People with sweet toothe. Please help me survive.

Options
I do whole day good on food front as far as nothing sweet comes but as i taste anything sweet, I just kep on eating. I have two other people and a 17 month old so avoiding sweet in home is not an option. Please suggest how you curb your eating habits. I hope there is a solution to this issue.

Replies

• Yieya
    Yieya Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Why is avoiding sweets at home not an option? Do you do the grocery shopping? I would limit what type and how many sweets come into my home. Honestly I was ADDICTED to carbs and I had to break the addiction. I went carb free for a month and 1/2 then slowly re-introduced healthy carbs back like sweet potato and whole wheat bread. I no longer have these "uncontrolable" cravings for carbs. I understand your frustration, I use to open a family size bag of chips and I couldn't stop at a few! I had to finish the bag. As much as I avoided the idea of cutting all carbs out it wasn't untill I did that, that I finally stopped having cravings for it. Now I don't even want chips and if I want something sweet I can have 2 small peices of dark chocolate and put the rest away and not have it call my name...LOL. I hope you find something that works for you. Good luck!
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Cutting sweets is one of the hardest things to do. What Is working for me is adding fruit during the day; small apple and string cheese or fresh mixed berries and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese for a snack, jell-o or Crunchies (Cinnamon dry freeze apples) (BTW they taste like apple pie!) for desert. Try the Crunches they are only 35 cal. for ½ a cup. I try to do it during the day when I am most active so I don't attack the cookies and crackers for my kid’s lunches when I get home from work.
  • karebrr23
    Options
    Extra gum has really delicious flavors at 5 calories each, my favorite is Sherbert and Orange Creme. For me, I chew it when I'm craving something sweet and it works.
  • draco706
    draco706 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Going cold turkey is hard, so I didn't. Instead I bought a bag of Godiva dark chocolate caramels (they have them at Boston Store and a lot of grocery stores) 5 pieces 200cal, 11g fat, 23g carbs, 2g protein calcium 4% iron 6%. I have one with lunch, one with my mid afternoon snack and one after dinner. Don't feel deprived and I can fit the 120cal/day into my food plan. with 20 per bag they are a delicious indulgence. If chocolate is not your sweet craving find what is and get the good stuff so a little will go a long way.
  • dosmundos
    Options
    Sugar free jello and fat free whip cream. Eat it almost every day.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Focusing on protein, fat & quality carbs (veggies & whole grains) really does help me not consume so much sugar... and it helps with cravings as well. I think sugar is one of the hardest things to cut back on if you tend to crave it. Just make sure you are getting adequate nutrition, water & sleep... and that you aren't getting too much caffeine. All those things have really helped me. When I pay more attention to the bigger picture, the sugar does seem to take care of itself.
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I pop a few tic tacs.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I like sugar-free kool-aid...sweet without killing me
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have a big time sweet tooth! It's better if I make sure I have some highly satiating meals, which for me means protein! But I still have to let myself have some sweets every day... I go for low calorie frozen yogurt. A local yogurt shop within walking distance for me has carbolite and wow cow yogurts (8 and 10 calories per ounce), so I jog there, get yogurt, and take a long walk while enjoying it :)
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Start counting your days calories from supper time to supper time instead of breakfast to breakfast. Count the candy you eat and in the morning and at lunch you may have to cut back to keep within your daily calories. This won't help with your eating candy but it is a way to keep your cals. under control. It will also show you the calorie cost of candy.
  • bbmkr3
    bbmkr3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit, Greek Yogurt, and Quaker rice snacks (Chocolate Chunk and Caramel Corn) help to satisfy my sweet tooth.
  • SusieGirlRN
    SusieGirlRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hersheys Bliss Dark Chocolate Squares ~ just two of them is satisfying enough ... let them melt on their own in your mouth, yummy!
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    How about harnassing that craving with a decent choice as a treat? We make 60 calorie cupcakes with diet dr. pepper. There are a few options, ones with egg whites and only mix with diet soda. Do a search here if you are interested; I think multiple people made different suggestions. I'm putting my cake mix in a canister so I can make only 4 or 6 at a time. These are my new favorites.
  • sherekiaj
    sherekiaj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think that it helps to get the low calorie snacks. I like the 100 calorie cookies from Nabisco and the Fiber One 90 snacks. I love snacks and I have at least one each day and still manage to keep my calories low. Also Special K has some great snack choices as well. :happy:
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Strawberries and fat free yoghurt helps me.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've been eating popsicles. They are sweet. Chewing the ice makes me feel like I ate something. And it's only 50 calories for both sides of a twin pop. Zero nutritional value for sure, but better than a snickers.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I think an occassional sweet is all right.. but if you can't handle the first bite, try not to have them in your home at all and avoid being around it..
  • tim_w13
    tim_w13 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    thx all.really was feeling kind of lost. I will try your tips. I am indian and sweets are big part of all festive seasons any wedding or occasion people give and take alot. so you end up with almost five boxes at one time. or one big box from one family. since i have bigger sweet tooth. I end up cleaning this all up.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I swear by watermelon. I have a horrible sweet tooth. Two entire cups of it only has 100 calories. When I'm craving cakes and things, I eat that and it completely takes the craving away.