Starving after working out

Options
I am a type 2 diabetic and have recently started going to the gym after work. I am having a hard time after exercising keeping myself in control. I am starving and wanting to grab everything while I am trying to get dinner fixed. I work until 6 some weeks so it's 7:30 or 8:00 before I get home to eat dinner. What do you eat before your exercise program that won't ruin your whole day?

Replies

• Jenism1
    Jenism1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I am not sure what sort of dietary restrictions for type 2 you may have but I find some greek yogurt (fat free) with a sprinkle of granola and some berries really ties me over. I have it around 3-3:30 and I'm good until we eat dinner...around 7. Again, not sure about restrictions, but I find a banana on my way home from the gym really good too.

Good luck! I know all about eating my way through the house while making dinner! :smile:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I generally don't eat before working out as I find it really slows me down, but soon after I finish I have some almonds and walnuts, a hard boiled egg or two, or some sprouted bread with a little philadelphia or you could have a tbsp peanut butter and that tides me over. Just having something protein dense, maybe with a little carbs afterwards to tide you over, with a glass of water, basically.
  • lkc2854
    lkc2854 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I normally have a light breakfast that's 50/50 protein and carbs before working out and then do the same thing afterwards. Then, I'm good until lunch. I'll also take a protein drink with me to the gym occasionally to drink for the extra protein and to stay hydrated while working out. Those help in rebuilding the muscle during my strength training.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I always eat a little something shortly after a good workout or I turn into a snarling hungerbeast that will empty whole refrigerators into my gaping maw. I try to get some fat, more protein, and some carbohydrates - say a banana and a small handful of almonds or something. But even a small glass of whole milk can help.

One of the nutritionists here at work did a lecture on post-exercise nutrition for our training classes on the Trek Across Maine (a 60-mile-a-day, 3-day bike ride). He mentioned something apparently called the "magic 30 minutes", which is the ideal time to get a small 100-200 calorie snack after a heavy workout.

I know people who don't need such a snack and seem to do fine. But I am not one of them. If I miss that half-hour window, do not leave any food where I can see it. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
  • bigmamajo
    bigmamajo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. These are great ideas that I will definitely try!
  • thinjustfabulous
    thinjustfabulous Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I feel ya, that's why I'm not exercising at night, Instead doing it early in the morning / noon before meal.
    don't forget to drink a lot of water before touching food.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I dont know about your exercise routine or dietary restrictions but heres how I cope on a workout day

7.30am something filling... Cereal/porridge
    10am fruit/yoghurt or protein shake
    1pm I have a full cooked dinner usually fish or chicken
    5pm salad with lots of protein eggs/chicken/beef/cheese
    7pm-8.30pm kickboxing
    9pm pasta salad with feta cheese or weightwatchers meal
    Plenty of water all day, I drink loads post workout and loads during workout

If I dont do this I end up snarling at my fella to bring me to the takeaway, then I regret it after ive eaten
  • wvosu1
    wvosu1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a banana and/or a low fat yogurt before I head to the gym in the evenings.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Are you eating before your workout? It sounds like you are working out around dinner time, so you might be hungry for dinner and from the workout. I usually work out at about 7:30 pm so I had dinner maybe 1-2 hours before, then depending on how light my dinner was I'll have a protein bar on the drive in, then afterwards, I eat back my exercise calories. Works for me.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake right after I work out.
  • LoniClifford
    Options
    My BFF who works out at the gym daily, swears by drinking chocolate milk after her workouts. You can buy no sugar, no cal chocolate milk at Wal Mart.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I eat something on my way to the gym after work, an apple or cashews. Luckily my gym is a short walk home and I already know what I'm eating for dinner most days so it's quick and easy to grab. I usually still eat in my gym clothes, no time to shower beforehand because I'm hungry! lol

I recently started snacking on sunflower seeds, Dr Oz said it's good for belly fat, and 1/8 cup fills me up quick!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    i usually have a small meal/snack before training. then go crazy after my workout.

things might be slightly different since you are diabetic.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    My BFF who works out at the gym daily, swears by drinking chocolate milk after her workouts. You can buy no sugar, no cal chocolate milk at Wal Mart.

if it has no cals....it's worthless post workout. you need carbs and protein for recovery
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    You can't grab a quick piece of fruit or some type of granola bar?
  • bigmamajo
    bigmamajo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Usually I do not eat before my workout. I go straight from work since my gym is on campus. I usually eat around 500 cals at lunch and then try to drink water throughout the afternoon. I have to be very careful with the yogurt and fruit because my sugar level drops after an hour or so. Then I really want to tear my hair out. LOL.
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    well, that is why you are so hungry - you are moving your dinner time, haven't eaten since lunch (or snack) and then go work out and burn more. If you can't eat a meal before the workout, at least eat a good protein bar on teh way there - something substantial, like a Detour bar, Met-RX Big 100, or even a Clif Builder. That will at least get you through the workout and to a more reasonable dinner
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    oh, I forgot about teh diabetes thing, so maybe those particular ones might not work (maybe they will, I don't know) but you get the idea. Those 3 are my favorite though - the metrx and detour are kind of a "special treat" for me because they taste AWESOME but also have like 390 calories
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I usually have a protein shake or bar after a workout.
  • Jalyst79
    Jalyst79 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Maybe eating smaller meals more often during the day will help. Make sure you have protein in a shake or nuts, etc.