Running speed...what is considered 'good'?

Options
13»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    The best pace to run for weight loss is the one where you find it enjoyable enough to continue long term. :wink: Whether you run a 5k in 20 minutes or 30, there's not going to be a major difference in the amount of calories burned.

For local races, the male winners typically come in around 17-18 minutes, the female winners around 20 minutes, the middle of the pack around 30 minutes, and some people walk and finish in about an hour.

Personally, I find running three times a week is perfect. I strength train three days a week, and take a day off.
  • dycheelizabeth
    Options
    Oops...meant to hit "quote" and I hit "reply" instead...sorry!
  • dycheelizabeth
    Options
    what stretches do you guys do before running ? any thoughts on how much stretching you should do ?

You should do a warm up(brisk walk for 10min will do the trick) then stretch for 10-15 min before you run...you should stretch again(10-15) min when you are done...dont forget that stretching burns calories too!
  • shinjite
    Options
    For weight loss faster run,shorter time i.e sprints is better it is the equivalent of HIIT, for overall health slower and longer is purported to be better.
    It ultimately depends on your running goals whether you want to be endurance ( slower/longer) or stamina (faster/shorter0
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Takes me 16 minutes to run a mile.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I greatly prefer intervals myself. This has been my setup the last two times:

2 minutes @ 3.3mph (warmup) [0:00 - 2:00]

1 minute @ 9.9mph
    1 minute @ 6.6mph
    1 minute @ 3.3mph
    repeat the prior three minutes [2:00 - 8:00]

2 minutes @ 3.3mph (mid-point) [8:00 - 10:00]

1 minute @ 9.9mph
    1 minute @ 6.6mph
    1 minute @ 3.3mph
    repeat the prior three minutes [10:00 - 16:00]

1 minute @ 3.3mph [16:00 - 17:00]

1 minute @ ~12mph [17:00 - 18:00]

2 minutes @ 3.3mph [18:00 - 20:00]

I walk 11 of the 20 minutes but I still end up pretty close to two miles in 20 minutes. I think I saw around 10:40 today when I hit the one mile mark.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    what stretches do you guys do before running ? any thoughts on how much stretching you should do ?

You should do a warm up(brisk walk for 10min will do the trick) then stretch for 10-15 min before you run...you should stretch again(10-15) min when you are done...dont forget that stretching burns calories too!

Really? When I had a gym membership a couple of years ago while losing 50lbs, I was told to NEVER stretch before a run, only after a run...by the gym personal trainer. He gave me lots of reasons but I cant for the life of me remember why! But yeah, I never stretch before a run now since hearing this advice...even when I did my first race I didn't stretch before it and I was perfectly fine, never pulled any muscles :huh: What should I do? Keep doing as I'm doing or start stretching?:smile:
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    How fast is good? Google 'Age-grading' and you will see how your speed compares.

Fun-runners - up to 60%
    Regular recreational runner - 60-70%
    Club Runner 70 - 80%
    Competition runner - 80-90%
    International Runner 90%+

100% is the world record for your age/sex

As for wear and tear on your joints it cuts both ways. training will strengthen your ligaments. muscles, tendons etc. but then you are using them a lot more too. Running on hard surfaces can take its toll over time on knee ankle and hip joints. Then you add in the increased likelihood of other injuries. So plenty of rest, good shoes, soft surfaces (track, grass, trail) will all help reduce the negative effects.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You don't need to stretch if you don't want to. Unstretched muscles and tendons are better for running anyway as the energy return is decreased with stretching. You do need to warm up though with some walking and easy running before you push the pace.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Running on hard surfaces can take its toll over time on knee ankle and hip joints.

This myth has been debunked. Running does not damage your joints. It is no worse on the joints than the activities of non-runners and it has been shown that running has improved joint fitness in some runners.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I cycle now due to foot probelms - thought I cycled at a reasonable pace - 13mph over mixed terrain, pretty quick, wind blowing through my hair

13mph on a mountain bike, not bad I thought...

Until I watched a marathon and they said they were running at world record pace.

26.2 miles in 2 hours, 3 minutes

That's 13 miles an hour.......... for 26 DAMN MILES!
    Just beyond belief how they can run like that
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Try to mix it up to, I rotate between hill intervalls (.5 miles 0 incline .25 miles incline) (or I go outside and try to find as many hills as I can), a normal easy paces run, and a speed interval (i go 3 mines 7.0 1 min 8.5 then I walk a min and adjust depending on how I feel that day). That is just what I do and there is a ton of different things you can do but the variety will help everything :-)
  • RKAY89
    Options
    All depends on you.. measure how fast you run from when you first start your running "program" and see how much faster you get week after week.. I generally run a 9 or 10 minute mile, which is 6.7mph or 6mph respectively... but when I started I couldn't run for more than 45 secs at a time (I'm being serious!) without needing to stop for 2 mins to catch my breath.. I have terrible asthma... but now I do a 6.7mph 10min warm-up run followed by 30secs sprint as fast as I can then 30secs jog for 15 mins...

I started out by using this guide..

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

and once I couldrun for 30 mins non-stop, I just focused on improving my speed and recovery etc
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    I can run for 12mph... but only for about 1/10th of a mile. Boggles my mind that anyone can keep that intensity up for more than 30 seconds!
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You don't need to stretch if you don't want to. Unstretched muscles and tendons are better for running anyway as the energy return is decreased with stretching. You do need to warm up though with some walking and easy running before you push the pace.

To stretch or not to stretch is a controversial subject with passionate people on both sides. It is also highly individual and for most folks it's either over or underdone. Remember though that one of the fundamental pillars of physical fitness is flexibility.

Performing a warm up is perhaps boring but is absolutely essential. Warming up does not have to be time consuming and it's actually proven to be better at preventing injuries than stretching. I prefer a combination of the two.

I would suggest that beginning runners stretch a little before/during warm up as part of it but most importantly right after a run. (hamstrings, quads, calves, shins, groin, hips) Some people require extra help with their flexibility than others. It also depends on what they were doing prior to a run. ex; worst case; a long plane ride. We need to listen to our body and individually judge if some stretching is appropriate and helpful.

There are days where I take extra time to stretch and there are other days where I don't stretch at all. But, one thing I do is to always warm up. If I don't have time to warm up I don't have time to run. I have had so many running friends through the years that just go out and run or do a small legalistic stretch and have paid for it with injuries. Some of those injuries led them to stop running altogether.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    I usually walk about 1/3 to 1/2 mile both before and after my run to warm up and cool down. I don't often stretch.