Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Treadmill distance vs outdoor running distance

I heard on the radio today that you aren't really running as far as your think you are when you run on a treadmill because the treadmill is moving as you are in the air between steps which credits you for more "covered ground" than you really did cover as if you were running outside?? I'm just asking so when I start to use mine indoors during winter months I'll know how to compensate for distance if it's needed...

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    If you run at the same effort for 60 minutes outside and 60 minutes inside, does it really matter what the treadmill reads for distance covered? You don't need to do any conversions. That's a bunch of horse hockey.

Another alternative is just to run outside. They make clothes for running in the cold. As long as it's not icy, get out there and run.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    The radio is wrong. While the treadmill is moving the body stays stationary in space. The distance covered over the belt is the same as if the body was moving over a stationary surface outside. That said, if the treadmill is not calibrated accurately the distance may be a little off.

But most importantly, as said above your body reacts to a training stess applied over time, not over distance.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Well, all I can say is that I run about an 11 min/mile, so it takes me about 22 minutes to run two miles. And when I run for 22 minutes on the treadmill, it still says I run about 2 miles. So.........it seems pretty accurate to me.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I heard on the radio today that you aren't really running as far as your think you are when you run on a treadmill because the treadmill is moving as you are in the air between steps which credits you for more "covered ground" than you really did cover as if you were running outside?? I'm just asking so when I start to use mine indoors during winter months I'll know how to compensate for distance if it's needed...

but you would be running that distance as you run outside you move forward with both feet off the ground, son instead of the treadmill moving, you are moving. It works out to pretty much the same.
  • Personally, I the type of person that loves to run outside and i have to say it doesnt make a difference between running on a treadmill VS outside. Its virtually the same thing and the only difference is that a machine makes a educated guess about distance and calories.
  • If you run at the same effort for 60 minutes outside and 60 minutes inside, does it really matter what the treadmill reads for distance covered? You don't need to do any conversions. That's a bunch of horse hockey.

Another alternative is just to run outside. They make clothes for running in the cold. As long as it's not icy, get out there and run.

exactly what carson said, this last winter i figured out i don't like anything under 27 degrees outside...how much do you think i was out there to figure it down to the degree? that's right, a whole lot!! treadmills suck, outside is the only way to go :tongue: though everyone has their own opinion i guess
  • chicky26
    chicky26 Posts: 127 Member
    Although, according to Chris powell (personal trainer of extreme makeover), you should set the treadmil at a 1% incline otherwise the treadmil does the running for you?? Not that I personally know much on this subject.
  • CarsonRuns
    If you run at the same effort for 60 minutes outside and 60 minutes inside, does it really matter what the treadmill reads for distance covered? You don't need to do any conversions. That's a bunch of horse hockey.

exactly what carson said, this last winter i figured out i don't like anything under 27 degrees outside...how much do you think i was out there to figure it down to the degree? that's right, a whole lot!! treadmills suck, outside is the only way to go :tongue: though everyone has their own opinion i guess

27°F is comfortable! :happy: It's when you get below 20°F that it starts to get cold. :wink:
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    I am actually MUCH slower on the dreadmill than I am outside. It is weird. I feel like DYING at 11mm on the machine whereas 11mm outside is a nice easy conversational pace.

As for being in the "air," this doesnt even make sense. Do you not pick up your feet outside? Does that inch or two not matter when you run outside? I can't see the difference in distance, if there even is one, being more than negligible!
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    What you SHOULD do, though, is make sure your elevation is set at 1.0 and not 0.0. You do get a little energy bounce back from the treadmill that you wouldn't get on the road so a very slight elevation will more accurately mimic running outside on flat ground.
  • primalchaos
    primalchaos Posts: 135 Member

As I train almost exclusively indoors on a treadmill, that's nonsense. Yes it is different, but trust me, if you're putting the effort into it, you sweat like you do outside and it does transfer to times when I race. The only thing I'd watch for is whether yours is flat or in a decline meaning you're running downhill not flat at its lowest postion. If so, you'll need to accomodate to get the right grade you want to run on.

As always, make sure to check the output numbers if you are trying to track calories on one, they are not very accurate normally in the calories burnt.
  • I'd rather run ouside, but on days over 100 i run on treadmill or wait for sun to go down and wear reflective gear. Ps: I run faster and smother outside. Treadmill/outside is basically the same distance but treadmill I find easier on my ankles.
  • CarsonRuns
    Although, according to Chris powell (personal trainer of extreme makeover), you should set the treadmil at a 1% incline otherwise the treadmil does the running for you?? Not that I personally know much on this subject.

That's also poppycock. :smile:

It won't ever do the running for you. A slight incline is supposed to make the impact on your legs a little easier though. That's the only reason. It's not for wind resistance either. Studies show that doesn't matter on the treadmill until you are running sub 6:00 pace, which I don't think many here are.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member

27°F is comfortable! :happy: It's when you get below 20°F that it starts to get cold. :wink:

I'm good well into the teens - unless it's windy. Hate the wind! LOL - I look like Frosty the Snowman when I leave the house and come back in looking like a spirit wraith --- all those layers are off and tied onto my body in a bizarre fashion.
  • CarsonRuns

I'm good well into the teens - unless it's windy. Hate the wind! LOL - I look like Frosty the Snowman when I leave the house and come back in looking like a spirit wraith --- all those layers are off and tied onto my body in a bizarre fashion.

Yeah, I'm with you. I don't wear extra though. I loathe to have anything tied on me anywhere. I'd rather freeze my buns off for the first 15 minutes than have to find somewhere to stash or hang a shirt.

My coach lives in Fairbanks, AK. He will run outside down to about -30°F. You should see all the gear he as to put on. lol
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    What you SHOULD do, though, is make sure your elevation is set at 1.0 and not 0.0. You do get a little energy bounce back from the treadmill that you wouldn't get on the road so a very slight elevation will more accurately mimic running outside on flat ground.

Oooh, that's good to know! I switch to treadmill running during the winter, cause winters in Vermont can be harsh and people do not pay attention to runners on the road as it is. LOL
  • [/quote]

[/quote]

well keep in mind this past winter was my first, i have not been running long, i'm sure this winter will not be the same as last, but i'm going off what i know for now :wink: hahaha
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member

Carson, c'mon up for a run in Ottawa at the end of January, early February. Temperatures of -20 to -35C are not uncommon and, if dressed properly running outdoors can be very enjoyable. Layers!
  • CarsonRuns

well keep in mind this past winter was my first, i have not been running long, i'm sure this winter will not be the same as last, but i'm going off what i know for now :wink: hahaha

The key is head and hands. Keep them warm and the rest will be fine. I love my Under Armour running hats. Fleece on the outside, wicking material on the inside. If the head starts to get a little warm, roll it up off the ears.
  • CarsonRuns

Carson, c'mon up for a run in Ottawa at the end of January, early February. Temperatures of -20 to -35C are not uncommon and, if dressed properly running outdoors can be very enjoyable. Layers!

I'm not scared!