Help What am I doing wrong

Options
So I have been on MFP since 8/18 and started working out that day. Since then I have been working out 5-6 days a week and eating what I am suppose to and I have lost NOTHING!!!!!! I am getting so sad and think I want to quit. I feel better - healthier but no change in the amount I weigh
I do the eliptical trainer for 35 minutes a day 5 days a week and take a minimum of 2 extra classes (yoga/CardioFunk - what am I doing wrong?

Replies

• Deedles2012
    Deedles2012 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Open your diary. Maybe we can give you ideas if we can actually see what you are doing.
  • superchunk17
    superchunk17 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was experiancing the same thing. In my opinion, I have found the amount of calories this website shows being burned during exercising to not be 100% accurate. Also, many times the food that enter is not correct either. I was meeting the goals according to MFP but most likely not in "real life". What I did was low ball my exercise (ie manually enter 100 calories burned for each mile I run instead of the 187 MFP says) and make sure I have a wrapper for all of the foods I have been eating so I can get the nutritional info right from the package. I found a ton of inaccurate info on this site. Hopfully this helps.... Good luck!
  • NikkiGetsFit185
    NikkiGetsFit185 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Opening your diary might help i was in the same situation as you for a month or so, but i saw i was taking in too much sodium, foods might of been low in calorie but i was eating too many processed foods, so i changed that up and i have been losing since then, and i also agree some of the foods on here are incorrect, sometimes since i have the mobile app, i will use the bar scanner and it scans the correct nutrional information onto my diary. And i almost forgot i was actually losing inches when i wasnt losing pounds, my cothes were feeling different but i wasnt happy with the scale, and since i had a lot to lose i wanted to see those numbers decrease, they finally are.
  • allgoodthings
    allgoodthings Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you haven't taken your measurements, you should do so. I had the same issue but I was losing inches. The scale isn't the only measure of success. Keep it up!
  • MelodyBronson
    MelodyBronson Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I eat right, staying at or below my calories, plus I exercise and I don't eat the extra calories I supposedly get from exercising!
  • Monalisa85
    Monalisa85 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I experienced that too but it seems it takes our bodies time to get with the program. I say that because I felt that too and was getting discouraged at 3-4 weeks but then the day comes when you start to notice the changes, looser-fitting jeans/dresses, number goes down on the scale. Just stick with it and like someone else already said, I also log in less exercise minutes just to be sure and log all from the nutritional info on foods I'm eating. Whatever you do--do not give up cause success is around the corner but be patient with yourself! I wish you well.
  • StoogieQ
    StoogieQ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! You're probably swapping fat for muscle. Can we take a peek at your diary?
  • strawbblondie
    strawbblondie Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements of different areas (neck, chest, waist, hips)? You may be burning fat but building muscle; which won't necessarily show up on the scale. I've also measured my forearm, bicep, thigh & calf. Take these measurements every couple of weeks. I haven't seen much on the scale, but have seen a difference in the measurements. Hope this helps.
  • MrsBooher
    MrsBooher Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem for quite some time. My advice would be to go to some health clinic that has a bod pod. It measures the amount of body fat you have, and they run resting metabolic testing and give you the exact caloric intake your body needs while not doing anything. I found out that I wasn't losing any weight because I (shockingly!) had a fast metabolism not a slow one so the 800-1200 cal diet was in fact the reason I did not lose weight. Turns out I need to consume at least 1820 calories/day if not working out and more if so to lose the weight. My guess is your not eating correctly and need a plan specific to your body. Good luck!
  • When you work out a lot, you build muscle. And muscle weighs more than fat. But then what happens is that the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolic rate is. And that is how you should start to benefit from the exercise. Also look at how much sodium you take in. My problem is that I retain water, so I have been adjusting my sodium intake each day. Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged. I am sure you will start to see results!
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Do something different than the elliptical to really challenge your body. I recommend Zumba or Turbo Jam DVDs if you can.
  • tjakatjs
    Options
    Add some weight bearing exercise for good bone health. Visit with a trainer. I had a friend that busted her butt for months with little results. She started working with a trainer and he was able to zero in on what was lacking. With a change in her diet, NO processed sugar, and the new exercise program that was only three days a week for 45 minutes, she has had amazing results over the past two months with only a fraction of the time spent at the gym as before.
  • Bingbi
    Options
    Our bodies have an amazing ability to get too accustomed to the routine workouts we do. That can lead to a plateau. You need to mix up your workout (varied intensity, time, activity). I would recommend trying HIIT (high intensity interval training). Also, you should think about weight training.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Are you losing inches? Try measuring yourself that way. Sometimes you gain a bit of weight from water or muscle gain. Your muscles might be building up. It's much better to worry about body fat% and inches for those situations. It's bittersweet, but it shows that you actually are losing something more than just a pound or so! don't give up :)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for women over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I am a living breathing example of that. I went from obese to now under 12% BF and I've maintained for one year and built muscle the whole time. You don't BUILD muscle in starvation mode, so I proved everyone wrong.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale though: water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations

