Is it normal to feel sick the day after an intense workout?

Options
I have been very un-disciplined, and apart from a 1 hour run on the treadmill and a 1 hour walk at the beginning of last week, I didn't really do much other exercise.
Yesterday I did a 1 hour run, and then did upper-body. Today I'm feeling horrible and I can't even think about stomaching food.. I snoozed my alarm for three hours...and I'm just overall not feeling very good. Last week when I did the 1-hour run I woke up feeling great and invigorated!
Is something wrong with me? Is this just my body telling me to take it easy?

Replies

• bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Maybe it didn't have anything to do with your workout?
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're getting sick. When I'm wiped after an intense workout it's usually soon after the workout ends, never the next day. I might be sore the next day but nothing like what you described.

I agree it sounds like you need to take it easy and see what happens.
  • ktmmom189
    ktmmom189 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    When I did an intense ab session that's how I felt. Took me a day and half to recover. Lots of planking which I was not use too.
  • Chgosportsgal
    Options
    It may not be your workout. I did an intense workout on Friday. Then late Saturday, I started feeling achy with a scratchy throat, and very tired. Still not 100% today..still feel drained. I think for both of us...the body needs rest. It feels like I want to catch a cold, but my body is fighting as hard as it can not to get sick.
  • lengirl75
    lengirl75 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're getting sick. When I'm wiped after an intense workout it's usually soon after the workout ends, never the next day. I might be sore the next day but nothing like what you described.

I agree it sounds like you need to take it easy and see what happens.
    This
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I can feel sick at times when I'm fatigued but it's rare and I'm pretty well conditioned. For me it's sort of an achy almost flu like ache but nothing with the stomach or head, more of an overall body ache. But that is because I push myself hard sometimes and for me that means I need a day off. For me one day of rest and I'm good to go again.

It could be fatigue, or it could be something else. You might have pushed to hard for just starting out. You might have switch it up to go a little less or workout every other day until you build up more stamina.
  • victoriadw84
    victoriadw84 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It may not be your workout. I did an intense workout on Friday. Then late Saturday, I started feeling achy with a scratchy throat, and very tired. Still not 100% today..still feel drained. I think for both of us...the body needs rest. It feels like I want to catch a cold, but my body is fighting as hard as it can not to get sick.

I have been feeling this way the past couple of days as well!!! I am debating whether its allergies or a cold lingering.
  • fireguy262
    fireguy262 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Adding the strength workout might have shocked your body a little. Make sure you eat right and get enough sleep...Its also better to do everything in steps instead of just burst into a new workout. Feeling a little sick after a new tough workout is normal (excess lactic acid buildup), but feeling very sick the next day may be caused by numerous things. Im NOT a doctor, but from what it sounds, its either from something you ate or you shocked your body by adding the upper-body.
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    When I nearly kill myself on the elliptical, sometimes I start to feel sick, and then I slow down, but to feel sick after? Definitely never had that.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think this is more likely due to under-eating. Your diary is closed so it's hard to know, but if I had to guess, I'd say you are not eating back your exercise calories?
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Do you smoke?
  • miam4nia
    miam4nia Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Do you smoke?

yes....about 8/ day....
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? With that much of a work out you are going to need to be sure to stay very hydrated.

Dehydration can make you feel very sick.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    It very common to be sick to feel unwell after an intense workout. You need to try and put yourself on a schedule and not do a whole lot every now and then. That's not at all good.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Do you smoke?

yes....about 8/ day....

When I started running I was a smoker...but it would lliterally make me sick afterwards. I would consider quitting those and see how you feel in a couple of weeks. I felt like a totally new person after two weeks of no smoking! No more sickness after a big run for me! Maybe that is not the issue, but how will you know unless you try it? :wink:
  • Mithershoe
    Options
    I don't know if it's normal for the rest of the world, but it surely happens to me. I'm a distance cyclist and it never happens during cycling, even when I cycle 140 miles in a day, but it happens after overly intense core workouts at the gym. "Toxic" is the best way to describe how I feel the next day. I should know better, but yesterday I started back to the gym for my winter core work and did way too much, so today, I know your pain! The workout did not feel overly challenging at the time but went on too long, with too many reps and too many new exercises. Too zealous to get going! I KNOW how to avoid it: cut back on the workout. Write a plan that uses lighter weights and fewer reps that increases both over time and DON'T let yourself exceed it. Drink lots of water while you're doing it...I consume 16 oz while exercising and another on the way home. I never have the problem when I write out the workout plans, using two different core routines alternated with stretches and stationary bike days. Use the "toxic day" to rest and drink lots of water. Rest even two days, doing only gentle stretches...and then go back but begin much more slowly. I think this is one reason why a lot of newly resolved exercisers lose their resolve after the first attempt -- they feel terrible and never go back. So ease up, be persistent but if you feel lousy the next day, you're overdoing it. Good luck.
  • sgmihu
    sgmihu Posts: 1
    Options
    Same thing here. Haven't been working for a while, yesterday started with really fast paced exercises: stair climbing, jumps, abs, biceps, back, shoulders... So as you can see used a large part of my muscles. Really small weights (8 punds) for arms/shoulders/back, but really fast paced for 20-40 seconds. Exercised for about 20-25 minutes, with abs at the end. I was done. 5 minutes later I felt sick, threw up. After about 3 hours went and ate a spicy soup and caesar salad at Chili's. Followed later by mac'n'cheese and a big mac with fries at 1 AM :D:D:D. I know, not the best food in the world.

Anyways, that's not really the point. Today (next day) I feel like there's a boulder in my stomach, and a bit dizzy :). Drinking lots of water and waiting to feel better, and for the lactic acid to go away. I have really low muscle pain, so the exercises were not VERY stressful, but I believe as it was a general "get in shape" workout, so many muscles released too much acid at once. Just like Mithershoe above, to zealous to get going.