Coworker Rant! I've GOT to vent.

Options

Replies

• Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Stick some tinfoil in the microwave next time you see that particular co-worker about to microwave their food... Microwave explodes co-worker gets blamed and hopefully they dont replace the microwave
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Throw a metal fork in the microwave when no one is looking and walk away. Problem solved.
  • Kitiara47
    Options
    The smells don't bother me too much anymore. My biggest problem I have is I walk through our student center to get out of the heat when walking to class and am instantly bombarded by the delicious, enticing smells of the sub shop, chinese, pizza, tacos, McDonalds, and Chick fil a! Instead of thinking "OMG I wish I didn't pack a salad today and had this instead!" I let myself take in the wonderful smells, eat my lunch or walk through, depending on the time of day, and go on. My stomach does growl and long for the food, but I don't feel like I absolutely-must-have-it-or-I'm-going-to-die anymore. I still buy my lunch from there, but usually only once a week or two, depending on what time I got up that morning :laugh:
    Long story short, I guess I just trained myself to put it at the back of my mind.... :noway:
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My coworker sits in the cube next to me and eats lunch at his desk everyday. He has pizza delivered at least once a week, gets chinese food, cheesesteaks, and everything delicious smelling. It kills me. And he even leaves his empty pizza box in his trash can so I can smell pizza all day long.

But at the same time... I can hear him eat it. Which is a disgusting, finger sucking, lip smacking mess. So I lose my appetite at the same time. He literally SOUNDS like a pig while he eats lol. Bleh.

I think you work at my company! The smells are hard to deal with, but the sound is what really irritates me. He brings in porcelain bowls and silverware and is constantly clanging them around. And he chews with his mouth open. Loudly. The only word I can describe it as is "snarfing." I gotta say, it's easier to ignore the good smells when I'm disgusted with all the sounds. ;)
  • PJmetts
    PJmetts Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I don't mind those things. It is when ppl heat up their fish and other seafood that just stinks up the kitchen for like 3 days that pisses me off!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH

^^^^
    THIS! I am allergic to seafood and boy does that smell EVER get me mad!
  • eleqtriq
    eleqtriq Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The way I've dealt with it in the past is to simply eat something when this happens. Something similar. By that I mean if smelling fried chicken get something a bit salty, etc.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    wickless candels they can cover just about any smell.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    -shut your door?
    -open a window?
    -light a candle... there are some "flameless" candles too that you can plug in
    -leave and go for a short walk in the fresh air for a few minutes
    -have your own healthy snack so that's what you're tasting/smelling
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good way to practice self-control to me
  • meganmorsey
    Options
    I have this problem but with chinese food. I suggest if you're ever tempted, put it into your food diary and see how much it would set you back. i do this and it's never been worth it!

This is great advice! I do this any time I'm considering going out to get something for lunch or dinner, or eating something a coworker brought. Seeing the calories in my log almost always makes me choose to eat something healthier!
  • AuntThelma
    AuntThelma Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I find a bit of smug self-satifaction helps. I just imagine how my healthy eating is so much superior to their crappy, fatty habits. I think to myself, how can they do that to their bodies? Yuck, I would feel so lethargic and bloated.....

Make sure you are eating properly and aren't hungry when fat-friend makes her lunch. And don't be afraid to pat yourself on the back for being the better - and far more healthy - person.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I have a co-worker that eats a whole pizza and then complains the next day how fat she is....blast.
  • jenniferrow
    Options
    So, my question is--why are you depriving yourself of foods that you like to eat? It only makes you want it more. So, I see--have a hamburger from McD's every once in awhile, or a piece of chicken from KFC. Your craving will be satisfied and you won't be jealous of what your co-worker is eating :)

Just saying!!!!:devil:

Agreed! Mamakjknows what she's talking about!!
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    So, my question is--why are you depriving yourself of foods that you like to eat? It only makes you want it more. So, I see--have a hamburger from McD's every once in awhile, or a piece of chicken from KFC. Your craving will be satisfied and you won't be jealous of what your co-worker is eating :)

Just saying!!!!:devil:

I actually don't deprive myself - I tried like the devil to find candy corn oreos in the super market last night but no luck. I just don't want to eat that way every day and I've done that before so the temptation to go to a drive-thru is that much worse when you can smell it coming from somewhere else.

I don't even LIKE KFC or fried chicken, it just smells really good. lol
  • melsmith612
    Options
    I'm now waiting for the suggestions of how people who bring in "unhealthy food" to work should be forced to heat it up and eat it far away from the rest of the employees. Should they be asked to go outside like smokers are? Segregate them into a small area of the cafeteria and surround them with air purifiers?

"ZOMG -- someone is eating a Big Mac and fries! This is UNACCEPTABLE IN THE WORKPLACE!!!!!"

*sigh*

Sorry... just had to vent.

It'd just be nice if our kitchen either wasn't right next to my office (I moved here when I got a promotion last year) or if the kitchen had like an exhaust fan or something to keep the smells from lingering - no need for sarcasm.

It's not sarcasm -- believe me, if I were being sarcastic you'd know it.

The point I'm trying to make is that you can't always control your environment... you can only control yourself. People post rants like this QUITE often, and use it as an excuse as to why they "caved in" and stopped for fast food on the way home from work, or fell off the wagon because someone put temptation of some sort in their path. Not saying that you would, mind you -- but others are looking for excuses.

I understand where you're coming from -- I have a coworker who likes to eat egg sandwiches covered in onions and Limburger cheese EVERY DAY. The tea tree oil? It will become your best friend....

ahahahahahaha I can't stop laughing... that DOES sound awful, I'd quit before I let myself smell eggs every day. The smell of eggs literally makes me sick. :-p
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Ya I ranted recently about the endless potlucks we have here. For every.single."event" (Like hey! It's Tuesday let's have a potluck!") Ugh!
  • melsmith612
    Options
    I find a bit of smug self-satifaction helps. I just imagine how my healthy eating is so much superior to their crappy, fatty habits. I think to myself, how can they do that to their bodies? Yuck, I would feel so lethargic and bloated.....

Make sure you are eating properly and aren't hungry when fat-friend makes her lunch. And don't be afraid to pat yourself on the back for being the better - and far more healthy - person.

Sadly, the woman who is eating all this garbage food every day is about the same size I am if not a little smaller so it's hard to be smug except that I've already lost a ton of weight this year so I can at least take pride in that.
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    We have a restaurant in the building and every morning around 11 they fire up the deep fryer and that's all I can smell! So irritating! At least I know that the restaurant is too expensive for me to eat at! LOL
    Funny thing is it's a health food restaurant! They must be frying the tempura maybe?
  • melsmith612
    Options
    We have a restaurant in the building and every morning around 11 they fire up the deep fryer and that's all I can smell! So irritating! At least I know that the restaurant is too expensive for me to eat at! LOL
    Funny thing is it's a health food restaurant! They must be frying the tempura maybe?

They're frying chicken strips for 1200 calorie "salads" like every other eatery that wants to claim they have a healthy menu. I'm honestly so sick of restaurants putting everything but the kitchen sink on their salads and then pretending they're healthy. :grumble:
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I tried the logging and didn't like the calories, so then I went to eating a smaller portion of the item and that helped for a little while. Then I started looking for healthy recipes of those things I craved. I don't pack things like salads for lunch and feel deprived, I fix things I would normally eat, but in either a lot smaller portions or healthier recipes.

This is a life style change for me. Since I don't eat much fast food, when I do feel like indulging, the grease makes me sick and the taste is dissapointing.