Struggling with eating enough.

Options
I posted about 2 or 3 weeks ago about the fact that I was struggling to eat over 1200 calories a day and somehow after that I managed to up my calories a little. Buuut now I'm struggling again! I'm trying to get over 1300 calories a day but I just can't seem to do it. I don't get hungry all that often and whatever I do eat never seems to boost my calorie count up much and it's really frustrating! I've found myself just eating the most random, rubbish stuff purely to get my calorie count up and I really can't be bothered doing that anymore.

Even before I lost weight I still didn't really eat much but most of what I did eat was just unhealthy stuff. My mum's the exact same.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Like how to boost my calorie count or just anything else that I can do?

(I'll just add on the end here that I'm not really trying to lose any weight, I'd be fine with a couple of pounds but yeah, not trying to lose anymore)

Replies

• wrbiii
    wrbiii Posts: 151
    Options
    Peanut butter, Protein Powder.... there really are all kinds of things you can do to raise it.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Dont eat fat free items or low calorie items. Add servings to what your already eating or portions.. eating a 3 oz chicken breast, why not a 5 oz? that kinda thing can easily increase your calories and not increase all the meals your eating.
  • altacosturabeth
    altacosturabeth Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, Protein Powder.... there really are all kinds of things you can do to raise it.

Yeah, both of them make me sick -.- that's why it's so frustrating! Obviously I want to boost it up but then I don't want to...bring it up...ya know?
  • altacosturabeth
    Options
    Dont eat fat free items or low calorie items. Add servings to what your already eating or portions.. eating a 3 oz chicken breast, why not a 5 oz? that kinda thing can easily increase your calories and not increase all the meals your eating.

I try not to eat fat free items and I'm trying to find higher calorie foods, that's really what I'm looking for! I probably also should have added that I'm a vegetarian!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    String cheese, greek yogurt, bananas? I would see out the healthy options that tend to rate on the higher end of the calorie scale. If you don't like PB, what about plain almonds or some other type of nut?
  • wrbiii
    wrbiii Posts: 151
    Options
    What about other nut butters? Nutella isn't exactly a health food but chocolate paste with hazelnut flavor will surely boost your calories.
  • anstargel
    Options
    I like to have a piece of low fat chesse like great value 2% cheese slices ,with 2 low fat triscuits ,or a laughing cow wedge
  • Pudgina
    Options
    I am just starting today and I already feel like I'm going to never loose the weight I want to. I've not had to worry about it for quite a few years but now I do and I'm not a good dieter. Wish me luck and I'll keep you posted.
  • altacosturabeth
    Options
    String cheese, greek yogurt, bananas? I would see out the healthy options that tend to rate on the higher end of the calorie scale. If you don't like PB, what about plain almonds or some other type of nut?

I like peanuts? Oooh and cheddar cheese? I like bananas as well. And greek yoghurt if it has a load of honey in it :/
  • altacosturabeth
    Options
    What about other nut butters? Nutella isn't exactly a health food but chocolate paste with hazelnut flavor will surely boost your calories.

I can't say I've ever tried any others before or even seen them around but I'll look into them :) I am quite the fan of nutella though...
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options

peanut butter is great
  • altacosturabeth
    Options
    I like to have a piece of low fat chesse like great value 2% cheese slices ,with 2 low fat triscuits ,or a laughing cow wedge

Ahh I am also a fan of cheese and biscuits! (I'm guessing triscuits are some kind of biscuit form kind of food)

Yup, cheese is one of the rather few foods that my stomach doesn't reject.
  • Lextmg86
    Lextmg86 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Focus on eating Nutricious foods that contain a higher amount of calories. Whole wheat bread, any kind of all natural nut butters, granola/protein bars, and avocados are great. There are many many foods i have learned to eat that are very nutricious and contain higher calories in order to reach my goals :)
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    How about trying some seeds? Chia seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds?? You could add these things into other foods to boost the calorie content. And can you eat nuts? 1 oz of peanuts is 164 calories. I eat peanuts, almonds, pistachios, and even pecans (those will REALLY up your calories! lol) Avocados are full of healthy fats as well. Use olive oil in your cooking for a healthy calorie boost.

I gotta admit, this is a foreign concept to me, since I freaking LOVE to eat, but hopefully some of these things might fit into your plan? Best wishes!!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Small choc chip cookies are 50 cals each. Have with milk. Voila.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Avocado, almonds, natural peanut butter, 2% greek yogurt, cheese, brown rice & pasta, granola...all higher calorie but good for you, too.
  • spippin73
    Options
    Don't look at this as a diet...just keeping track of what goes in your body is amazing! It is not a fast weight loss, but steady and healthy. Just be aware! Good luck
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    perhaps you can share whats your normal 1 day meal looks like.

I find it so easy to hit 1200 and above as I love food and when I exercise, I feel so hungry. will be happy to share with you how to bump it up.
  • KLD05
    Options
    Try Greek yogurt and bananas with some honey and cinnamon. Pretty yummy! It has a pretty good calorie count as well as being healthy food.
  • jozzler
    Options
    Foods with healthy oils that are high in calories. ie nuts and seeds, oily fish, avacados, huomous, add olive oil or rapeseed oil for cooking. All great for heart health, helps get rid of the bad cholesterol, and an easy way of taking in enough cals if you can't eat enough.