if eating under 1200cals is so bad.......

Options
why do i see people getting such good results doing it argh!!!

i have never gone under 1200cals and i eat back most exercise cals too. i havent been logging for ages now though but have been maintaining as i dont usually try new things so i have a rough idea on my cals. i eat around 1600cals and when i exercise i log that and usually eat more so around 1900-2300cals a day. i havent lost any weight in ages infact iv gained about 8lbs since i started doing insanity last month!!!

yet i have friends on here who fill there diary in daily and eat pretty rubbish but under 1200 some only 800cals of pure rubbish! and still seem to be losing weight at a fast pace!

i really dont understand this, i do delete these people but havent in afew weeks, its just really off putting i dont get fast results any more yet it seems eating afew ready meals, mugshots or processed crap is making these people lose up to 2lb a week!!

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    The people you mention who are eating rubbish and losing fast....how much do they need to lose? If they're quite big then dropping to below 1200 calories will make them lose fast, however they're eating those calories. I don't think you can maintain good loss while eating like that though.

Personally I eat around 1400 a day, and I don't eat back my exercise calories. I was eating around 1200, and since I upped it slightly I've been losing faster. I suppose since I exercise a lot and have been doing so for well over a year now, my metabolism has probably speeded up.

If that's you in the pink dress on your profile pic, then you clearly don't have a lot to lose, so it'll take you a bit longer anyway. The last 7lbs or so are always the toughest I think.

Just ignore the people eating rubbish. You know it's not healthy and it won't do them any good in the long term.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    You have the possibility of your body going into starvation mode if you break under 1200 calories. Generally speaking, there isn't anything else bad about it, unless you're getting bad nutrition, or feel like you're starving yourself. You don't have to ride your calorie number all the time. You can eat less if you want to.

IMO the concept of "eating back exercise calories" sounds more like an excuse to eat more than a plan to lose weight. I'm sure it works, it just sounds odd to me.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    With all due honesty, I dont associate with people who eat well below the 1200 or net below 1200.. it is not a healthy management of weight loss or health. Yes, there are people who willingly do that, but I personally find it to be self-destructive... Id rather lose the weight gradually and do it the right way...
  • LauriesTrying2BeFit
    Options
    With all due honesty, I dont associate with people who eat well below the 1200 or net below 1200.. it is not a healthy management of weight loss or health. Yes, there are people who willingly do that, but I personally find it to be self-destructive... Id rather lose the weight gradually and do it the right way...

i agree it just really annoys me when i try to give good advice but its as though im just talking rubbish as they lose easy anyway and they arent big at all! average weight!
  • lauraatkinson85
    lauraatkinson85 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I find it particularly hard when someone who only ever eats 800kcals comments on my diary telling me im eating 'too many carbs', when in all reality im eating a balanced diet of around 1200 kcals and also exercising. Surely not everyone thinks that carbs are the 'enemy'.

As far as I understand 1200 is the minimum anyone should eat in order to make sure that they are getting all the nutrients that they need.

I'd rather do it healthily and get fit rather than losing weight but having a poorly heart!

Well done on the great weight loss!

x
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

i agree it just really annoys me when i try to give good advice but its as though im just talking rubbish as they lose easy anyway and they arent big at all! average weight!

If the advice is asked, then the receiver really should take it to heart. When its unprompted, that is when all hell breaks loose to be honest.

I simply wont associate with anyone who does this. I dont comment on anyone's intake but I wont keep them around if they willingly make those bad choices... I dont want to be associated with that.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Many years ago before I had any common sense and before I learnt to cook I lived on a diet of baked potatoes with butter, pot noodles and alcohol I lost roughly 42lb in 3mths and I was fairly thin to start with..
    I went from being healthy and boisterous teenager to nearly feral, sleeping with 1 eye open due to a violent boyfriend didnt help much either...
  • yaffa11
    yaffa11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Michelle and i was reading everybody's post, i didn't even know they were here, i am new to this site, and i was wondering why your thoughts on eating your exercise calories are so bad ? Just wondering your opinion on this. i eat them all the time because i struggle with such hunger, and im always looking for ways to eat more, eating less at certain meals eating things with little calories you name it, iv talked to trainers at the gym and they said if that's what i need to do that is was just simple math burn more than you take in. so if im burning more than im taking in after eating the excersise calories why is that bad?? Please let me know your opinion, im just trying to get all the input i can on so many questions iv been having. Been there, done it all, just curious on peoples opinions. I know everyone's body is different, so im seeking different stories. Thanks for sharing. Michelle
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I find it particularly hard when someone who only ever eats 800kcals comments on my diary telling me im eating 'too many carbs', when in all reality im eating a balanced diet of around 1200 kcals and also exercising. Surely not everyone thinks that carbs are the 'enemy'.

