Jeans?

Options
I've lost 129 lbs since last October (not sure why my ticker updated). Anyway, it's starting to get cool here and I have no jeans that fit. If I find a pair that fit well everywhere else, they're too long. Before I didn't care what I looked like and honestly couldn't even fit into a pair of jeans, but I wanna look hot this fall!! I'm currently a size 18-20, but I'm still losing weight so I don't want to spend a huge amount on new jeans. Any ideas ladies? Where do you buy your jeans?

Replies

• ciddi
    ciddi Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    There is a sale going on in JCP. They have some jeans on sale for $10-14.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I buy jeans at Lane Bryant for about $50.

They also have really decent jeans at Wal-Mart. The Just My Size brand comes in a dark wash bootcut jean for about $18 and they're actually great.

That being said, it only cost about $8-10 to have jeans hemmed and it really helps. I am 5'5" and have nearly all my jeans hemmed.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Length can be altered very easily - just find a pair that fits you well and then take them to a tailor to have the length taken up. It's usually fairly inexpensive.

For bargains, JC Penney and Old Navy are probably the cheapest. I've also found some decent jeans at Target.

Congrats on your loss!! That's awesome!!
  • Bingbi
    Options
    I always opt for fabrics that have a little bit of spandex in them. Having a little stretch and give is perfect especially for when your body is in transition.
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Mauries is my go to! They have different rises, thigh wideness, etc. They run around $30, but last! And they DO look hot!
  • davidr730
    davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Second hand stores are a great place to get cheap clothe. You'd be amazed at some of the great stuff they have.
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    It may sound cheap but I look it thrift stores/garage sales for jeans-I figure that when I lose the weight then I will go out and buy brand new sets of clothes but until then I will go for the least expensive because I won't be wearing them long:wink:
    Thirft stores have some pretty cute/sexy/hot things in them-you just have to look.
  • Brandi1168
    Brandi1168 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I bought some jeans from Old Navy Outlet a couple months ago, I got size 16, short (I'm 5'4") and they are the right length. They say "The Flirt" on inside so I'm guessing that is the style. I think they were only $15 or so per pair. I've bought jeans at Target before too for around $15-$20, but the last pair didn't last that long.
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have had good luck at the Goodwill and consignment shops. I don't want to spend a ton of money on "temporary" clothes but I have to have something besides my workout outfits (which I would rather live in anyway). I currently only have 1 black pair of pants and 1 pair of VERY casual jeans so I'm in the same boat as you, however I'm not complaining!!!!! Bring it on. Too bad there isn't a way we on MFP could exchange clothes as we "outgrow" them. Sorta like the traveling pants......
  • gousc
    Options
    I hit up Belk during their red line sales. I have found great jeans for a very low price. I also go to consignment stores. A lot of them have pretty strict guidelines of what they will take, so you can find good quality clothes at low prices. Congratulations!!!!
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Penningtons have great stretch jeans!! I bought 2 pairs when I was there & my 18s now getting loose. Size 16's waiting to be tried soon.......
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I buy jeans frequently at Savers...its a second hand store chain, raises money for charities. You can get some real deals at places like that, or Goodwill. Especially nice to save money on everyday things when they may not fit you very long!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores and Craigslist are good places to start. If you know of the specific brand/size/style that you want to buy, you can try eBay. I bought a couple of pairs that way for $10-$15 each. Then when you have shrunk out of them you can re-sell :smile:
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I hit up Belk during their red line sales. I have found great jeans for a very low price. I also go to consignment stores. A lot of them have pretty strict guidelines of what they will take, so you can find good quality clothes at low prices. Congratulations!!!!

YES! I got a pair of expensive jeans (original price $85) for $11 there on final clearance, and they made my butt look gooooood. I also raided their clearance racks a couple of months ago, and everything was 50% off the lowest marked price. I bought a bunch of stuff, including some office-appropriate skirts for $5-6 apiece :happy:
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    If you're still losing and know they won't fit for long... Hit up goodwill. My current jeans are old navy and they were $8 :)

I'm 5'3", and I like to buy expensive jeans at torrid. They're about $50, but you can get them in "short", which is nice. Hemming is such a small problem and so easy to fix, if you find jeans that are great about everything other than length get them hemmed. $10 at most.
  • kerchki
    kerchki Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Definitely try good will and other second hand shops. I'm also short (5'3 1/2" - gotta count that extra half!) and I duct tape hem my jeans all the time. Turn them inside out, put them on, roll them up (one time) to proper length. Take them off and tape with duct tape. I wash them that way and it stays on. (if it's the gray duct tape) I figure once I get to a weight that I'd like to settle into, I'll get some good jeans and have them properly hemmed if I need to.

Congrats on your journey! And although you look and feel good now, don't stop! Keep going :)
  • caranda8
    Options
    I too love JCP jeans, they are cheap and fit well to my body!! Check them out!
  • leslie0422
    leslie0422 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I like Old Navy jeans and they go on sale pretty often.
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite length problem. Jeans are always too short! In addition I have hugely muscular calves and more jeans do not fit my calves, especially those stupid skinny jeans. If they do fit my calves then the waist is 2-3 sizes too big! I avoided the whole jeans issue by wearing skirts and dresses all summer but I am faced with the same dilemma now.

I recently found a pair of jeans at Kohls for 20 bucks. I also buy jeans at a women's clothing store called Maurices...they have jeans that come in short, regular, and long. They also have boot cut jeans that are wider at the bottom to accommodate my calves than most jeans I see in other stores. They have a website too: www.maurices.com. I know it can be iffy buying stuff online, but maybe worth a shot.
  • davidr730
    davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I just got 2 pair of jeans from Goodwill. $8 each and they look better like new.