Someone wanna help me with a project?

Options
Since I got such lovely help from some people in recipes for another project I figured I'd ask for some help on this one.

(I suck at presentations and this one is 5-6 minutes long...goody)
So I have to pick a movie...
"Students should be given the opportunity to watch a movie with significant diversity content and then provide a short presentation on the experience of watching that movie." I'm not sure what the eff "the experience of watching that movie" means because I watch a movie like everyone else, on my couch with popcorn, but whatever.

I wanted to do V for Vendetta..but she's like, I've never seen it and you have to be able to relate it to something we've talked about in class(Social & Cultural class, so basically we've talked about cultural biases and diversity so far).

Someone has already picked The Color Purple, Boyz N The Hood & Gran Tourino (one of my favs)

Anyone else have any ideas?

Replies

• mhuch110
    mhuch110 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    What about American History X? Or THe Help if you want one that is a little on the lighter side!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    What is the course? It's called Social & Cultural Class? That's super vague
    What does your prof mean by "significant diversity content"? ...that is also vague to me... knowing what the course topics you have discussed would help
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    What about American History X? Or THe Help if you want one that is a little on the lighter side!

Someone mentioned that one so I assume it's taken and I've never seen it.
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    What is the course? It's called Social & Cultural Class? That's super vague
    What does your prof mean by "significant diversity content"? ...that is also vague to me... knowing what the course topics you have discussed would help

That is the course, Social & Cultural (Psychology) and I have NO idea what she means by that, honestly I can hardly understand half the crap she says because her Nigerian accent is so thick.
  • RaeLB
    Options
    Okay, well then I am going to make some assumptions.

When she says diversity she could mean a movie with a range of social, economic, political and cultural diversity or just one w/ significant differences from the norm in your society or both.

I assume when she says "the experience of watching the movie" she isn't talking about what you're doing while you're watching the movie but your thoughts & feelings about the content of the movie. In other words, how does the diversity content in the film challenge, change, and/or reinforce your perspective. What kinds of questions does it raise in your mind? What was unexpected, what was expected, and so on.
  • RaeLB
    Options

A new film for you would be better because it will be a new experience.
  • InHisTime48
    InHisTime48 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    "Corina, Corina" with Whoopi Goldberg. Social and cultural aspects addressed throughout.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

Watch it anyways, It's worth it.
  • deadbambi
    Options
    The Help !
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Um....how about The Rocky Horror Picture Show?
  • rcalvert1
    rcalvert1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yes what she ^^ said ... the help was an awesome book, havent yet seen the movie
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    Um....how about The Rocky Horror Picture Show?

I effin love that movie but it's a catholic college...so I'm not sure if she'd accept it
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    The Help !

Someone took it already
  • herrhitman
    Options
    Not sure if these would fit, but all seem to address cultural differences to some degree, IMHO:

Born in East L.A.
    Harold and Kumar
    Hotel Rwanda
    In America
    La Haine
    L'auberge espagnole/Les Poupées Russes
    Lost In Translation
    The Outsiders
    Philadelphia
    The Pianist
    Rent
    Saving Face
    Schindler's List
    Snatch
    This Is England
    The Wind that Shakes the Barley
  • RaeLB
    Options
    The first movie that came to mind when I read your post was "Water" or any Deepa Mehta film would make for an interesting presentation.
  • KELSLEY123
    KELSLEY123 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would suggest "Crash" - EXCELLENT MOVIE AND sound almost exactly what you are looking for.

:
    Los Angeles citizens with vastly separate lives collide in interweaving stories of race, loss and redemption
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    Not sure if these would fit, but all seem to address cultural differences to some degree, IMHO:

Born in East L.A.
    Harold and Kumar
    Hotel Rwanda
    In America
    La Haine
    L'auberge espagnole/Les Poupées Russes
    Lost In Translation
    The Outsiders
    Philadelphia
    The Pianist
    Rent
    Saving Face
    Schindler's List
    Snatch
    This Is England
    The Wind that Shakes the Barley

Someone took In America but I didn't even think about Schindler's List!
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    I would suggest "Crash" - EXCELLENT MOVIE AND sound almost exactly what you are looking for.

:
    Los Angeles citizens with vastly separate lives collide in interweaving stories of race, loss and redemption

LOVEEEE that movie but that was her example she said we couldn't use it.
  • xoMeaghan
    Options
    What about 'The Colour Purple' ? =)

Nevermind - Pay it Forward??? VERY GOOD MOVIE =D
  • caseyjade88
    caseyjade88 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Freedom Writers? Not sure if that's along the lines of what you're looking for?