Before changing dietary and exercise habits, do this.

Options
Each day, there is a lot of great advice given here by many knowledgeable people. Nearly all of it, however, is advice on how to correct an aspect to ones program that has been misapplied or absent.

When one goes to buy a house, what should they do? Get the house appraised, of course, so you know exactly how much it's worth. Thus, before assigning weight loss goals, cutting caloric intake and upping exercise, the very first thing people should do is establish what their true TDEE, or maintenance range, actually is. One can accomplish this by simply logging foods eaten and typical exercise done for a few weeks to see how much than can eat to maintain present weight. So many members here, who rush into losing weight, do not know this number yet they naively set goals and attempt to create a game plan without that key piece of information. By not knowing this number, you are making the process of fat loss far more difficult and complicated than it has to be which is also a sure fire way to increase anxiety levels. Now, if you're a masochist who enjoys seeing yourself swimming in a pool of despair and anguish, by all means go for it.

The magical 1200 net - and please recognize it's net calories and not gross calories eaten - is not tailored to the individual's unique variables such as Resting Metabolic Rate or activity level. This is like handing someone a one size fits all pair of pants expecting it to be the perfect fit for everyone.

So please, before drastically cutting calories and hopping on that elliptical to burn 600 calories, figure out what your actual TDEE is. The RMR and TDEE equations out there can be reasonably accurate if ones metabolic and hormonal health as well as appetite hasn't been adjusted due to various insults such as disease, medicine use or chronically assuming a large deficit well below maintenance for lengthy periods of time. Be patient by finding this number and you'll more accurately be able to apply the right deficit for your goals. Lastly, educate yourself on how nutrition and exercise influence your potential to reach those goals by perusing articles from experts such as Lyle McDonald, Alan Aragon, and Tom Venuto (there are others but these three are fantastic sources of information) as well as peer-reviewed studies available, free, at clinical online journals.

Reaching your goals to become stronger, healthier and able to lead a more independent quality of life is worth taking the time to do it right.

Replies

• heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Bump because it's important and true :-D
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I always wondered why 1200 calories seemed to be the end-all be-all for everyone. You're right, it doesn't take into account a person's RMR and/or activity level. Everyone's different so it follows that their dietary habits and exercise routine would be as well.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • jabberwockgee
    jabberwockgee Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump!

Don't bump your own thread, if it's good other people will respond or bump it themselves.
  • checof
    checof Posts: 114
    Options
    if you're a masochist who enjoys seeing yourself swimming in a pool of despair and anguish, by all means go for it.

The magical 1200 net - and please recognize it's net calories and not gross calories eaten - is not tailored to the individual's unique variables such as Resting Metabolic Rate or activity level. This is like handing someone a one size fits all pair of pants expecting it to be the perfect fit for everyone.

So please, before drastically cutting calories and hopping on that elliptical to burn 600 calories, figure out what your actual TDEE is.

Gah, I know these paragraphs apply to a bunch of users on here, but they resonate deeply with me because that is exactly what I've been doing. Right down to the burning loads of calories on the elliptical and then wallowing in a pool of misery and despair -- beautiful metaphor, by the way. :D

What you're saying makes perfect sense on paper, but I've been finding it so hard to apply to my every day existence -- the instinct is to net the calories you're allotted by MFP and then work your butt off on the elliptical or whatever else, but in my case it's just not working as well I'd hoped; cue anguish, because I've been working so, so hard.:sad:

I realize I should have done my own math ages ago, and fear of numbers be damned. It takes reading threads like this one to help one develop insight. Reading these kinds of things is how I realized I needed to eat back my burned calories in the first place. It's baby steps, lol. Thanks for taking the time to write this! :flowerforyou:
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Never figured it out. I guess its oh someone lost weight with 1200 I can also. Its like people going the gym in makeup doing the elliptical for 20 minutes and walking right back out thinking they got a good workout.

