cough cough hack

....Any favorite sore throat/cold/flu teas or other remedies? I think I've got some bone broth in the freezer, but I don't know if it's any good any more and don't really feel like making any more whilst sick.

Replies

• mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    I swear by slamming the virus with zinc and vitamin C (cold-eeze lozenges are pretty good) - if I catch it early enough, definitely seems to lessen the severity and duration of the cold.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    The best thing for a sore throat is to run the tap as hot as you can and fill up a coffe mug with warm-hot water with a good amount of salt and garggle with it! Always helps me!
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    The best thing for a sore throat is to run the tap as hot as you can and fill up a coffe mug with warm-hot water with a good amount of salt and garggle with it! Always helps me!

Yeah, I already told you I'd quit whining about it, and then I go to the forums and b!tch about being sick. Man, I don't know why I'm such a wuss over this one.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    A hot toddy!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,728 Member
    Honey and lemon juice in hot black tea always seems to help my cough and sore throat.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    My favorite remedy is to chop up 1 or 2 cloves of garlic and "steep" them in hot water for about 5 minutes, then add some lemon and honey and drink. It clears your sinuses right away and it always cures the beginnings of any colds I have coming on. And it really helps my throat and I am a big fat wuss about having sore throats. :)
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    warm up 2TBS of honey in the microwave for about 10 seconds, add some grape juice, consume. I swear the shlt works.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    If it's in the early stages...elderberry syrup (a good antiviral) and echinacea. Echinacea in tincture form, squirted directly onto the back of the throat has always taken care of our sore throats within a day. (But then, I tincture my herbs in 100-proof vodka. :wink: I don't know if it would be as effective with tinctures from the HFS that are usually glycerin.)

If it's already taken hold--raw garlic. You can cut up a clove in small pieces and swallow them like pills. Or make a batch of hummus with about 3-4 cloves and dip some raw veggies in it.
    Ginger tea--get a piece of ginger root from the grocery store, shred about 1inch, boil/steep for about 30-45 minutes. Strain, add lemon & honey.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Steep a chunk of ginger in hot water with lemon, and bit of honey. Really helps to soothe. I also find mint tea is great on a sore throat. Hope you feel better soon :)
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    If it's in the early stages...elderberry syrup (a good antiviral) and echinacea. Echinacea in tincture form, squirted directly onto the back of the throat has always taken care of our sore throats within a day. (But then, I tincture my herbs in 100-proof vodka. :wink: I don't know if it would be as effective with tinctures from the HFS that are usually glycerin.)

If it's already taken hold--raw garlic. You can cut up a clove in small pieces and swallow them like pills. Or make a batch of hummus with about 3-4 cloves and dip some raw veggies in it.
    Ginger tea--get a piece of ginger root from the grocery store, shred about 1inch, boil/steep for about 30-45 minutes. Strain, add lemon & honey.

^^^^ Excellent remedies. We use these very concoctions in our home, and they work wonders!! In addition to ginger, we make tea with licorice root and cinammon sticks -- yummy and soothing. (Do not use licorice if pregnant or nursing.)
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Steep a chunk of ginger in hot water with lemon, and bit of honey. Really helps to soothe. I also find mint tea is great on a sore throat. Hope you feel better soon :)
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Black tea with honey and lemon feels heavently on a sore throat.

And over the past few years, as I've felt a cold coming on, I eat a big chunk of beef (grill a tri tip or make a burger from ground sirloin, Carl's 6-dollar burger if nothing else), take a multivitamin, and go to bed as early as possible. I was surprised but it really did seem to work-- I'd wake up tired but with my cold having changed its mind and gone away.