What is this 'Heavy Lifting' thing I keep hearing about?

Options
I do cardio every day but am really sporadic with any weight training. When I do weight training I do 5 reps of 10 using 10lb weights and basically just do upper body. My legs are already pretty muscular from hiking and carrying around my big self all day. But, I have seen people posting about 'Heavy Lifting' and how it kicks up the fat loss. And, you can't deny that a healthy bit of muscle is not only beautiful but functional. :wink:

Where do I learn more about heavy lifting? I would love to hear peoples experiences good and bad with this!

Replies

• Iceman1800
    Options
    Hmmm, I've heard of this too :)
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    A good place to start is by reading The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I had my boyfriend (used to be an amateur body builder) help me customize a routine. However, my next step is checking out this book!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    FIrst off, you are doing yourself a huge disservice by only training upper body. While your legs may seem muscular, I highly doubt they actually are. So Squats, and Lunges would be a good thing to add into your routine.

Second, if you have the time to weed through them all, there are a ton of websites and programs online. Since I don't, and I'm quite lazy, I just pay a personal trainer to set up a routine for me. I generally do total body workouts 2-3 times a week, with varying sets of reps/weights.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    ROFL! Iceman and Brock. That makes me NOT interested in lifting. :laugh:

I'll have to check that out g00d (leave it to one of my MFP friends to know something about it! :)
  • cgarand
    Options
    dad106, I do squats and lunges but not with weights. It's part of my step aerobics program. I should be more focused about what I'm doing so I get better results.
  • shuadchaun
    Options
    Lifting not only helps burn more fat it makes you look better overall. I'm using the method talked about on http://stronglifts.com. It's similar to the new rules of lifting. Good luck with weight training.
  • hypergrl
    hypergrl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It's true that Muscle burns fat! I do a program that requires I lift a heavy weight for about 10 - 12 reps. I like this because I reach failure faster, but still get the muscle building exercises. i'm to learning to like and hopefully love lifting.
    If interested add me and I'll send you a link...
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    dad106, I do squats and lunges but not with weights. It's part of my step aerobics program. I should be more focused about what I'm doing so I get better results.

So in other words you need to strength train more instead of doing it randomly, so that you get the results you want?

If that is, then thats up to you. You know you need to strength train more to get the results you want.. so do just that.

LIke I stated earlier, there are programs on line and another poster suggested New Rules of LIfting for Women. Do a quick google search for strength training programs and you'll find a ton.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Also a lot of leg resistance training works more than your legs. Most exercises work your butt, your back, and your abs - the whole core. I love squats now with weights and deadlifts are growing on me.

I second using The New Rules for Lifting for Women. Very, very very basic definition but you gradually increase the amount of weight you lift over time with various body parts. You do fewer reps, heavier weights. The book is awesome.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I just started doing chalene extreme which is good because i need someone motivating me to lift because otherwise i get so bored! i was doing just cardio for so long but after a while i got tired of it and wanted a change. and like you i kept hearing things about muscle burning fat. so i am giving this a try. i got mine on ebay for very cheap.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    A good place to start is by reading The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I had my boyfriend (used to be an amateur body builder) help me customize a routine. However, my next step is checking out this book!

I second this. I am in phase 1 and loving it. I never thought I would get so much strength so quickly. I feel great and notice a big difference. My body is learning to burn calories more efficiently and I am going down dress sizes! I highly recommend this book if you want to know about lifting. The workouts are challenging, but it does a great job of helping you go from light lifting to truly gaining strength and lifting heavy. The book really spells everything out, which I really needed since I never lifted before because I didn't want to get "bulky" (which I was already because I am fat lol.). The book also touches on that myth too!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Check the link below. Buy and read the SS book. Run the Allpro's routine. It is very forgiving for smeone eating a calorie deficit.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners

Newer link to Allpro's routine with FAQ at beginning http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933
  • cgarand
    Options
    A MFP friend who is amazingly fit pointed me towards bodybuilding.com. I am starting Jaime Eason's LIveFit 12 week trainer TODAY! I'm going to do before and after pictures/measurements. Lets see what I can do!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    A MFP friend who is amazingly fit pointed me towards bodybuilding.com. I am starting Jaime Eason's LIveFit 12 week trainer TODAY! I'm going to do before and after pictures/measurements. Lets see what I can do!

The forums there are awesome, but the routines on the supersite are not.