Runners where do you run in the winter?

Options
It's getting darker out sooner and I know it'll be getting colder soon. Do you continue to run outside in the winter? I've always struggled to run in the cold. last winter I had a free gym membership because I was a student Which I don't have anymore. Any suggestions on alternate workouts or tips for running in the cold what about when it's snowing?

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    on a treadmill in my basement, or at the gym, again on a treadmill.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Treadmill in my basement because I refuse to run in the snow/ice/cold. I can be a bit of a klutz so that's just a recipe for disaster!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If its warmer than -20 you can safely run outside if you dress for it. You just need a jacket and some gloves. Long pants if it's less than around 20 degrees. If its really cold mittens work better than gloves.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I started running with c25k at the end of January this year. Of course I'm in central California, so snow isn't an issue for me, but it does get cold, wet, occasionally freezes, and we get a lot of fog. I run on a mix of pavement and dirt, and did a few runs in the rain last spring - dodging puddles and staying on my feet through mud was a challenge!

As far as daylight, I'm a stay at home mom, so I have the luxury of being able to run mid-day when the weather is cool, so early darkness wasn't a problem for me either.

But as far as dressing for it - layer up! I bought some running tights, some long sleeved wicking tops to go over my tanks or tees (also wicking), some with the half zip which is great for ventilation as you get warmed up. A fleece beanie or earwrap/headband helped keep my ears warm, and the wrap is easy to pull off & just double around my wrist if I got too warm. Thin knit or fleece gloves kept my hands warm, and I even found some inexpensive ones with the "touch" fingers so I could still access my iPhone for music or my running program.

A light fleece jacket is a nice top layer for really cold days, and maybe a light wind/rain jacket shell.

After running through my hot summer, which I had been looking forward to after a cold windy winter and spring, I'm ready to run on colder days again!
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Outside unless there is lightning. I loooooove winter running!! It is so much nicer than 98 degrees and 80% humidity.
  • wjimenez10869
    Options
    I have the same problem as you do. I did buy a stepper about two years ago but I get bored using it easily. I tried watching everything and anything on TV and nothing helps. I personally don't like running out in the cold with multiple layers so options are limited. I think the treadmill in a gym might be the best investment.
  • EdgyMcSterious
    Options
    I run outside all year long. I've run when it's was 15° outside. I wear a knit hat, gloves, a long sleeve shirt and a hoody. Sometimes I wear long pants, most times I wear shorts.

I usually run a lunch so it's a bit warmer but when I do run at night I use a headlamp.

Try it out. I like getting all bundled up to run. Especially in the snow, it's awesome!!!
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I run outside rain or shine, light or dark. But I've never dealt with snow :P
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Outside all year long for me. I'm in So Cal, so our very coldest winter mornings are never lower than the high 30s. I wear shorts all year long - along with long sleeves and gloves on those cool winter mornings.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I never thought I'd be an outdoor runner in the winter because I have always hated the cold. But I love my two running groups more, so last winter I ran outside at least 2 days a week...I have run with snow and ice on the ground, in 20 degree temperatures (nothing colder than that). I just layer up with lots of dri-fit thin layers and make sure to have a hat or headband and gloves...I also like to use a scarf or some kind of cover for my throat/mouth--it warms the air so I don't breathe frigid air into my lungs.

When it's too snowy, icy or cold to run outside, I use the treadmill at my apartment complex fitness center or my gym.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I run all year long although I have yet to go out when it's been colder than about 10 degrees. I have some good warm wick clothes, a windbreaker, gloves and headbands. I prefer headbands over hats - as long as my ears are warm I'm okay. The first mile is tough when it's really cold but I still end up breaking a sweat and shedding layers by the time I'm done.

I'm more worried about the ice than I am the cold. My gym has an outside track that is a about mile and they keep that clear so I can run that at night safely if the roads and sidewalks are too icy. I also found out that a park district near me clears a trail in the winter for runners and walkers. Ask your local running store where they go to run safely in the winter.
  • jenjersnapco
    jenjersnapco Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I still run outside unless it is snowy or icy. Love it. When I tried to use the treadmill, the change in my stride brought on wicked plantar fasciitis so I keep it simple.
  • Culley34
    Options
    I run outside even with the snow. I live in a city so they're (usually) diligent about de-icing the sidewalks.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Same place I run in the summer - outside.
    But, if I lived somewhere with snow, I'm betting I'd join a gym or buy a treadmill!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I run outside 12 months a year. Doesn't matter if its 100 f, or -40. Doesn't matter if its raining, snowing, or you could fry an egg on the sidewalk. I embrace it all.

I ran a1mile polar bear run( in my skivies) on New Years in -36 celcius this year... Got dressed. Chased it down with a couple of hot toddies and then ran a 5k.

Yes, I am Canadian!
  • lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I run outside in the winter and I live in one of the coldest spots in the U.S. in Colorado. I've run through blizzards and -20 degree temperatures. When it is really cold, I usually wear a layer or two underneath a Marmot Driclime jacket and running pants with long underwear. I've run in weather cold enough that you have to have your face covered so I wear a neck gaiter or a balaclava. On my hands gloves, or gloves under wool mittens when it is really cold. And a stocking cap, of course. In warmer temperatures, like above 20, you can get warmed up pretty quickly and you don't need as many layers. I run a lot at night and use a headlamp and reflective clothing.

To me the hardest part is walking out the door. If you dress for how cold it is outside, you will get hot in all your clothing while running. For me the key is to warm up inside, in your running clothes, before you go out. I'll run in place for 5 minutes, do jumping jacks etc. to get warmed up. I do that until I'm a little uncomfortable and that's when I go out. It can be a challenge braving the cold, but it can also be pretty rewarding facing the elements.
  • lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    One more thing, I usually run in trail shoes in the snow and ice as they have better traction.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Outside unless there is ice or a lot of snow. Not going to risk an injury due to bad traction. Just dress for the weather. Growing up in Ohio where winter can get pretty cold, I would bundle up with a number of light weight layers. When it got to single digits out and heavy breathing in that cold air would make my lungs hurt, I would wrap a thin scarf around to cover my mouth and nose. A thin balaclava would work as well. It's surprising how well that works. Only thing is back then I could run right after school when it was still daylight out.

Where I live now we get a lot of 40 deg F and raining days in the winter. I plan on running outside under the street lights. Probably going to get a reflective vest as well as working my layers to stay warm while getting wet (either rain or sweat).
  • InezRny
    InezRny Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This will be my first winter as a brand new runner and I am kind of looking forward to it. I want to get the dri fit clothes and of course my hat and gloves, however I do want to run outside and will be really excited to experience running in the snow. Not when there is ice hopefully because that can be dangerous but I do want to try it. Good Luck!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Outside. I have a special pair of shoes for when it's icy as well. Take 1/2" or 3/8" hex head sheet metal screws and screw them into the bottom of the shoe. I use about a dozen per shoe, creating cleats for running on the ice.

You could run across an ice skating rink without so much as a little slip.