Office Parties - How do you handle them?

Options
My co-workers are trying to kill me. They brought food in to celebrate my coming on board (very nice of them), but they all brought bakery muffins to the tune of 630+ calories each! OY! To be polite, I ate one brownie and one heath mini bar, but avoided the muffins like the plague! I told them all thank you very much, that I appreciated the gesture, but that I'd recently worked very hard to lose a bunch of weight and I wasn't ready to derail that today. They seemed a trifle put out, but no one said anything.

The little girl inside me that my mother raised is screaming that this is horribly impolite, but the big girl that I used to be is screaming to run away from the muffins.

How do you handle these situations without appearing rude?

Replies

• jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Grab a muffin and say you'll eat it later, but it looks delicious and you really appreciate it! Then you can take it to your purse or office, and either eat it over time or just dispose of it. (I know it sounds like a waste, but they made them for you in the first place).
  • cyndispot
    Options
    Truthfully, just say Thank you. That's all that's required. You do not have to eat and to be truthful, noone is sitting by with a notebook trying to figure out how much you ate. Noone is doing it, I promise.

I have never been to an office event where anyone asked my opinion of the foods either. At most they asked me for a recipe of something I brought. You are the only one tallying your food.

Just a thank you for thinking of me is plenty.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Tricky one and especially as you know they mean well and have gone to a lot of effort. Like someone else has said I would take a muffin home (or two - can you say that someone else at home would also love one so would they mind?). Or just eat a bit of one and take the rest home.

It's up to you what you eat so don't let other people dictate what you put in your mouth. There are tough moments but you get stronger over time and eventually people do get used to the fact that you don't eat cakes and stuff regularly. xx
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Grab a muffin and say you'll eat it later, but it looks delicious and you really appreciate it! Then you can take it to your purse or office, and either eat it over time or just dispose of it. (I know it sounds like a waste, but they made them for you in the first place).

^^^ This is a good suggestion.

If you have the willpower, you can let them see you take one bite even, then "lose it" in the trash when they aren't looking. I did that with a donut the other day. It was easy though because it was a Krispy Kreme glazed and I hate those anyway. :tongue:

You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    I forgot my breakfast this morning and my co-workers had a birthday party for someone. I was hungry so one of the guys and I split a piece of coffee cake. Luckily, even the men in my office watch what they eat/exercise.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Eat everything, get on track the next day
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options

Please tell me you're joking. There is no way that I'm going to eat a muffin that is more than 1/3 of my daily calories. Ever. I don't even want to eat half of one! I'm sure as hell not going to eat "everything". *shudder*
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Please tell me you're joking. There is no way that I'm going to eat a muffin that is more than 1/3 of my daily calories. Ever. I don't even want to eat half of one! I'm sure as hell not going to eat "everything". *shudder*

Eat the muffins or don't. You're an adult, make your own decisions.

There is no reason you can't eat a muffin. If you don't want to, then just don't do it.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

a muffin is a third of your daily calories?
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Tell them you are diabetic:)
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options

my daily calories is anywhere from 1200 - 1600...a muffin can be anywhere form 400 - 700 calories depending on kind and size...I avoid them like the plague
  • mirandagod77
    mirandagod77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I think you handled it very well! You have a right on what you put in your body and they will understand you have goals ect... very nice of them to welcome you so nicely:) i'm on my second day back to work after 6 years home with my kids:wink:
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    At my office, they make cake for who ever's birthday it is that day. I work for a small office (6 of us total). So we get together around one table and all eat cake and shoot the *hit.

I have learned on days like this to save some calories for the cake! Today is actually a birthday and I worked out a little more this morning, and didn't have my usual toast or english muffin for breakfast (I had some protein instead). So I saved up some extra calories and left room for the carbs.

Bring on the cake!!!

btw...I stay away from muffins at all costs!!! I love them, but they just aren't worth it! The people I work with know me better than to bring me a muffin. Since you are new, I would politely say thank you, but no thanks! Once they get to know you, they will understand!
    :wink:
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Smart idea "take a muffin to eat later and then toss it"!. Sounds like you are new to the group, so you want to make a good impression. Understandable. And it's true, no one is really taking notes on what you do and don't eat. So be true to yourself and do what you need to. You are responsible for taking care of you, not pleasing everyone else.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I'm actually dead serious, beleive it or not, you can be quite successful in dieting without being in a caloric deficit every single day and avoiding all tasty treats. Consistency is important, but that doesn't mean you always have to be under your cals
  • msjamartin
    Options
    What you chose to eat was fine. You participated. You said thank you. Since you are new in the office, they need to also get to know you. No need to explain about the weighloss etc in a way that may put them off when you are just getting to know them. It may come across as too much information and a bit off-putting (I know, I've lost almost 185 and everyone find that "cool" but the don't want to be reminded every event). Just saying thank you and choosing something small shows your appreciation. The muffins were not required. If that was all that was there then take a knife, cut it and say something like "this is way to much, anyone want to share?"

Over time they will see that you eat healthy. Not that you don't enjoy good food, but you moderate and eat correct portions. You will have opportunity to bring food to events and you can bring delicious yet healthier options that fit your plan and improve the offerings in the office. It can be contagious if done right. Be patient with your new co-workers.
  • jasondcooper
    Options

She posted that the muffins were 600+ calories. That's easily a third of a woman's daily calories.

I think the advice to say "thank you" is definitely warranted. Also, the piece about taking something with you with the promise to eat it later is pretty savvy. I appreciate the desire to play nice with people's feelings, especially since they went to the trouble to make something to share with others. That said, when office parties are so frequent, it can be imposing on ones diet (to say nothing of ones finances.)
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Eat and enjoy yourself. Get back on track tomorrow.
  • drthipah
    Options
    The ladies at my office do the same thing, and what kills me is that they all PAID to have weight watchers come in and help them all lose weight. Ice cream socials, muffins, cakes, brownies, lemon bars..they are their own worst enemy! What I find funny is that I've been using this program straight for almost 4 weeks and lost 7 pounds, and they've been doing it for months and have lost maybe..5 pounds. Shame on those ladies for not being concious of your goals. P.S You look amazing, and always carry healthy snacks on you so you don't get put in that situation. You can't eat crap if you're full on good stuff!
  • lolobi1
    Options
    i have an office full of 'FEEDERS' and work with 98% guys! They find any excuse to bring donuts, cakes and crispy kremes (I'm partial to a glazed ring Kreme...hmmm) Anyway ...I just say NAH and ramble on about calories, calories calories and Fat content. Now they always bring 'lite' or low fat options in for me the DIVA!! I Win...lol'