Left over calories

Options
I just recently discovered MFP, its my third day here but I've been trying to pursue the "healthier lifestyle" for since the new year. I've had around 200 calories remaining at the end of the day without exercise. I don't know if this is a big problem, I'm just not hungry enough to fill the 1200 calories allowed. I'm drinking a lot of water so my guess is that it's making me less hungry. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Replies

• megbar1979
    megbar1979 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would try to find a healthy way to get those 200 calories in. Eating less than 1200 calories a day can sabotage your efforts and make your body hold on to every bite you eat. ("starvation mode")
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I agree with megbar1979, you should eat those calories.
    200 cals means you can have dessert! =) I like frozen yogurt myself. Or, if you really can't eat, maybe have a big glass of milk.
  • dogmeat
    dogmeat Posts: 83
    Options
    Something like nuts (pecans, almonds, walnuts) gives you lots of calories and healthy fats in relatively small amount of eating.

Being below 1200kcal/d can actually harm your progress, slowing down your metabolism, leading to slower weight loss or weight gain.
  • lisahiller
    Options
    Eat those calories so your body doesn't go into "starvation mode" and hang onto the weight!!!!

561413.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    If you need help getting to 1200 cals, a couple of good ways would be adding fat free milk into your diet.. or Maybe put peanut butter in your oatmeal or raisins. Nuts are also a good way to add cals without having to have something big! Granola.. Those skinny Cow Ice creams are good and they're about 100 cals (the ones I got anyways)..You should try and give your body those few extra cals though, it deserves it for gettin into shape!:drinker:
  • pameloo
    Options
    I have been doing wii fit for the last 2 weeks. My daughter talked me into adding this program because of the convenience of the calorie counter. I have had a hard time getting up to 1200 calories also. It is 8:30 p. m. here and I still have 178 calories to eat and I am not hungry and can't think of anything I want. I guess a bowl of cereal might be good before I go to bed. It is hard to believe you can gain weight by not eating enough. LOL
  • mamagettinfit
    mamagettinfit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I wish I had this problem!!! Think it would work for you guys to give me your extra calories and I'll eat them for you?? heehee :)
  • hanr
    hanr Posts: 20
    Options
    Me too! I wish I had left overs!! I'm the one going for a bike ride at midnight because I late night snacked on something then realised it put me way over my limit for the day :laugh:

P.S. totally agree with everyone else - get to your 1200 calories per day or your body will do into starvation mode and hang onto the fat! boo!
  • Marsha_S
    Marsha_S Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This is a helpful thread, I joined on Monday and had no idea it was good to use all the recommended calories. I thought it was better to leave some behind!