Bruised, Battered and Starving!

Options
2»

Replies

• joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    If all the lifting is causing so much pain, why are you continuing to do it?

Walking is my main exercise, and bike riding. I have a few chronic injuries that limit what I can do, but I have figured out what works for me with out aggravating things.

Strangely enough, and maybe others have experience with this, but I have cut way, way, WAY down on processed sugars in my diet and my pain level has gone way down, too.

I haven't been here very long, but I've been doing a ton of reading, and just found the information about BMI and what a safe/expected weight loss should be. I just adjusted my weight loss goal from 2 pounds a week to one pound a week, and with the up in calories, I feel MUCH better. My husband was pointing out that I was grouchy, and now he says I'm not (any more than usual, any way!)

Are you tracking your exercise and eating your calories back?

Weight lifting is intended to hurt the next day or two or you are not breakiing down the muscle fibers. You have to give yourself 2 days to recover for each muscle group or you will not see improvements.

I do my upper body one day - rest a day then do my lower - rest 2 days - start again.

Other wise I a gree with you :)
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My first question is: Where are you doing your lifting, it it in a "generic" gym? You may want to see about finding a gym with a certified personal trainer (CPT). Most gyms have "trainers" that are more interested in signing you up for another month than ensuring you lift properly. It will probably be more expensive than what you're doing now, but you shouldn't get bruised and have swelling from lifting. Sore muscles sure, but nothing a couple of NSAIDS and a warm bath wouldn't fix.

A circuit or "metabolic resistance" type of training will get you stronger AND inprove your cardio because you're putting O2 demand over a lot of muscles simultaneously. And ignore the MFP calories, again a real "trainer" can help here. Good luck!
  • tuck1jl
    tuck1jl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm not a beacon of healthy food eating but I did notice you don't eat very many fresh veggies & fruits. The fruit cups are full of sugar, and many of the meals you have are full of sodium & very processed. I make it a habit of packing my lunch & including 2 fruits & 2 veggies as snacks. I also put in there low sodium string cheese and a hard boiled egg for protein. The fruits & veggies help maintain your hunger longer. Also with the process foods like the mac & cheese the carbs burn right up so you don't have anything to hold you over. Carbs turn to sugar which makes your blood sugar spike and then crash.

I agree with everyone about the bruising. Definately get it checked out. It could be associated with anemia or something more serious.

Good luck & take care:)
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I was having this problem a few weeks back and what worked for me was cutting back on wheat products. You don't need to cut out alll carbs but wheat has a tendency to make some of us incredibly hungry. It's worth a try! I saw a difference in my hunger the first day I did it!
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I can't see anyone else mentioning it, but you are tracking your sodium, and it's really too high! Try not using the dressings, that seems to be the bad guy here. Otherwise it's more fresh veggies, and a bit more fruit and possibl some nuts and seeds rather than protein bars.
    Good luck!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Exercise
    1. If it hurts. STOP NOW. Pain is NOT weakness leaving the body. Pain informs you that there is something WRONG. You should NOT be bruised. STOP IMMEDIATELY.

Diet
    1. You eat **** for food
    2. Low nutritional value, high calorie foods is most of your diet
    3. Low protein overall
    4. Very few food items

If you pick leaner meats and nutrient dense foods, you'll feel less hungry. Have protein account for 30% of your caloric intake.

The fact you are experiencing bruising and pain from exercising means you are definitely not getting your proper nutrition.
  • talikaveronica
    Options
    I have to agree with most of above...How much protein do you have in your diet? Hungry is one thing but starving is another...it really depends on your body, your training and your goals. I would try maybe adding a bit more protein and see how that goes. Bruised is also not good at all. There is something wrong there. Also, make sure you are stretching and massaging like crazy after a workout! Get a foam roller and use it lots. It helps with the soreness.
  • virjenmarie
    virjenmarie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi it sounds like to me you need to take a week off of any exercise an eat maintenance for a week as well. You need rest as well and even though you sit for hours at work that's not resting that is still working your body hence the word work. I suggest you do this to help your body recover and bounce back stronger. I know it will be hard because your afraid you wont lose weight but believe me you will. The best thing about this is you eat a maintenance and refuel your body so you wont be hungry. I do this every two months and the results are amazing but listen if you don't want to do this its okay but you will continue to suffer and the real harm can take place losing weight isn't a marathon its a lifetime journey. HTH Oh and you taking a week off can really help with hitting plateaus.
  • kholloman
    kholloman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I realized I had deleted protein when I added sodium on my diary. Got that fixed now.

I have just bought a bunch of fresh fruit yesterday and ditched the fruit cups. Pineapple, strawberries and blueberries. As for veggies, I don't know what to eat. I like corn, peas, green beans, cabbage and not much else. Not very snackable.

Sodium is most always high. I recently started tracking that and am trying to get that down.

