Help! I eat when I'm bored.

Options
I realized over the weekend that I eat when I’m bored. During the week, when I am at work and school, I eat better than I do on the weekends. It makes perfect sense: during the week, I am too busy to snack between meals, and at home on the weekend, I am surrounded by food in the kitchen and it seems as though nothing I do at home can distract me away from it.

So, the point of this post: what do all you MFP-ers recommend to take my mind off of non-stop eating when I am at home? How can I overcome eating out of boredom?

Replies

• LisaGod85
    LisaGod85 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem.

My only solution has been not having any type of junk in the area and available for consumption. Keep nuts on hand. Etc.

I'd be interested to know other opinions as well.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I try not to get bored
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I think EVERYONE eats when they are bored! I usually just look at a picture of someone that I wanna look like, and it totally changes my mind frame! Or just drink some water!
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Get outdoors in the fresh air. Walk, ride a bike, some sort of exercise. Then if you do eat at least you will have burned off some extra calories.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Drink a glass of water. Sometimes that fills me up so much that the idea of food hurts my stomach.
  • Tracepa98
    Options
    Maybe try to find some DIY projects around the house or some cleaning etc. That should keep you occupied. Maybe do a workout, go for a walk, etc.

Like someone else mentioned, dont have any bad choice foods around. That way when you do go for the kitchen, you are forced to eat within your limits.
  • JenniferMini
    Options
    ask your self if your truely hungry, say your goal weight out loud to yourself, remind yourself that your strong and can do this!

or snack on something healthy, frozen grapes are awesome because theyre tastey and it takes a while to eat one!

or keep busy! : paint your nails, clean your sock drawer, vaccume your car, go for a walk, play an instrument, angry birds!
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Chew some gum or carrot sticks and try to find something to occupy your down time :)
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Stay busy. Force yourself to fill your weekend with activity. Totally clean every crevice of your house, go rock climbing, buy a bike, walk around the mall for a few hours, find a hobby. If all you do is sit in front of the TV all weekend then of course you're going to want to eat constantly. You have to stay busy.
  • cldaugherty
    cldaugherty Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I chew ALOT of gum. I try to stay engaged in something. I too tend to be a weekend food-a-holic. If I keep my hands busy, it helps.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    School cannot be the only thing you have going on in your life? Get out, go for a walk, earn those exercise calories! Boredom should not be an option, squeeze in some exercise!
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    - Keep unhealthy snacks outside the house
    - Study at the library, rather than at home, on a regular basis. This not only get you out of the house, but up to date on your classes.
    -Clean!
    -Just stay active. Don't fall victim to your TV.
  • fletchleg
    fletchleg Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I always have a bottle of water next to me...I'm more likely to reach for that then go snack. But I am terrible for eating when I'm bored. especially after dinner.
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    get up and move
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I use to do that and now when i am bored i drink water. I put in crystal light or mio and drink. I bought a 24 oz tumbler and drink 2 of those. If i am still bored i will go for a wal o do housework or do whatever i need todo to getmy mind of of it. I am truly hungry thani will eat something healthy and and i quit buying junk food so i am only tempted with healthy things
  • OutForBrains
    Options
    I always keep water with me! When I'm bored, it helps just to go through the motions of eating - so just keep your mouth busy. I find that drinking water through a straw does the trick. Drinking from a cup requires some concentration (for me, at least, haha!), but with a straw, it's as mindless as when you're continually reaching into a bag of your favorite snacks. Plus, water helps curb your appetite, and is just all around good for you. Ice water is the best, I think, and is what I drink the most of. If you're not a fan of water, gum might help.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Exercise can curb your hunger, stop boredom and burn calories. Work out for 30 minutes when you want to go look in the fridge.
  • D3vAnge1
    D3vAnge1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Have any hobbies that keep your hands busy? I knit & sew, so the last thing I want to do is get grease, cheese, crumbs, spills, etc on a project in the making.
    Don't have a hobby, find one. Gardening may work too...much more active than my hobbies and would make eating even less appealing (well, for me anyhow: bugs, worms, dirt...need I continue?)
    Another option is to use your weekends to utilize your local parks & recreation venues...Something I've been taking advantage of more recently since it's cooling down a tad. The plus side is that the parks are usually free and the activities range from free to very moderately priced.
  • Eafears
    Eafears Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to overcome this. Some days are good and some days are not so good. I'm a mom and Goldfish crackers are my vice. lol. Anyway I have been trying the following. Water first. If that doesn't work I go do push ups or sit ups or cleaning. But the best distraction I have found is getting outside. Go for a walk around the block, pick up sticks in the yard etc.. Just deciding to do something else seems to help.
    I also jump on MFP and look at the success stories that is a great motivater and keeps me away from the bad snacks. Good Luck!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I realized over the weekend that I eat when I’m bored. During the week, when I am at work and school, I eat better than I do on the weekends. It makes perfect sense: during the week, I am too busy to snack between meals, and at home on the weekend, I am surrounded by food in the kitchen and it seems as though nothing I do at home can distract me away from it.

So, the point of this post: what do all you MFP-ers recommend to take my mind off of non-stop eating when I am at home? How can I overcome eating out of boredom?
    I am susceptable to doing that as well.
    Perhaps also because i have children and am preparing snacks for them...just around food handling a lot.
    I find it very helpful to have the 5 small meals....so I can WAIT until the next meal time, and eat something that fits within my diet.
    Rather than unplanned snacking....which really adds up, btw!
    If you do end up snacking, try to log it....that can also help cure you.
    Another helpful thing is to plan some light exercise, like a walk or bike ride.
    That way you don't eat the calories, PLUS you actually burn some.

Let us know how things go in the near future!