks! :-)
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    I cube them, add a little olive oil and seasonings, and roast them.

Also cook and then mash with a little brown sugar or maple sugar, top with crushed pecans.

There are some awesome butternut squash soup recipes out there.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Take the half brush it with some olive oil and a little salt pepper. Cook cut side down in a 425 degree oven for about 35 mins.

In the meantime saute 1/2 large onion or 1 small onion, with one portabella mushroom, with some fresh sage, 2 garlic cloves, and red pepper flakes (I use a lot because I like it spicy but just do to taste) Once onions are translucent set aside.

When the squash is done, flip it over and fill the hole and along the squash with the mushroom mix and cook for another 10 mins.

It is delicious, the spiciness of the mushrooms and the sweetness of the squash is yummy!
  • E_K71
    E_K71 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I make bns chips ( fries )
    Just cut them into sizes you like for your chips, then lightly coat them or spray in oil, and sprinkle paprika, and cook them in the oven, usually about 35 to 40 mins, depending on your oven and the amount of chips

It was an oldie from weight watchers, and then they were free food, so i ate loads, alas now i have to include the cals :ohwell: but they are not as high as ordinary chips
    Some people didnt even peel them :huh:
    not sure i fancy the sound of that, so i just struggle away and peel ,but the skin is safe to eat

Also the rounder part thats not great for making into chip shapes, i use that in either potato mash, carrot or turnip.
    Also there is lots of variations on bns soups, if you google some recipes, you can make spicy soups etc . Ive only made soup once with it, and it was lovely :happy:
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I cut them in half, gut out the seeds, then roast them cut side down for about an hour. When done, I scoop out the squash, and add some bacon fat (we don't eat butter), salt, a little brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice.

I've also been known to use the squash in a pumpkin pie, instead of the pumpkin. You can't really tell the difference.

One daughter goes nuts for butternut squash soup. Just roast that puppy, scoop out the squash, mash it up really well, add to chicken stock, season to taste, and voila. Easy breezy.

My wife likes squash fries. Peel and seed the squash, cut into french fries, coat with a little bit of oil, and roast for about an hour. Season with salt, pepper, paprika (or cayenne), and a touch of cinnamon, and oh yeah. Squash fries.

Enjoy!
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I boil mine in chicken broth and blend it together for soup. I add one can of coconut milk, curry powder, salt, pepper, a dash of cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder, baby spinach leaves and shrimp. It tastes good with crescent rolls and/or jasmine rice.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    This recipe is for Twice Baked Butternut Squash. It makes 6 servings, if you need less the ingredients will need to be changed.

Ingredients
    6 butternut squash (about 9 pounds total)
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
    1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon nonfat sour cream
    2 teaspoons paprika
    6 fresh chives, cut into 1/8-inch pieces
    3 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs, lightly toasted

Directions
    Heat oven to 450 degrees with the rack in center. Halve squash lengthwise, and remove seeds and fibers. Sprinkle squash halves with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Fill a roasting pan with 1/4 inch water. Place squash in pan. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake until squash is tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from oven, transfer squash to a cool surface, and let cool enough to handle. Reduce oven temperature to 425 degrees.

Use a spoon to scoop baked flesh out of each half into a large bowl, leaving a 1/4-inch border around six of the halves so they will keep their shape. To the bowl, add sour cream, paprika, chives, and remaining teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix with a handheld electric mixer or potato masher until smooth and well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Fill six squash halves with mixture (discard remaining six empty halves). Sprinkle tops with toasted breadcrumbs. Bake until golden brown and warm throughout, 20 to 30 minutes. Serve.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    This is the best butternut squash recipe ever. Copied from Smitten Kitchen (http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/01/warm-butternut-squash-and-chickpea-salad/)

For salad:
    1 medium butternut squash (about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
    1 medium garlic clove, minced or pressed
    1/2 teaspoons ground allspice (I skip this)
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    Salt
    One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (1 1/2 cups)
    1/4 of a medium red onion, finely chopped
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley

For tahini dressing:
    1 medium garlic clove, finely minced with a pinch of salt
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    3 tablespoons well-stirred tahini
    2 tablespoons water
    2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more to taste

Preheat the oven to 425°F.

In a large bowl, combine the butternut squash, garlic, allspice, olive oil, and a few pinches of salt. Toss the squash pieces until evenly coated. Roast them on a baking sheet for 25 minutes, or until soft. Remove from the oven and cool.

Meanwhile, make the tahini dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic and lemon juice. Add the tahini, and whisk to blend. Add the water and olive oil, whisk well, and taste for seasoning. The sauce should have plenty of nutty tahini flavor, but also a little kick of lemon. You will probably need to add more water to thin it out.

To assemble the salad, combine the squash, chickpeas, onion, and cilantro or parsley in a mixing bowl. Either add the tahini dressing to taste, and toss carefully, or you could serve the salad with the dressing on the side. Serve immediately.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I run butternut squash through my spiral slicer to make oven-baked fries for my husband.

Its a great natural thickener for soups and casseroles.

Fresh made soup is always a good thing too!
  • hendongirl
    hendongirl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    the most tasty veg EVER! bump!
  • wilkyway
    Options
    OH my! Thanks everyone so far!!! This is fabulous :-))) I LOVE squash/pumpkin season!
  • MissPatty584
    MissPatty584 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    bump
  • WandaVonDunajew
    WandaVonDunajew Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    1. melt a tablespoon of butter, mix with garam masala, some salt, pour over half of butternut squash slices, bake in the oven.
    2. melt a tablespoon of butter, mix with 1 teaspoon raw sugar/stevia.sweetener oh choice, some cinnamon, chai spices, pour over other half of butternut squash slices, bake in the oven.
    3. eat, get to Nirvana.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    cube and roast
    fry one leek (chopped)
    cube 1 block fetta,
    add all to cooked spagetti and some baby spinach leaves.
    mix
    sprinkle on some parmesean
    bake for 15-20 mins

enjoy.

My other fav isn't healthy,
    take a plain pizza base, spread with satay sauce, add roasted squash feta and mozarella and sometimes peppers (capsicums)

ohhhhh yeah baby its good.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid my Mom used to stuff it with a meatloaf. I have taken my light turkey meatloaf and done the same. Scoop out the seeds. Then remove a little more of the flesh to chop and put in the meatloaf mix (how ever you like yours). Microwave the empty halves, covered for 8 min. Then stuff them and bake them for 45 min. This is so good.
  • Pandy1962
    Pandy1962 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I make soup with them, it is amazing with 1 grilled sausage sliced thinly into the soup as you serve. The mixture of the textures, and the contrast of sweetness from the squash and the saltiness of the sausage is fantastic. The sausage act like croutons, so you do not need extra bread or anything with it.
  • veggievixen79
    veggievixen79 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Some of these recipes sound amazing!

Try mine too--
    Cubed bns, a can of coconut milk, curry powder and chili flakes to taste. Simmer on med-low until you can peirce the squash easily with a fork. The coconut milk will thicken into the best sauce you have ever tasted!!!

Serve over rice/noodles/"cauliflower rice" etc. Make lots cause everyone will probably want seconds.

I made this for a friend once and she says it was so good that she still has dreams about it sometimes!
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    My favourite is just to peel it with a potato peeler, chop it into cubes and then roast it in the oven with olive oil and spices. SO GOOD... Tend to eat it with Puy lentils and a dollop of Greek yoghurt. Leftovers are good reheated in the microwave at work too.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    bump!