weight loss very slow

Options
I am so frustrated...1 month now and only lost 2 pounds. I am averaging about 1400 calories per day and I am excercising off about an average of 400 calories per day or more. I just do not know what else I can do...any suggestions?

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    so you are netting 800 calories a day? If so you need to eat more.

What are your height, weight, and age?
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i also agree, make sure you NET 1200 min not gross 1400.. so if you burn 400, eat back min 200 more cals. also it depends on your age, height, weight/.... for me i have a 20lb loss and it has been super slow. I started back in Nov and i just hit a 18 lb loss... so it has been super slow but it is coming off.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    With less than 10 pounds to lose (according to the ticker on your profile page), you're actually right on track! See the chart below. Also, I agree with the other posters, make sure you're eating back at least half of your exercise calories.

Here is a great guideline for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • melissamrb
    Options
    I adjusted my calories averaged per day to 1400, 1200 is my goal but it is too hard and I get too hungry. But anyways my info is:

height 5'8.5
    weight started at 160, now 158
    age 42

So what you are saying is that I can't eat a min of 1200 per day and still work our for an added benefit? If I have to eat my calories back then I feel like i have been working so hard for nothing. I thought that if I eat 1200-1400 per day and excercised 400 caloriess off per day I could boost my weight loss to 1-2 pounds per week and not go into starvation mode. A lowly half pound per week and eating so little is very frustrating.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    your bmr is 1465 cal/day. That is how many calories you need to net just for your body to function and not move (think coma).

If you base your calorie needs off a sedentary lifestyle, you need 1758 calories to maintain your weight. You create your deficit from that - subtract 250 for 0.5 lb/wk, 500 for 1 lb/wk, and so on. The more you exercise, the more calories your body needs to maintain itself, so you have more calories you can create a bigger deficit from.

You can most definitely lose 1 lb/wk, but you have to exercise to do it healthy. The idea that you shouldn't eat less than 1200 calories is from a nutritional standpoint. From an energy standpoint, your body will get the energy from fat and protein in your body.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    ha ha :)
  • michelleshere
    michelleshere Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ^^That website is so helpful! Thank-you! ;)