I have to burn 50 calories before I go to sleep...

Options
In my room with no equipment and nothing that will wake the baby that sleeps in the room below me. Suggestions?

Replies

• skinnygurl02
    skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    push ups, sit ups, ab crunches...
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stress about 50 calories - all the numbers we use are estimates anyway, so if you are 50 cals over your calorie allowance for the day, just let it go and start fresh tomorrow.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    20 minutes of "2 person yoga" :wink:
  • divamimi09
    divamimi09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    you can do floor work and include leg lifts, squats, sitting on a balance ball and doing crunches and/or arm weights.... those seem reasonable.
    good luck!!!
  • springb513
    springb513 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    squats and lunges?
  • Oh, I know, it's not a big deal and depending on what I do it may have little to no effect on anything...but my pride. Hate seeing red on my home page!

So I googled calories burned from pushups, is 1 calorie per pushup reasonable? I'm sure it depends on your height/weight/level of fitness, whatever...but as a general rule?
  • WHAT 300 calories for 5 minutes???? That can't be accurate. Why is anyone overweight at all?

*referring to that article, not pushups haha
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Go with $ex!
  • leojsivad
    leojsivad Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Do jumping jacks for 5 minutes.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I ignore exercise calories anyway so the exercise log is just to track time spent exercising for me. Exercise calories are highly over rated. You can't exercise away eating too much food. I learned this the hard way most of my life running marathon after marathon (and lifting) and not being able to lose weight and in fact continued to gain year after year. And I don't pig out, binge, snack mindlessly, eat out of boredom, etc, but the portion sizes are too big for a small person like me. (well I wasn't small when I weighed over 170 lbs at 51'0"!)

Anyway I found what worked for me was separating out the two things:

Eat less to lose weight
    Exercise to maintain or build lean body mass
    end of story.

Well, it did work for me. I am the fittest, leanest, strongest, and most muscular I've ever been in my life at age 51 and I'm healthy and don't get sick and have long endurance.
  • sarahfene84
    sarahfene84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ever try planks? I'm not sure how many calories they burn, but they hurt and make me sore as hell the next day. They also work more than just one area of the body at a time. Combination moves are great time saving but effective workouts. Even side lunges with a tricep extension, squat with front lateral raise, stiff legged dead lift with a row. I know those would require a set of dumbbells, but well work the money (less than $20 at walmart for some). Best of luck!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    20 minutes of "2 person yoga" :wink:

LOL the best!
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Stretching or Light Yoga - it will relax you and burn cals! Perfect for before bed!
  • Noorkitty
    Options
    I ignore exercise calories anyway so the exercise log is just to track time spent exercising for me. Exercise calories are highly over rated. You can't exercise away eating too much food. I learned this the hard way most of my life running marathon after marathon (and lifting) and not being able to lose weight and in fact continued to gain year after year. And I don't pig out, binge, snack mindlessly, eat out of boredom, etc, but the portion sizes are too big for a small person like me. (well I wasn't small when I weighed over 170 lbs at 51'0"!)

Eat less to lose weight
    end of story.

Well, it did work for me. I am the fittest, leanest, strongest, and most muscular I've ever been in my life at age 51 and I'm healthy and don't get sick and have long endurance.

absolutely right !
  • Upon further googling it looks like pushups burn about half a calorie per pushup for women and lighter people, whatever that means. I'm aware that strength exercises aren't where you should turn if you are looking to burn calories efficiently, and I'm aware that eating less and increasing lean muscle is the way to increase fitness/look good naked. I'm just looking for suggestions to a specific question, based on a mental desire.

Soooo thanks fer the suggestions.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    ...well I wasn't small when I weighed over 170 lbs at 51'0"!...

Fifty One Feet!?!

ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN!!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

Eat less to lose weight
    end of story.

Wise words
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Unless it is the two person yoga mentioned above, exercise of other types right before bed can prevent you from sleeping.
    Better to make it up the next day instead. 50 cals isn't going to be enough to make a big difference one day.