Lose 2 lbs/week netting 1200 calories?

Options
Hi all, I am wanting to lose 2lbs per week but I've always heard you should never net below 1200 calories.... My TDEE is 1700 and I burn anywhere from 200-550 calories everyday (depending if I have v-ball on top of my workout haha). How am I suppose to net over 1200 and still have a 1000 calorie deficit?!

Additional info:
Female
5'7.5"
Small Frame
CW: 125-130 lbs (first weigh in since June is tmrrw!)
GW: 115-120 lbs

Please help me understand this :)

Replies

• Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am wanting to lose 2lbs per week but I've always heard you should never net below 1200 calories.... My TDEE is 1700 and I burn anywhere from 200-550 calories everyday (depending if I have v-ball on top of my workout haha). How am I suppose to net over 1200 and still have a 1000 calorie deficit?!

Additional info:
    Female
    5'7.5"
    Small Frame
    CW: 125-130 lbs (first weigh in since June is tmrrw!)
    GW: 115-120 lbs

Please help me understand this :)

You are already technically at a healthy weight, and being so close to your goal, 2 lbs/week is much too aggressive. You should shoot for .5/lb a week tops.
  • bcerz811
    bcerz811 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    if you only have 5-10lbs to lose, you should not be trying to lose 2lbs a week. that's dangerous and you'll lose muscle. With that little weight to lose, you should be trying to lose .5 a week at most. Just be patient.
  • bcerz811
    bcerz811 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    In fact, honestly, if that's all you have to lose, i'd focus on toning up and building some muscle and not even worry about the scale except for maybe once every couple of weeks to keep an eye on it. Building muscle and toning up with help you lose a few inches if you feel a bit doughy, and you may lose a few lbs doing that anyway.
  • LittleLady2012
    Options
    I was aiming for 0.5 lbs a week when I was 115-119 lbs in June (I had lost about 15 lbs in 3 months).... I maintained that weight until the end of July/ early August, but then had a rough patch in my life and went back to food to deal which allowed me to gain all the weight back in about a month -_-. This is the only reason I want to lose it so fast, I mean if I could gain it that fast I can probably lose it again :P
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    You're not going to actually lose 2 lbs a week like that. The most I could lose on 1200 (the minimum MFP will set you up for) was 1.7 lbs a week and I weighed more than you do. And I'm shorter. And I definitely wasn't losing that amount every week. It was less. I lost barely anything when I wasn't eating back all my exercise calories. I've slowly worked my calories up higher as I've gotten closer to my goal (125, but I may go for 120 depending on how I feel).

If you run the math.. If you're TDEE is 1700 and you eat 1200, that's projecting to lose 1lb a week. I wouldn't even recommend doing that. MFP won't set your calories lower than 1200 for a reason.

Don't eat less than 1200. Eat back exercise calories. Do strength and resistance training.
  • taintedbutterfly18
    Options
    I was aiming for 0.5 lbs a week when I was 115-119 lbs in June (I had lost about 15 lbs in 3 months).... I maintained that weight until the end of July/ early August, but then had a rough patch in my life and went back to food to deal which allowed me to gain all the weight back in about a month -_-. This is the only reason I want to lose it so fast, I mean if I could gain it that fast I can probably lose it again :P

Believe me it is faster to gain weight than lose it. I am a little more than 10 lbs away from my goal weight and it gets harder. I would love to lose 2 lbs a week and get their faster, but it is not to be. Aim for 1/2 lb to 1 lb a week. It's a healthier weight loss and it takes time, but it more apt to stay off that way.