Maintenance is the hardest thing!!

Options
Now that I fit clothes well, and feel good I want to eat, eat, eat! what's up with that?? Encouragment needed.

Replies

• shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I have the hardest time maintaining. I just hit my goal weight again and dont know what to do.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I can relate, as it is hard to maintain and not fall into the same old trap.

My advice - keep logging the food, keep doing the exercises. For me I've had to mix up the exercise to keep it not so much a chore.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Yeah, maintenance is a whole other animal indeed. I'm still logging and tracking my exercise. No more going backwards for this gal, lol.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    If you're at maintenance you should have some extra calories to enjoy now. And if you want more you just have to keep up with your exercise.

I've been at maintenance for almost 6 months now. You still have to work on it. Never give up, never go back.
  • aponcedeleon
    aponcedeleon Posts: 3 Member
    Options

My advice - keep logging the food, keep doing the exercises. For me I've had to mix up the exercise to keep it not so much a chore.

I fully agree with this. I discovered that logging the food is a huge part of the motivation. Continue to log no matter what!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Maintaining hasn't been too difficult for me - likely because I've completely changed my mindset. I still log all of my food, still exercise, and still look for ways to reduce calories while still feeling full. The only thing that's changed is that my daily calorie goal has increased from 'losing' to 'maintaining'.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    As I am approaching the last few pounds I've been scared to death of the maintaining bit. So I talked to a fitness page on fb who I also follow her blog as well. She has shared some really great advice you can also read it if you'd like.

This is for those of us who get almost to the finish line and purposely start to sabotage ourselves ----> http://christinasfitness.com/fitness/6-tips-to-avoid-weight-loss-sabotage/

This is a few secrets on maintaining
    > http://christinasfitness.com/weight/the-secrets-to-maintaining-your-weight-after-dieting/
  • Ms_Steel
    Options
    I look forward to this day.
  • melindadunston
    Options
    Loosing weight is hard
    Maintaining is hard
    Being fat is hard.......
    Pick your hard!

I still have about 10-15lbs to go but I have just realized that once I get there I won't be able to just forget MFP. It's a way of life to be healthy. You can't just lose than start to over eat all over again.

It all pretty much sucks...lol But I would rather be healthy and look half ways decent:)
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    It is very hard! I think we feel comfortable with our weight and think its okay sometimes to eat more than we should. Ive been bouncing from 5-10lbs and I just keep a mental note to stay within my means. Reminding myself over and over again how far I've come helps me. Good luck on maintenance :flowerforyou:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I love being able to eat loads! But it was weird to start with!! Like someone else has said, keep logging and keep up to your exercise routine!
  • floshideaway
    floshideaway Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Just that.
    I have maintained (give or take 5) since May of this year. Logging in faithfully is what is preventing me from going overboard. I eat very well, lots of goodies are in my diet. I love cheese, wine and chocolate and all 3 have been part of my new lifestyle. There is not a day that I feel deprived of anything because I have not taken anything away that I really enjoy. That is the key to success, something you can live with for the rest of your life. Moderation is important and be true to yourself when you indulge.
  • sissie2955
    Options
    Discipline is remembering what you want and what you achieved. You will have days like that. A good way to teach yourself discipline is never let yourself go more than 5lbs above your goal. If you do then you immediately go back into your "gotta loose weight mode" whatever that was for you. Doing this over and over will help you determine what it takes to maintain for you and still have yummies.

I personally have struggled and still do with the 'EAT EVERYTHING MODE". When I go on maintenance mode. And I can easily gain 5lbs in a week. Been there done that.

You can do this, just like you had a routine to loose you come up with your routine to maintain
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    It IS hard. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather be struggling at maintenance than struggling at weight loss -- but it didn't magically become easy once I reached my (for now) goal weight. For some reason, the process of losing weight was so much more rewarding and motivating to me than the process of maintaining.
  • moonshadows72
    moonshadows72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    ive found that, for myself especialy, you can lose weight by reducing what you eat and eating smarter... however thats a diet and not a lifestyle change. I had to find new ways to stay active and to ALWAYS push myself. theres no magical number on the scale that will tell me "ok you did great! now you can stop running, stop workin out at gym, and your now able to be lazy." My active lifestyle is what will provide me all the maintinance i need for the rest of my life. its the "Diet" that helps me correct my past and make up for lost time. If your having a hard time with maintaining, my best advice is to up your calorie burn regularly! find ways to be more active. Then you can eat more. Then you can even splurge (in moderation) every now and then!
  • emmamiso5
    Options
    Bump for when I get to be in maintenance mode
  • TIDDYBEAR
    TIDDYBEAR Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I can't WAIT to get to maintenance!! I WANT to have that problem! lol
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    ive been maintaining for about 1 1/2 years. i still log everything. some days are better than others, but if you dont, you could slip back. i give myself 5 pounds leeway. TOM, water weight, etc. once i hit those 5 pounds i get really serious and focus really hard on what got me back up those 5 pounds, and remember i dont want on that path again, so i get back because its a huge reality check. you can do this. lots of people have/are. im living proof. great luck.
  • momtobe06
    momtobe06 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    are you giving yourself a splurge day so you don't feel deprived? I figure so long as 90% of the time your eating ok.. the rest is fine. You were training pretty hard for that triathlon.. it's not unusual to be extra hungry after something like that.
  • o2bADyer
    Options
    It's a way of life...change of mindset. Willpower is still required. Hang in there!