Sore muscle remedies?

Options
I had my second ballet lesson on Saturday. Since then, my leg muscles (quads) have been KILLING ME. I tried stretching, hot showers...I managed to get up and work out this morning but they are so painful and stiff, it was a struggle.

Any suggestions that have worked for you? I don't want it to hold me back this week. I stretched before the class but obviously I stretched the wrong muscles or I didn't do it right. :(

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    More exercise.
  • pixelberry
    pixelberry Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Soaking in a warm Epsom salt bath has helped me before.
  • lleelloo
    lleelloo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Soy Protein
  • JB5349
    JB5349 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Try Voltaren - it is for muscle soreness, takes the edge off while you are doing more exercise to the the lactic acid moving. I found that it was the extra support that i needed
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    More exercise.

More than an hour/day 6-7 days/week?
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Try Voltaren - it is for muscle soreness, takes the edge off while you are doing more exercise to the the lactic acid moving. I found that it was the extra support that i needed

Where do you find it? Thanks for the advice.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Soy Protein

LOL
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Soaking in a warm Epsom salt bath has helped me before.

I will give this a try. We've got a tub with jets at home-I think that may help. Thank you!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Potassium, i.e. a banana
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    IcyHot and ibuprofen.
  • 05HeatherLouise05
    05HeatherLouise05 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I tried a Warm bath with Vinegar once, someone told me that it helped drain the Lactic Acid from the muscles. Seemed to work Lol
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    More exercise.

More than an hour/day 6-7 days/week?

Go for a walk.
    Increased blood flow to sore area.
    Quick relief.
    faster recovery.
  • alexandra0713
    alexandra0713 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I use to suffer from chronic muscle soreness. It has gotten better since I have increased my daily protein to .8 grams per pound of body weight. I'm not sure how much protein you eat per day, but this might help.
  • jeniefrumdabloc
    Options
    Epson Salt Hot baths are great, I didn't believe my friend at first but when I actually tried it, it was wonderful! It eased the pain a lot :smile:
  • lleelloo
    Options
    Soy Protein

LOL

Why lol? I was being serious :S

Soy Protein Powder
    Soy protein's high level of antioxidants may help decrease exercise-induced muscle damage. Scientists from the Ohio State University investigated the impact of soy protein on lipid peroxides, which causes stress in muscle cells that lead to damage. Subjects received soy protein or whey protein while undergoing intense resistance exercise. At the end of the study, which was reported in the December 2005 issue of the "Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness," scientists discovered that the soy protein group experienced decreases in lipid peroxides compared to the whey protein group.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/342777-what-foods-help-recover-from-sore-muscles/#ixzz264NHwcMq
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    I use to suffer from chronic muscle soreness. It has gotten better since I have increased my daily protein to .8 grams per pound of body weight. I'm not sure how much protein you eat per day, but this might help.

Well up until now it hasn't been a problem at all. Since Saturday I started hurting all over-I didn't think that ballet would be that tough on my muscles...but Geez it was!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Soy Protein

lol. no.

and no voltaren.

You don't need to take meds to deal with the soreness.
    Get a foam roller and use it. Take contrast showers (hot/cold). Walk. Do mobility work. Excercise more. Eat. Rest. etc
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Soy Protein
    LOL

Why lol? I was being serious :S

Soy Protein Powder
    Soy protein's high level of antioxidants may help decrease exercise-induced muscle damage. Scientists from the Ohio State University investigated the impact of soy protein on lipid peroxides, which causes stress in muscle cells that lead to damage. Subjects received soy protein or whey protein while undergoing intense resistance exercise. At the end of the study, which was reported in the December 2005 issue of the "Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness," scientists discovered that the soy protein group experienced decreases in lipid peroxides compared to the whey protein group.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/342777-what-foods-help-recover-from-sore-muscles/#ixzz264NHwcMq

take whey.
    soy is garbage. I don't feel like getting into a lengthy debate on why.
    The simple answer is whey is better. So just use it.
  • treimnitz
    treimnitz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I recently tried foam rollers and it really helped me!
  • lleelloo
    Options
    take whey.
    soy is garbage. I don't feel like getting into a lengthy debate on why.
    The simple answer is whey is better. So just use it.

Guess I'll have to look into a better vegetarian option then. Thanks for the tip.