Only you can decide calories, base it on how you feel and what the scale trend is doing, not what anyone here tells you to do. You can always gradually notch your calories up or down by 100 and see how you do. It takes some experimentation to find what works for YOU. What worked for the next person may not work for you just because it did for them. For the most part, if you have fat reserves eating more to lose weight is just plain silly, think about it.

"The Reverse Taper Diet " :

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

Oddly enough, it seems as though some obese people have an unbelievable amount of fat available as a fuel, but a lower ability to burn that fat, whereas as they get leaner, they have less and less fat available as a fuel, but a greater and greater ability to burn the fat they do have. So at extreme levels of leanness, it is the fat availability that limits a persons ability to lose fat.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your exercise is but you can't exercise away too many calories.

I ignore exercise calories anyway so the exercise log is just to track time spent exercising for me. Exercise calories are highly over rated. You can't exercise away eating too much food. I learned this the hard way most of my life running marathon after marathon (and lifting) and not being able to lose weight and in fact continued to gain year after year. And I don't pig out, binge, snack mindlessly, eat out of boredom, etc, but the portion sizes are too big for a small person like me. (well I wasn't small when I weighed over 170 lbs at 51'0"!)

Anyway I found what worked for me was separating out the two things:

Eat less to lose weight
    Exercise to maintain or build lean body mass
    end of story.

Well, it did work for me. I am the fittest, leanest, strongest, and most muscular I've ever been in my life at age 51 and I'm healthy and don't get sick and have long endurance.
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    I was experiancing the same thing. In my opinion, I have found the amount of calories this website shows being burned during exercising to not be 100% accurate. Also, many times the food that enter is not correct either. I was meeting the goals according to MFP but most likely not in "real life". What I did was low ball my exercise (ie manually enter 100 calories burned for each mile I run instead of the 187 MFP says) and make sure I have a wrapper for all of the foods I have been eating so I can get the nutritional info right from the package. I found a ton of inaccurate info on this site. Hopfully this helps.... Good luck!

^^ this totally agree!
  • es5864
    Options
    I think you should switch it up instead of doing the elliptical everyday. Your body gets use to that, you should try cross training and switching it up. Running on the treadmill, bicycle, swimming, hiking, etc.
  • xNJAx
    xNJAx Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Don't give up...especially since you're *feeling* better!

Instead of only looking at the scale, take measurements and photos to compare with as you progress. I can be the exact same weight but have a completely different figure depending on what I've been eating, what exercise I've been doing etc. There have also been times when I seem not to have lost a thing for weeks then all of a sudden drop a load of lbs in one go.

Make sure you drink enough water, vary your exercise and eat as much unprocessed food as possible to watch the sodium intake. Also make sure the values you're putting in for calroies in and out is correct (use the food packagaing/weigh food/wear a HRM when working out). It makes a big difference!

Just keep going and you'll get there! :) x
  • mercymarque
    Options
    It sounds like your doing all the right stuff in terms of exercise... Your food diary is not open to really get a look at what your eating. Water intake is important, sleep, staying within your calories. Make sure you up your protein, get lean meats, fresh fruits and vegetables. MFP provides you with more calories to eat. My suggestion would be to only eat back some (SOME) if your hungry. Good luck! Don't give up. You may just need an adjustment. I was at a stall for a little while and tweaked my routine... I stoped eating meat, no sugar, no avocado and no white rice, white potatoes or pasta. I work out 7 days a week for at least an hour and drink 8-12 glasses of water a day.