Should I eat all of my net calories?

Options
I started this new plan last Wednesday morning. By Saturday morning, I had lost 6 pounds. Now, I'm at a stand still -- actually fluctuating between that and gaining a pound back. I'm not really complaining about that; but, I was wondering if NOT eating the full recommended calories could slow a person down? I've heard different opinions. And, I'm just wanting to know which is right. Should I be eating the full 1200 (net) calories a day? Should I be eating no more than 1200 calories (period)? Or should I be actually eating more than that (which I've heard from a couple of people -- just not from here)?

I haven't went over (or even met) my recommended 1200 net calories any day since starting this plan. Today, however, I didn't even meet 1200 calories total. If I'm not really hungry, though, should I eat more? I'm trying to stay consistent (where I don't go over); but, I'm not necessarily trying to go under. But, today, I'm just not that hungry. I had a good supper. Should I force myself to eat more than I want? What is everyone's opinion on this matter?

Replies

• DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    If I know it's going to be hard to get to my goal, I replace chicken on a sandwich with peanut butter and have a bowl of nuts next to me for random snacking
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    Eat back your exercise calories. Thank me later.
  • tinatopak
    tinatopak Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert cause I too am on a plateau. But the idea I believe is, you should try and eat all of your NET calories. I try to eat within 100plus/minus of my Net (after exercise).

Also, not sure if you've read this before but here's a collection of MFP posts related to calorie intake. I haven't read all but they're mainly talking about eating your calories back, so that your body doesn't go to starvation mode.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    You should figure out what your BMR is, and try to keep your NET above that number. You can lose going below it, but really it's healthier not to. You'll need to refigure your BMR after every 5-10 lbs lost because it will change. I'm currently doing a reset because I had been on a very low calorie diet (800-1000 calories) and when I tried to eat at a "normal" deficit I wasn't losing. A lot of people on here have had success following this, too. No reason to eat less than you need to! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12?hl
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I missed the part about you not being hungry. You can eat higher calorie foods to help you reach your goal. Add nuts, avocado, Greek yogurt, peanut butter, protein shakes. What I learned from a couple of very smart friends was to fill in your protein first, and the rest will fall into place. I usually log my entire day in the morning, then I can make changes if I need to, but at least I know what I have to work with if I have to switch something.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how much of a deficit below your actual maintenance range it produces. To know how large a deficit that would be, when not eating all of them back, you need to remember how many calories you needed to eat to maintain present weight. If you remember being full eating 1900 calories, but now you are feeling full on 1300 (especially after exercising), that's a good sign you are creating too large of a deficit and Resting Metabolic Rate is declining as well as leptin and grehlin become imbalanced.
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I would suggest meeting your weekly net, and during the week sometimes going over, sometimes going a little under, but mostly hitting your net. Eat your exercise calories back.
  • priscillapix
    Options
    I eat about 1,900 calories when I workout & burn around 700 this would leave me with a deflect of 1,200 calories right? I'm sry I'm still trying to understand this calorie in calorie out thing, but it would be really appreciative if someone could explain it a little more & also will eating this way make me loose weight? Thanks
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I don't really care much about eating extra caloires because I don't trust myself with logging...I know there will be errors and over estaimate. So excerise but not eating those calories give me room to wiggle.