I want to start building muscle. Any suggestions?

I've got a workout already. All I need are some good diet ideas. I have myself on a 2500 calorie diet, and I can never get all my calories in. I have not logged in fitness pal for a while, and when I don't get to go to the gym I eat less because I don't want to gain any of my weight back. So any suggestions would be good.

Replies

• bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Only way to build true muscle mass is if you are eating with a surplus. You gotta have lumber to build a house is the common saying around here. You need to lift weights, and, adding muscle mass may very well increase your WEIGHT. So, do you care more about the number on a scale or building muscles?
    As far as diet, you need to have a good deal of protein to build the muscles up.
    And meet Stacy to see why "weight" ain't nothing but a number: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/ Didn't look if you were male or female, but either way, scroll down to see how she looks weighing MORE vs less.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Hamburger Helper is one of my favorite bulking foods yummy and a lot of different flavors. A TON of delicious carbs, protein, and calories. Eat the whole box and the whole pound of hamburger. Every day.

You can add things like olive oil to get more calories.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Eat an entire Little Ceasars pizza and a 24 oz soda with real sugar. 2,500 kcal guaranteed for under $8 a day.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Carb it up! I like to keep it healthier though, and go for whole wheat pasta, and breads. And eat. Alot!
  • Wordwarrior7
    Wordwarrior7 Posts: 7 Member
    Keep the suggestions comingthink it is good to get different opinions and ideas. Though I perfer the more healthy suggetions, and do like the hmaburger helper idea too.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Doh! I ignored the original intent of the post
    Turkey sandwiches on whole wheat hoagie rolls.
    Full fat greek yogurt
    Full fat cheese
    Burritos packed with beans, hamburger, cheese, sour cream
    FOr breakfast eggs, bacon or sausage and whole wheat pancakes
    Smoothie it up with whole fat milk, peanut butter, chocolate syrup, a couple bananas and a cup of baby spinach. I SWEAR to you you cannot taste the spinach.
  • SUPER DUPER CALORIFIC PEANUT BUTTER BANANA PROTEIN milkSHAKE--made with 12 oz whole milk (225) 1 banana 1 (100) 1/4 cup peanut butter (400) and 2 scoops protein powder (200-300) = 925-1025 and it will taste like a milkshake if you make it with a FROZEN banana.