Hello - newbie in need of help and support :)

Options
Hi

Was sitting at work with my head on my desk in desperation this morning when I typed a random question into google about why I am not losing weight and found this godsend of a site and have signed up.

I have been trying to lose a stone for past year with no real success (lose 1/2 stone and then put back on, you know the story). I have been having 1000 cals a day for past month and exercising. My exercise program consists of the following:-

30 minute brisk walks 3 times a week
Strength exercises 3 days a week which include:_
4 x 25 reps of Sit ups/lat raises/bicep curls/tricep dips/lunges/squats/plank
Using 1-2lb weights so just going to tone rather than bulk!

I initially lost 4lbs the first fortnight and then put it back on over the next two weeks and am now back to where I started. I have also tried WW and lost 1/2 with that but then put it back on so am frustrated with not knowing what to do.

I love the fact that MFP works out the fat. protein and carbs of my meal for me and tells me what I need to do to lose weight - I am now on 1200 cals a day and should hopefully lose 1lb a week which is less than I wanted to but prob better in the long run.

Really happy to be here! :)

Replies

• LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! Utilization of this site has helped many! All the best to you on your journey to good health! :flowerforyou:
  • Willemsjl
    Options
    Hello newbie here too, good luck hope it all goes well.
  • Aboele79
    Options
    Hey there,
    This is a great site, great for accountablity and meeting people . You might actually find that you are not getting enough calories in your day i think the general minimum is 1200 cal a day. if you are not getting enough in your day. your body will go into starvation mode and hang on to every calorie you eat. Maybe get some advice from a nutritionist. Good luck on your journey
    :D
  • kachochan
    Options
    Hi there!
    It seems that you've been very consistent with your exercise, but how well do you know calories?
    If you were asked how many calories are in an apple, a muffin, a macaroni and cheese, an avocado, a cup of yoghurt, 100 gr grilled chicken etc - would you instantly know?
    Can you also estimate the weight of cooked dishes, like if you see a bowl of fried veggies, would you know its weight?

I realized that knowing that is the key to success.
    Because I had know idea what things were and didn't lose a pound, and I started losing only when I bought kitchen scales and iPhone applications where I could see products' calories.

If you do that and keep exercising, you will lose weight.
    Best of luck,
    Kacho
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    This site is an awesome way to track your calories!
    First step into losing more weight!
    welcome aboard!
  • sarahsummers12
    sarahsummers12 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Welcome :-) Feel free to add me as a friend.... you will find lots of support and helpful info on this site :-)
  • oidage
    oidage Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Another newbie here - well i joined a few months ago and gave up again but i really want to get into it now. Like the op i have a stone or so i'd like to lose but i've been trying to lose it forever. I have 3 young boys and the older 2 are in school so i'm hoping to exercise in the morning after i drop them off. The only option open to me re exercise is walking as i don't have any family in the area to mind the kids and my dh is working away so can't do classes in the evening. I'm wary of buying any equipment as i've gone down that road before and it ends up sitting there and i don't have much room either. I might root out an old exercise dvd later on and try to do 20 mins tonight when the kids are in bed. hoping to make a few friends on this site so we can motivate each other.
    Talk soon,
    SL
  • teachsuccess
    teachsuccess Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This site is really working for me - I hope it does the same for you. I also recommend only weighing yourself once or twice a week, at the same time, in the same type of outfit (or bare naked). I found when I weighed myself each day, I would become very frustrated. You have to think of it like the long-term process it is. You didn't put on the weight overnight and it won't come off overnight.

Best of luck! I wish you lots of health!
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I love the fact that MFP works out the fat. protein and carbs of my meal for me and tells me what I need to do to lose weight - I am now on 1200 cals a day and should hopefully lose 1lb a week which is less than I wanted to but prob better in the long run.

Check this link - it sounds to me like you arent eating enough calories - took a long time for me to wrap my head around that one - this will help you figure out how many calories you should be eating. MFP can be pretty general at times and as we all know we arent all one size fits all.

Raven

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Wheelie_UK
    Options
    Hi,

It would be really helpful if you could open up your food diary, so we can offer more authoritative help. It also helps others to learn what works and what does not. :)

I have sent you a private message in conjunction with a friend request to see if I might be able be of any further help. :)

All the best.
  • sneuman615
    Options
    Honestly, you need to eat at least 1200 calories a day. . . more if you're wanting to lose at least two pounds a week. This is a crazy journey, with it's ups and downs, but use the support system that MFP has here and you're bound to get it right! Good luck. If you want to, you can friend me and see what my diary looks like daily and for motivation!
    :smile:
  • mamaward64
    mamaward64 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Welcome, sounds like you are moving right along by bumping up the calories. All I know from previous failures is to balance my food and exercise. I wish you the best.
    I can't remember what a stone weighs but I had lost 80 doing ww at one point, then I got ill and gained it all back. I am now starting over on my journey and hoping I can learn something new along the way.
  • Jeshkah_Grace
    Options
    Anyone feel free to add me :)
  • Hillpoint
    Options
    Hi I came across this site by chance to, signed up yesterday. I have tried every diet going and never stick to it for long ad end up piling on the weight so this time I thought slowly but surely just cutting down and eating healthly, does definately put you off eating something when you check how many caleries are in it!!! good luck xx
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I've been on MFP for about 18 months, I'm pretty much always on here, thanks to my iPhone, I never judge peoples diaries or food habits, I think we support each other regardless.

Feel free to add me.

WELCOME.

Craig

A diet is a lifestyle not life sentence, so don't punish yourself.
  • LCgymnast
    Options
    Welcome Welcome. Happy that you're here also. I'll add you to all the support and motivation you need. That's why I love this site...people all together trying to push each other towards their main goal of losing weight. Keep it up! You'll see the results soon!
  • kiangel
    kiangel Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Good luck , I am losing normally 2lb a week eating about the 1200 ish :) Anyone feel free to add me as a friend :smile:
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you like :)
  • capie123
    Options
    This site is inspirational and motivating. And to think it's all free!!! You can do it! Many to help!
  • tabbycatts
    tabbycatts Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Check this link - it sounds to me like you arent eating enough calories - took a long time for me to wrap my head around that one - this will help you figure out how many calories you should be eating. MFP can be pretty general at times and as we all know we arent all one size fits all.

Raven

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Thank you Raven for the site. I will take time to read and understand it.