Sometimes I wish MFP would have a separate section on the forums just for 1200 calorie diet users so I have try to give advice to people serious about losing weight.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Good post. I just want to jump in on where the 1200 cal number comes from- basically it comes from almost everyone starting MFP going through the same thought process- it asks you two very important questions but doesn't give much explanation of their importance or consequences-first it asks you what your activity level is without exercise, and most people choose sedentary. Then it asks you how fast you would like to lose weight, and most everyone chooses as fast as possible, which is 2lbs per week which correlates to a 1000 calorie deficit. So with the sedentary choice, MFP multiplies your BMR by 1.2, and the the 2lb/wk choice subtracts 1000 from that number leaving many users with something in the 900-1200 range, but because the program won't recommend anything less than 1200, it defaults to 1200 for a huge group of users, most people that choose those two settings.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Then MFP needs to do a better job explaining to people on how to choose there goals in the creating their profile process.
  • brendabelieve
    Options
    Thanks for this. I am new to MFP, day two! I have been on my weight loss journey since April 2012. Started with just diet changes, had some loss. Then finally realized that I wasn't eating ENOUGH or often enough! I was in starvation mode at 159 lbs! Took my brain awhile to get around that one. Lol. Then I also realized that whining and wallowing was not working and to get my @ss moving! The 1200 calories 'recommended' by MFP seemed like enough, and I would have to remember to eat, so shouldn't be difficult. I just finished reading and calculating the Fit2Fat info. I have to admit I was scared to consume 1588 calories! What if I gain back the 10 lbs I have managed to lose?! But after reading your post as well as the previous info on Fit2Fat, I have the confidence to give it a go!
    Thanks again! Sorry for the novel! Lol!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I am new to MFP, day two! I have been on my weight loss journey since April 2012. Started with just diet changes, had some loss. Then finally realized that I wasn't eating ENOUGH or often enough! I was in starvation mode at 159 lbs! Took my brain awhile to get around that one. Lol. Then I also realized that whining and wallowing was not working and to get my @ss moving! The 1200 calories 'recommended' by MFP seemed like enough, and I would have to remember to eat, so shouldn't be difficult. I just finished reading and calculating the Fit2Fat info. I have to admit I was scared to consume 1588 calories! What if I gain back the 10 lbs I have managed to lose?! But after reading your post as well as the previous info on Fit2Fat, I have the confidence to give it a go!
    Thanks again! Sorry for the novel! Lol!

If you're still in a deficit from your TDEE, there's no way you can gain back FAT. If the scale goes up initially when you increase your calories- don't stress about it too much. It's mostly water weight from extra food, and likely some extra water that comes from increased glycogen storage- it will go away on its own eventually. It's always a good idea to avoid the scale for a while after increasing your calories, as the initial weight can mess with your head!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Then MFP needs to do a better job explaining to people on how to choose there goals in the creating their profile process.

Well, almost a fair point, but it is a free service - we are getting A LOT from this free service. Also, the service is not offered by medical / nutritional experts so really, with so many differing theories around andt he increased risk of litigation with the increased level of detail, they are safer just giving us the basic and most readily accepted (by the medical prfession) advice.

It is up to us, as people with enquiring minds, to do our research and work out what is best for us as an individual and not just follow instructions blindly like sheep.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    bump
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    And this, is why you are one of my favorite posters!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I always wondered why 1200 calories seemed to be the end-all be-all for everyone. You're right, it doesn't take into account a person's RMR and/or activity level. Everyone's different so it follows that their dietary habits and exercise routine would be as well.

Science has determined that 1200 calories per day is the absolute minimum a person can consume without causing major deficiencies in nutrients. It does not take into account supplementation such as the VLCD used on the morbidly obese.

But that is where the 1200 calorie minimum comes from.
  • brenbrenm
    Options
    I just started on here, and it is telling me to use 1320 for my max calories. I'm looking to lose about 1/2 lb a week until I hit my goal loss of 13 lbs. This is WAY less than I've been eating, and I'm very hungry. Are you saying before I cut my calories that much, I should continue eating and exercising as I was before, logging all of it on here to determine how many calories I was eating and burning in order to maintain? I've actually been gaining....about a lb every 2 months....so I'm not sure how I would do that.
  • yarwy
    yarwy Posts: 43
    Options
    bump:smile:
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Excellent post.

Bumping for all to read.
  • mattsdad1961
    mattsdad1961 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Good post.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Bump! A lot of great perspective here folks!