Feeling brave : critics wanted

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm enjoying the support and knowledge shared on MFP and I now want to move onto the next level - I'm looking for some constructive criticism on my food diary.

It's very same same and I'm sure there are huge areas for improvement.

Anyone who can offer some guidance, please do!

My goal is to get to around 140lb - 145lb and maintain that through good diet and exercise.

Kate :smile:

Replies

• mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Your Diary is closed :-(
  • mrskatiepowell
    Options
    Your Diary is closed :-(

Ooops! Try now.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    protein looks low to me
    minimal exercise
    a fair few days in a row at too low calories IMO.

I only looked at macros not specific foods. Make sure you eat you're veggies. (and some fruit)
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    Options
    Try increasing protein and eating more fruit. It looks like you're regularly under your calorie goals, so you have room to add the fruit in. Please don't forget to hit your calorie goals since your weight loss goal is already factored in.

Also, you're diet seems fairly inconsistent. Try getting in the habit of eating your meals and snacks consistently (whenever and however many is right for you) and see if you can fuel your body the same way most days.

This is all my opinion, and I am not anywhere close to an expert. I have been using MFP for around 7 months though.
  • mrskatiepowell
    Options
    That's weird - my diary always shows I've gone over protein...
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options

They mean you've got your protein set too low. The default is 15%, when it should probably be a bit higher (20-30% is common). Maybe try upping it in the custm settings for a little while and see if it helps you feel more satisfied.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the 5:2 diet? Some days seem to be about 500 calories as they would be for this eating plan. If you are, you may need to eat a bit more on non-fasting days.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You dont seem to eat enough calories in your meals and fill the calories with lots of snacks or you overdo it in one meal and skimp on others.

I'm just wondering, do you feel hungry through out the day? Do you feel like you are not achieving the results you want? If so, having more substantial meals would fix that. I know I would be starving all day if breakfast and lunch was such low calories that I would go insane waiting for dinner to come.
  • AlieBalie
    AlieBalie Posts: 16 Member
    Options

They mean you've got your protein set too low. The default is 15%, when it should probably be a bit higher (20-30% is common). Maybe try upping it in the custm settings for a little while and see if it helps you feel more satisfied.

1. Where do you find those settings? I'm not seeing them
    2. How do you determine appropriate ratios? Trial and error?
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    To change your macros go to the Home Page, choose Goals, and select the custom option. When I was lifting I did 40/30/30 (Carbs/Protein/Fats) which I read in many reliable resources. Now that I'm not lifting heavy and focusing on cardio (but still doign resistance training) I aim for 20-25% protein and try to get it all from food sources rather than protein shakes. It really is trial and error - I've learned that I feel more satisfied eating more protein, plus it helps me focus on choosing better carbs.
  • AlieBalie
    AlieBalie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    To change your macros go to the Home Page, choose Goals, and select the custom option. When I was lifting I did 40/30/30 (Carbs/Protein/Fats) which I read in many reliable resources. Now that I'm not lifting heavy and focusing on cardio (but still doign resistance training) I aim for 20-25% protein and try to get it all from food sources rather than protein shakes. It really is trial and error - I've learned that I feel more satisfied eating more protein, plus it helps me focus on choosing better carbs.
    Thank you! I feel better with more protein in my diet as well, I've been consistently going over the recommendation; thought I was doing something wrong. Off to change it!
  • mrskatiepowell
    Options
    I am doing 5:2 yes :)
    I eat when I'm hungry - not when a clock dictates
    On a weekend I do skip meals if I know I'm going out to ensure I can still stick to my goals but enjoy myself socially.
    I'm shocked at the protein comments as I eat eggs, cottage cheese, turkey and Greek yogurt daily...
    Thanks for the comments though :)
  • mrskatiepowell
    Options
    It's worth noting that i am down from 200+lbs originally
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    It's worth noting that i am down from 200+lbs originally

when was the last time you had a diet break? Long term calorie restriction will slow the metabolism so you're actual TDEE could be a bit lower than what the calculators would expect.
  • bowseramanda
    bowseramanda Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Me too. I actually pulled my diary up today for the dietary manager at work today to look at. thanks for the info!
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    add me i'll be as blatenly honest as you like :)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hi Kate,

What specifically did you want from people?

There is no right or wrong way to eat. We all know what is healthy right? All that matters for weight loss is calories. All that matters for health is learning to eat what makes you strong and fuels your workouts and makes you feel great.

-Ro
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options

On a weekend I do skip meals if I know I'm going out to ensure I can still stick to my goals but enjoy myself socially.

^ I love this :) It works for me too.
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    you need to track sodium....it is one of the things that can hold you back from losing if you are going over all the time....eating processed foods, etc...and I defintely agree with upping protein...you should try to exceed protein and fiber everyday..it will keep you feeling full and satisfied..

Don't skip meals either...even if your trying to budget for going out - instead - work out extra..whenever I was going out for dinner or having drinks - I made sure I got a great workout in that day so I can enjoy what I want...skipping meals will slow your metabolism down to a snails pace...you need to feed it to keep in going...
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options

^ I love this :) It works for me too.

wow - reading your profile and seeing how athletic you are...skipping meals and eating when your hungry I would not think you would agree with......