As far as I understand 1200 is the minimum anyone should eat in order to make sure that they are getting all the nutrients that they need.

I'd rather do it healthily and get fit rather than losing weight but having a poorly heart!

Well done on the great weight loss!

x

How I understand the carb thing is that there are two types of carbs. I fallow few yoga related websides and while I don't allways agree with everything they say there (I'm not going to become vegan thank you very much even if I love plants and can go for days without any animal products) , on one of tehm I found a great explanation of this carb issue :

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-6029/3-Common-Carb-Misconceptions.html

I'll admit I do not allways hit the 1200 target but this is not intentional, it just simply happens and the only time I ate under 800 was when I woke up in the afternoon after crazy partying and I saw no point in having breakfast in lunch time so I skipped it.
  • michellekathryn
    Options
    I know I eat poorly but that is why I came to this site. I have my diary open because I want the advice and the guidance. Also I want to be honest so I can see where my weaknesses are and be inspired by people like you to make better choices. Thanks for being an inspiration.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

You must be younger than I am.

I'm over 50. I normally take in around 1300 calories and net well under under 1200. My goal is 1310. I am not even vaguely hungry and eat what the rest of my family eats. I walk to work and do a very brisk walk in the afternoon, but that's it.. I have't missed a weekly calorie goal ever and haven't gone over my net by more than 10 calories in several months.

When I hit my early 40's there was a noticable slowing of my metabolism so that if I ate the same as I used to, I gained weight (23 pounds, to be exact). When I hit my late 40's it became a little more noticeable.

I doubt my 30 year old self could have happily lived netting 1200. But my 50 year old self? No problem.

What I love about MFP is that it allows me to monitor my intake. But sorry, it hasn't been a deprivation and I choose my food carefully and feel healthier than I have in years. This isn't a diet. Having hit my initial weight loss goal, I dropped it down because this has been too easy and it is obvious this is a good calorie level for me.
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    They might be taking the weight off, but it's not all fat. They're loosing muscle, too, and that's not good. Eating 800 calories of rubbish is not nourishing your body. They might get skinny, even if their metabolism fights them, but they've actually harmed their bodies and they're not a healthy, sexy thin.

While you're doing insanity, you're putting on muscle. I didn't loose for the better part of a month myself while I was building muscle, too. Now it's coming off well and I'm sure having this extra muscle is part of the reason. Keep doing some exercising and maybe cut back on your calories a tad....leave some of your exercise calories not eaten each day and see if that doesn't work for you. That is what I have to do. I have friends loosing weight while eating enough calories that would put weight on me. I joke that I'm famine resistant, but honestly, I am.....it's genetic and it's from having done ultra low calorie diets in the past. I damaged my own metabolism.
  • legalporter
    legalporter Posts: 20 Member
    Options

You must be younger than I am.

I'm over 50. I normally take in around 1300 calories and net well under under 1200. My goal is 1310. I am not even vaguely hungry and eat what the rest of my family eats. I walk to work and do a very brisk walk in the afternoon, but that's it.. I have't missed a weekly calorie goal ever and haven't gone over my net by more than 10 calories in several months.

When I hit my early 40's there was a noticable slowing of my metabolism so that if I ate the same as I used to, I gained weight (23 pounds, to be exact). When I hit my late 40's it became a little more noticeable.

I doubt my 30 year old self could have happily lived netting 1200. But my 50 year old self? No problem.

What I love about MFP is that it allows me to monitor my intake. But sorry, it hasn't been a deprivation and I choose my food carefully and feel healthier than I have in years. This isn't a diet. Having hit my initial weight loss goal, I dropped it down because this has been too easy and it is obvious this is a good calorie level for me.

