Don't laugh but...

Options
I bought a bike yesterday :laugh:

Not been on a bike for twenty years...any tips coz I really think I'm gonna fall off :laugh:

Replies

• LupaNera
    Options
    Nice!! Ehm no advices here since I never got to stay on a bike!
    Anything rollerblades ice skating but bikes were just trees or my face in the dirt :D
    They say that you can't forgot how to go in bike so I believe you just have to try :)
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have no tips, I also haven't been on a bike in years and thinking of getting one. Hope it works out ok for you.
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I got on a bike last year after 25 years as my car died! Thought the saddle would kill me but suggest a gel saddle or cover to help. I just got a mileometre & that has boosted me to go just that little faster & takes the focus off the aches to a goal. Little at a time.......
  • KaityMarie379
    KaityMarie379 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just got back on my bike after 2 years of driving everywhere...yes, I know, I'm a baby.
    It really feels good to speed around by the mercy of your legs and self cool with sweat. I think you'll really enjoy feeling sore in weird places because that means weird places are finally working and stretching out!

I would go to WalMart or something and buy one of those reflective vests. They're not stylish, but for $7 they'll make you feel a lot safer at night if you plan on riding. Compare installing just blinkers/reflectors on your bike vs wearing one of these and the squeaky breaks behind you seem to start sooner. HELMET. Your noggin rocks.

Otherwise, just take it slow, adjust gears to where you can keep up a continuous cadence but not so you look like you're pushing air with your feet...and drink water!

Have fun :]
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :smile:

I think I may need stabilisers though :laugh:
  • Loveable64
    Loveable64 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thats great ,am going to by me one and start off slow and take day at a time.
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Howdy! ..

Just start nice and steady until you 'Find you feet' (pedals) :wink:

Short gentle easy trips until you gain more confidence.

I bought a bike about 18mths ago.. and I LOVE it!!! ...

I do lots of off road trail bumpy muddy fun stuff now! ... (from starting out wobbley about on a quiet flat road)

You can do it!! :drinker:
  • LupaNera
    Options

Well you might just use some pillows :laugh:
  • Fozzi43
    Options

Well you might just use some pillows :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i have been off my bike for about 16 years and now i have a partner who works fora bike company so i have been nagged for ages to get back on.

Go somewhere quiet ( child free so we don't run them over and you don't need extra to panic about ) and have a little go up and down a path. DO NOT STOP PEDALING ( i fell off when i slowed down!)
    Oh and giant padded knickers are a total option - just hide them under some joggers

enjoy!!
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Over here we practically give birth on bikes, so it's kinda second nature to me :p
    The only tip I have is start slow on quiet roads :) Before you know it you'll be biking everywhere!
  • Rozlynmac
    Options
    Maybe it's worth checking out Halfords and any other local superstores to see if they carry adverts for cycling proficiency courses - get some pointers and a few wee test runs for practice/support? (Assuming you're in the UK?)

Or google your local area and cycling and see what you get. There's likely to be graded cycle tracks so you can try out the gentler quieter ones until you feel more comfortable on the bike.
  • Fozzi43
    Options

Oh and giant padded knickers are a total option - just hide them under some joggers

enjoy!!

I thought more of a suit of armour :laugh: :laugh:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I love my bike!

If you have a pannier rack get a good bag that clips onto it. I have one that I can fit enough in for an overnight stay or pack my groceries in when shopping. It is also comfortable for carrying around town when I'm off my bike (Basil do a good range if you can get them where you are).

It's also good to learn some basic bike maintenance - being able to fix a puncture yourself when out and about is very useful. Being able to replace and adjust my own brake blocks and tyres etc. also saves me a lot of money. You just need a few basic tools to get started and some Youtube videos :)
  • funkylemur
    funkylemur Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Well done! Last time I rode a bike I was about 8 !
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    Right.....now going to have a go :laugh: I live on a very quiet road...I shall report back but if you don't hear from me you'll know I've fallen off and am crawling back :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • kat191
    Options
    I had the same problem until my mum told me that riding is a bike is like learning to walk once you know how to do it you dont forget!
  • bernieh27510
    Options
    Good one Lizzie. I bought myself an exercise bike a few weeks ago and I totally love it. xxx
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i just got a new bike too!!!! before kids (12 years ago) used to cycle everywhere and was fit - now it's time to stop driving and get back on 2 wheels! I got a really fancy bike thru the cycle to work scheme as my old bike is now over 20years old. first thing i did was fall off coz i couldn't get my feet out of the clippy things in time. I've been going to spin classes to get in shape and figured it was time to get out of the hot stinky room and into the fresh air. What about putting in some time on a stationary bike and getting used to the feel and getting the right muscles working. obviously won't help with the balance and working brakes and gears but that will all come as you get on a real bike.
    just relax and have fun!!!
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    I'm back! :laugh:

I just had a go round the block where I lived...and didn't fall off:laugh: but just need to get used to stopping with the brakes instead of just slowing right down before applying the brakes. Will need to get a seat cover as its very hard but that's ok :laugh:

I live just a stones throw from work and I wanted a bike to ride to work as the time my son goes to school to the time I have to be at work isn't long enough to walk.
    It's got gears and they are set so to pedal is pretty hard but just got to learn how to use them :laugh:

I'm very pleased with myself :laugh: