Losing BF in your late 30's.......

Options
I'm turning 39 in a couple weeks and trying to get my bodyfat down without losing too much lean weight (muscle). Turns out its wayhrder than it used to be. I dont care how much I weigh as much as how much bodyfat I am carrying. Anybody else doing something similar?

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and lost about 25 lbs. over the last few months. If you want to keep your lean weight, you are going to have to exercise for sure. I just did cardio (treadmill and fast walking) and started playing golf again.
    Seems to have worked for me. I feel tons better than just a few months ago.
  • Doddg1973
    Options
    On the 6th I went to have my BF measured hydrostatically and also had a metabolic rate test done at Fitness Wave and it gave me a better idea of how many calories to eat for me. I adjusted my ratios here accordingly and it is coming off slowly but it takes a whole lot longer than it used to. I have not been going to the gym just doing very light cardio and if I miss a couple hundred calories my weight drops but I don't want to lose muscle.... This site put my calories at 1350 a day which was killing my metabolism and eating alot of muscle away. I lost 14lbs in two and a half weeks. After having my metabolism tested I adjusted to 2600 calories a day (what I actually burn) and feel alot better but if I come in at 2200 calories I drop too fast... When your avoiding junk its hard to eat the volume of good food you need to get all your calories for the day...
  • AverageAngel
    AverageAngel Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Try a different approach. When we hit 30's your body needs healthy fats to function, not carbs. Consider eliminating anything white, wheat, 'whole grain' from your food. Notice I don't say diet. Don't say that word. It leaves a bad taste. :laugh:
    Look into quinoa as a rice replacement.- it cooks similar, is VERY versatile, and you have added protein(fuel)... When you eat plant based fat - avocado- walnuts-almonds, almond butter (peanuts are a legume, not a nut) coconut oil etc... you are giving your muscle fuel to burn. not to store. Mind you , stay in a good calorie range, but throw the*good* fat count to the wind. Just watch the fat you get from meat- except fish.... Here is what broke my plateau:
    Let's say you want to weigh 175 pounds. stick to 1,750 calories.
    Break those calories down into protein, fat, and vegetables, fruit is high in sugar, so keep it to the early part of your day, or as a dessert.
    Cardio , cardio , cardio.. look up target, and max heart rate calculators. find yours. Get to max HR for 10 min a day 2-3 times a week, and target HR for 30+ min 3-4 times a week. If you ain't sweatin' you are doing it wrong. :bigsmile:
    And the dreaded weights. Just a little body weight resistance is all you need . Read that *skip the $ gym* You gotta keep the muscle that you have working for you. It's you furnace. You have to stoke it. By keeping or adding a little muscle to the large muscle groups : legs, butt, core, you are protecting your bones, and reigniting the fire.
    I know it sounds odd to add fat when you are trying to lose body fat.. but I was stuck at 185 for a year. no lie... Got rid of wheat, changes some stuff up, and voila!!! I really hope I helped! Good Luck! add me if you like!
  • Doddg1973
    Options
    I appreciate the advice. I used to bodybuild and carry a significant amount of muscle compared to the average guy. That is where the calorie issue came into play, using a general guideline for how many calories to eat to lose weight does not apply to everyone. So I went and had a Metabolic Rate Test performed where they hook you up to a machine and it measure your respiration etc and tells you very specifically how many calories your body burns at rest and using that you can calculate in extra for lifestyle etc to create the deficit either by diet alone, cardio, exercise etc. I was using the general guideline befare having the test done and losing muscle because I was not getting anough calories. You can track how much muscle or fat your actually losing by keeping track of your bodyfat. The first three weeks before I got my individual Metabolic test done I followed a guideline that was recommended by this site but kept my carbs around 100-125 grams a day and got the rest of my calories from protein and fats. This site only wanted me to eat only 1350 calories a day... In 2 1/2-3 weeks I lost 13 pounds, way too much and the loss was 50% bodyfat and 50% muscle which is really bad. When I had my Metabolic Rate Test done finally on the 6th I found out that I needed 2400-2700 calories before ever doing any excercise or anything just to maintain my weight. It was recommended to eat this minimum and create the calorie deficit from excercise to shed the bodyfat and retain as much muscle as possible, trying to only lose 2lbs a week. I set my ratio's at 45% protein, 40% carbs and 15% fats and have been doind this the last couple days and so far the results seem to be better. I would recommend everyone get a Metabolic Rate Test performed if you can find a location to get one done. I drove and hour and a half to have one done and had to flex my work schedule to do it. But I don't like guessing and messing myself up trying to figure out how much to eat etc. The bodyfat is hard enough to get rid of nowadays, with the right amount of food you should not lose tons of good lean muscle getting rid of the bodyfat. I am trying Xenadrine ULTRA along with this diet to see it if helps. Anyone else trying any diet pills along with their diet and excercise and if so how is it working for you?
  • AverageAngel
    AverageAngel Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Wow. that is crazy!! Such good info though!! I actually had good luck with oxyelite pro. You can get it at GNC , or much less $ at Supplement warehouse.com. They are a small , legit company . been using him for about 10 years... I found the effects very similar to phentermine, which of course is RX only. No major ups/downs, and no jittery yuck stuff... Just be sure to cycle 3 months on, 3 months off or else it doesn't really do anything. Good luck to you! ... If you would P.m. me the $ of your metabolic rate testing, I am very interested, as I am extremely naturally muscular as well. ...
  • Doddg1973
    Options
    Did you get the link in the message I sent you? If you can manage to get the test done it sure makes things easier. I am down another pound this morning. I guess it is coming along alright, just have to be patient...