I hit 40 this summer and have really noticed a change in caloric needs (gradually, over the past year or so). I used to be able to eat 'rubbish' and stay around my calorie goal and lose weight. Now, I've learned that it's the quality of food that I eat that helps me lose. I shoot for 1200 calories (I gain if I eat more) and if I'm eating right, I'm not hungry at all.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    Options
    I try to eat at least 1200, and normally do about 1300.
    However, i don't eat my exercise bonus calories.

MFP site will warn you about going into starvation mode if you eat less than 1200. However if you eat exactly 1200 and burn off 500 running, it won't warn you.

I'd worry about someone just eating the 1200 without exercising, as @LisaLouisiana points out, they'll be losing weight through muscle loss. However if you're hitting the weights and have a good protein intake then i can't see you losing muscle mass.

I'm only dropping about 2-3lb a week, and i'm gyming it every single day. I'm sure if i cut out the gym, and just ate lightly i could lose much faster.... There's the right way and the wrong way... :)
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    As someone else said, above 1200kcal (which is still extreamly low for someone who doesnt have more than 100lbs to loose) is not so dangerous for the now, but for the future....that point when you loose a load of weight and look really skinny, but realise you are weak and drained as you've lost 'all' your muscle and can only eat 1200kcal a day or you put on weight, compared to someone who looks lean, has a good muscle mass and can eat 2100kcal a day!.... muscle is your best friend in life and you should do everything to preserve it!....

As for the going under 1200kcal with exersize and not getting the warning (i didnt know this as i have never done it) although you have the same problem, your body will burn some lovely quick release muscel to make up the difference it needs!.

Without meaning to sound like an a'hole... i eat a NET of 1600kcal per day (MFP says to do 1400kcal but i plateued), i eat back all my exersize calories (which can quite often be 1500 extra). I dont give a cr*p about high carb, low carb i only look to get a good amount of protein and minimise on processed food (although there are a few bits in there)... and im still loosing 2lbs a week!....

Any questions feel free to message me! x
  • bethanywink
    Options
    MFP has me at eating 1200, thats my goal. I usually get between 1200 and 1300, but I work out alot, so I try to eat more on those days.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Of course starving yourself makes you lose weight. Duh. It's bad because it's unhealthy. This is not a hard concept.
  • Turtlehurdle
    Options
    I don't understand how in the hell people can eat -below- 1200. I have problems staying AT 1200. I always tend to go slightly above.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    It's cals in, cals out. If you are not losing at 1200 and you are 100% honest about everything you eat...everything. Then, drop it to 1100. If still no results, drop it to 1000. It's simple math. At some point, you have to lose.

You could also go the other way with the eat more to weigh less crowd. It really depends on your activity level, I think.
  • madmish00
    Options
    Don't be too disheartened. When you start an intense exercise program like insanity you will often see a weight gain initially because you will retain a lot more water until your body adjusts. Keep at it and you will see the pounds start dropping.

1200 calories is a number that has been demonised as the number not to cross below. This is on the basis that people have somehow deemed this number to be the minimum requirements your body needs on a day to day basis, however people have entirely different basal metabolic rates

For example based on the BMR calculator on this site:
    My BMR is 1259
    My boyfriend's BMR is 1734
    My mum's BMR is 1372

Clearly for me to eat 1200 calories a day would be OK but at 1200 calories my boyfriend would be eating nearly 600 calories less than his body needs for its basic functions. For him 1800 calories would be the number not to drop under. Work with your own BMR. If you occasionally drop below this your body will not shut down and 'starve' as some people will have you believe but you should not consistently aim below this number as your metabolism will eventually start to slow down and then it will become much harder to lose weight. This is due to the fact that if you feed your body only 800 calories and your metabolism adapts to this low number when you do eat more your body will work to conserve it i.e store it as fat in preparation for when calories drop back down. This is what is really meant by starvation mode.

Ideally you want to aim for your daily calories to be somewhere in between your BMR and Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is calculated by multiplying your BMR calories by your activity level (Multiply by 1.2 for sedentary, 1.375 lightly active, 1.55 moderately active, 1.725 very active or 1.9 extremely active)

My TDEE is 2072. I therefore work on an 1800 calorie intake. This factors in a 250 calorie deficit which equates to about 0.5lbs per week.

It is difficult to consistently eat less than 1200 cals and provided your body with the nutrients it needs. The people doing this may lose weight but they will likely feel like crap most of the time.