Coworker Rant! I've GOT to vent.

Options
melsmith612
melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
So, I've just got to vent today. I have this one coworker who I swear must eat out every single night of the week. Every day she comes in with leftover restaurant food to reheat in our work kitchen. I wouldn't mind so much but my office is RIGHT next to the kitchen and every day I have to smell these awful high fat, high sodium, high calorie foods that I wouldn't encounter otherwise.

Today it smells like KFC fried chicken. And honestly a lot of days it smells like some kind of battered and fried chicken or pizza. The smells are making me kind of mental both because I am trying not to eat those foods and because I really WANT to eat those foods. :grumble:

Anyone else have a coworker like this that stinks up the work kitchen in some way? Any suggestions for distracting myself from the smells? I've literally been salivating for 20 minutes, I feel like my dog waiting for a Snausage! :laugh:

Replies

• gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Not currently dealing with the same situation, but yesterday was kind of the oppoisite - I'm originally from CA but currently live in the South (GA) - yesterday some male colleagues of mine got to talking in detail about their alligator hunting trip over the weekend. I got so nauseated!! At least my appetite disappeared, :laugh: But, yeah, some of the guys like to get McD's and eat it in the lunch room. :grumble:
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    That sucks. I am so happy that my office is completely on the other side of the lunch room. Even if I weren't hungry the smells can sometimes get to me...NO advice.. just sympathy kiddo!
  • ahartery9891
    ahartery9891 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    LOL I have the same problem! I work in IT - so I am constantly surrounded by men who eat like crap. My coworker brings in cans and cans of pop to drink (more often BEFORE lunch), a microwave dinner for lunch and a big bag of chips to naw on... all afternoon... and not quietly. As well, the group I work with constantly go out for lunch. For the last little while I was going, ordering salads and trying to eat healthy, and now I'm limiting myself to going out with them once a month. The amount of money they are wasting on junk food is unreal!
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    just quit
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    LOL, I have a coworker who is ALWAYS eating something like that - pizza, hoagies, wings...
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I saw this stuff at CVS that you put into your nose before going into a stinky situation :blushing:
  • jeddy3mcc
    jeddy3mcc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't mind those things. It is when ppl heat up their fish and other seafood that just stinks up the kitchen for like 3 days that pisses me off!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH
  • kattbyrd67
    kattbyrd67 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Dab a little bit of tea tree oil underneath (NOT IN!) your nostrils. That should be all you'll smell for a bit....
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm now waiting for the suggestions of how people who bring in "unhealthy food" to work should be forced to heat it up and eat it far away from the rest of the employees. Should they be asked to go outside like smokers are? Segregate them into a small area of the cafeteria and surround them with air purifiers?

"ZOMG -- someone is eating a Big Mac and fries! This is UNACCEPTABLE IN THE WORKPLACE!!!!!"

*sigh*

Sorry... just had to vent.
  • melsmith612
    Options
    just quit

I can't quit now, I'm almost done paying off my car loan! :tongue:
  • CamilliaR
    Options
    YESSSSS, I totally understand what you are going through, by no means am I jealous, but I have this friend she loves chipotle eats it every other day- drives me mad, i love the smell. yum but I can't these last 10 LBS are the hardest for me to lose to reach my goal and it seems like whatever I do , I can't lose them ughhh. SUX but hang in there your doing an awesome job!
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Not really... But someone left a bag of cheetos in the breakroom for about 1 month now. I've tried to ignore it sitting there. Until yesterday. I finally threw them out the door and into the warehouse.. Where they landed not sure!
    I'm stinking up the fridge today with my egg sandwich that I packed for lunch.... Eeeeeggs...

:ohwell:
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    This happens to me on a daily basis, husband and his buddies are always ordering Chinese,KFC,pizza about every other night. It's almost impossible to resist. I always think of that story where the workers at a restaurant were spitting in all the food, or that kid at burger kind who was standing in the lettuce with his dirty bathroom shoes. I swear, it helps! I get so grossed out!
  • melsmith612
    Options
    Dab a little bit of tea tree oil underneath (NOT IN!) your nostrils. That should be all you'll smell for a bit....

Ironically I have some that I got as a free gift with purchase that I said, "Well, I might need it someday"
  • alyja09
    alyja09 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My coworker sits in the cube next to me and eats lunch at his desk everyday. He has pizza delivered at least once a week, gets chinese food, cheesesteaks, and everything delicious smelling. It kills me. And he even leaves his empty pizza box in his trash can so I can smell pizza all day long.

But at the same time... I can hear him eat it. Which is a disgusting, finger sucking, lip smacking mess. So I lose my appetite at the same time. He literally SOUNDS like a pig while he eats lol. Bleh.
  • kddruckenmiller
    kddruckenmiller Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't have a coworker like that but I currently work IN a restaurant so I'm surrounded by the smells and the food the entire time. I feel your pain, girl. Good luck. :)
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have this problem but with chinese food. I suggest if you're ever tempted, put it into your food diary and see how much it would set you back. i do this and it's never been worth it!
  • supergr33n
    supergr33n Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Any chance you can switch offices? Otherwise, you might try a can of Lysol. :)
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    My coworkers do it all the time. Gettin' Mexican food and stuff. Resist the urge. :sad:
  • melsmith612
    Options
    I'm now waiting for the suggestions of how people who bring in "unhealthy food" to work should be forced to heat it up and eat it far away from the rest of the employees. Should they be asked to go outside like smokers are? Segregate them into a small area of the cafeteria and surround them with air purifiers?

"ZOMG -- someone is eating a Big Mac and fries! This is UNACCEPTABLE IN THE WORKPLACE!!!!!"

*sigh*

Sorry... just had to vent.

It'd just be nice if our kitchen either wasn't right next to my office (I moved here when I got a promotion last year) or if the kitchen had like an exhaust fan or something to keep the smells from lingering - no need for sarcasm.