Shirt nightmare

Options
Ok I have had this problem for awhile, but latly its getting me majorly picked on at work and its starting to bother me. I have bought all kinds of shirts and sizes but no matter what I do they aren't long enough. I am not overly tall, so what is the problem?? I even bought one of those half shirt things thinking it would help. Nope even worse you can see it if I have to bend over I hate this so bad. :(

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    sniffle and bump
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Simple--for work buy slacks that have a higher rise...the problem is the pants, not the shirts.
  • meeper123
    Options
    :O Oh never thought about it being the pants I buy!! I am so kicking myself now LOL
  • jaj68
    jaj68 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    lol....let's meet up and go shopping. We'll look for pants for you...and something for me to wear to this wedding next week. AND.....let's not forget my son gets married next month. think I found a dress online....but I am really nervous after my doomed shopping trip today.
  • meeper123
    Options
    lol....let's meet up and go shopping. We'll look for pants for you...and something for me to wear to this wedding next week. AND.....let's not forget my son gets married next month. think I found a dress online....but I am really nervous after my doomed shopping trip today.

:D well if I didn't live in Alaska I would come help you but I guess try on everything you can so you find that perfect one. You don't know until you do. :D lots of fall weddings how sweet :)
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    You may just have a long torso and not be able to wear regular length shirts. You can try shopping for tall sizes, which are difficult to find in department stores. They are most easily found online.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I read "shirt" as "*kitten*".
    Oops.
  • meeper123
    Options
    X.X
  • JLand918
    Options
    I have same issue my upper body tends to not take well to shirt lengths has nothing to do with your pants either. Shirts are only made either in normal sizes or big and tall, its hard to find a shirt length the is tall in a xl,xxl, they only like to make them for xxxl and up they just assume you cant be tall and thin/average.
  • meeper123
    Options
    You may just have a long torso and not be able to wear regular length shirts. You can try shopping for tall sizes, which are difficult to find in department stores. They are most easily found online.
    Um I don't know maybe
  • meeper123
    Options
    I have same issue my upper body tends to not take well to shirt lengths has nothing to do with your pants either. Shirts are only made either in normal sizes or big and tall, its hard to find a shirt length the is tall in a xl,xxl, they only like to make them for xxxl and up they just assume you cant be tall and thin/average.

I have tried like 1X I look like I am in a circus tent and still my tummy shows
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I have tried like 1X I look like I am in a circus tent and still my tummy shows

I have the same problem - especially now that I've lost some weight.

Most decent quality clothing stores will sell shirts in regular and Tall in most sizes. L. L. Bean sells most of their shirts in a "Tall" version starting with Medium sizing, for example.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    It may be that shirts just aren't the best clothing for you. I can't wear them because the buttons strain over my chest (if I go up a size they're too big on the shoulders). I wear dresses to work, and at home I wear jeans with jumpers or cardigans.

Or could you wear a long vest under the shirt? If the vest's tucked into your trousers it should protect your modesty...

Also, your colleagues sound mean :(
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I am not overly tall, so what is the problem??

Wait, how tall are you?

I'm 5'7" and my tummy shows if I so much at point across the office.

So I wear mom jeans (up to my waist! I get them at Kohls, they're not so bad actually as long as they are snug in the butt), and A-shirts under pretty much all my tops. it does double-duty because the office can get cold...

You ought to try a tall store, too. You never know. Also, if you're swimming in your shirts there's always the tailor.
  • KaidaKantri
    Options
    I wear low rise hip pants, if I bend over, I show crack. One thing I did that prevented this was to get the long sphegetti strap shirts and wear underneath all my shirts. It helped a lot. Oh, and a belt too. :)
  • Ylier04
    Ylier04 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you tried laying your clothes? Long tanks or spaghetti strap "dresses" can be used as tanks as well.
  • Wol5894
    Wol5894 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Don't know where you are geographically but have you tried Land's End clothing? It's Landsend.com for North America and Landsend.co.uk for the UK. They do taller clothing AND in skinnier sizes than xxl, so give them a try.

I am the opposite - short and dumpy - but their Plus sizes fit me really well and a lot of my wardrobe (in varying sizes!) comes from there. The particular thing I like about them is that they will exchange and/or refund, period - no questions asked. I often buy stuff in their sales, usually timeless and classic things that I might wear to work.

Give them a try - they might just be able to help you.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I wear mid-rise jeans, and I try to pick tops that are cut right to hide the tummy. Not necessarily a princess top that might make for a pregnant look, but more flared at the hips. A cardigan works well too, or layering a button down shirt over a tank or tee.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Places like Target sell tanks and other thin layering shirts that they'll actually label as long, layering tops. You can usually find them folded on the shelf displays in the clothing section, not on the racks. Those tend to come down pretty far, often so far they're practically in the crotch of my pants when I pull them up. So wearing something like that under your regular shirt as an undershirt will help eliminate the flesh or just random strap of material from that infomercial thing showing underneath.
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a maternity shirt? I love wearing them if the cut is right because they're longer in the stomach/back area under the bust.