I will look into the wheat thing :)

I have MFP set to lose 1lb a week. I can't imagine telling it to lose 2lbs a week. I'd be passed out somewhere.

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it. I'm not that great of a cook and I don't know much about eating healthy either. Bad combo! Think I might see a nutritionist at the gym and see if she can help me. I may need professional help all around since I am clearly not doing this right lol. As for the bruising, it looks awful and hurts but my doctor says I'm fine other than I'm fat...yea he's so great
  • lindabee77
    lindabee77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I'm tired of being a weakling for one. For two, I've been skinny before and looked sick. I don't want to be that way again and I'm hoping building muscle will prevent that. 3, I'm hoping this will help prevent boob loss (dead serious) as this happens when I lose weight. Yes it hurts, it's like I have strained everything but as long as I can move I think I'm ok. From what I understand, that part will get better as I get stronger.

Lifting weights will not prevent boob loss. Boobs are fat, not muscle. I lift 3 times per week and have gone from 38 C or D to 34B. Maybe try a push up bra?
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Good Lord you are starving yourself.

Based on what you've stated about yourself (and assuming that you're working out 3-5 x week):

1. Your RMR should be coming in around 1800 calories/day. RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) measures the number of calories your body requires to maintain itself at rest. These calories are expended on bodily functions such as breathing and heartbeat, as well as the maintenance of existing muscle tissue. It will vary with age and body composition, so I've used a rough calculation.

A human body doesn't require any energy to store fat, but it does for muscle. Abrupt reduction in calorie intake leads to muscle and fat realignment. Put it to you another way - the body has a remarkable capacity for sustaining itself under adverse conditions. When it doesn't have enough calories from intake, it will get the materials and energy it needs from whatever it can find, as well as becoming more efficient in those scarce resources. You might be losing weight for a while, but it will come from both muscle and fat. Then you will probably plateau, because there are limits to the body's efficiency. Push it further, and you will really start hurting yourself. You should never consume less than your RMR, unless you are doing so under medical supervision for a very limited time. It doesn't sound like this is your situation.

2. Your TDEE is around 2800 calories. Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) quantifies the number of calories you burn in a day. TDEE is critical in tailoring your nutrition plan to desired fitness goals. For weight loss, you need to be in caloric deficit to your TDEE, not your RMR. Optimally, eating 80-85% of your TDEE should provide sufficient caloric deficit and allow you to nourish your body properly.

3. Macro balance. Fat, Protein and Carbohydrates are what we call Macaronutrients, or Macros for short. Different schools of thought on how they should be balanced. Personally, I'm more in the higher protein and fat, lower carb camp because that works well for me. You should take a look at how your calories are distributed amongst them, and consider upping your protein consumption and lower the carbs. Protein and fats generally provide greater satiaty, so they won't leave you feeling starved during the day.

You should be aware that your weight will rebound somewhat when you increase your intake, because your body has become more efficient and is now burning fewer calories to sustain itself. The good news is that you can fix this. It will take time, and a bit of patience as your body readjusts to a state where no longer needs to catabolise your muscle tissue to sustain itself.

In any case, find a good trainer to work with, to help you set your goals, develop an exercise program that works for you, and can mentor you through this process. Its worth the investment. I know mine is worth his weight in gold.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Nope, so not supposed to be like this. We have some similar stats - I'm also 5'8", 38 and CW is 215, I sit at a desk for 9-10 hours a day and my goal is also about 160-150. I was set by MFP at the same amount of cals you are currently, and was not doing well at all. I finally followed the advice given by helloitsdan in his post "in place of a roadmap 2.0". I then upped my calories to 1691/day, knowing I could go as high as 1900 and still be below my TDEE each day. This puts me above my BMR and I don't want to curl up in a ball and cry or do bodily harm to someone. It freaked me out at first to up my calories, but I've continued to lose and feel so much better. Take a look at the thread and give it a try. I also eat a greek yogurt with some bran cereal in the morning, to help combat the hunger with the protein and fiber.

If you're this sore after lifting, and its more than just muscle aches, like joint pain and bruising it could be signs of other issues. A visit to the doctor and maybe a Physical Therapist could help, especially since you already have arthritis issues? Then, a few sessions with a trainer to check your form could be good, too.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Good Lord you are starving yourself.

Based on what you've stated about yourself (and assuming that you're working out 3-5 x week):

1. Your RMR should be coming in around 1800 calories/day.

2. Your TDEE is around 2800 calories.

Realized my calculations were off and I couldn't edit the post since it was more than an hour ago.

Your RMR is around 1600 and TDEE is around 2500.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    My question is, is it supposed to be like this? Am I supposed to be this hungry?

No, and no. Take a look at my food diary. I do get DOMS but I'm rarely hungry. I don't spend hours in the kitchen either. My breakfasts are usually take only about 5 minutes to prepare. If you take a look, you'll see that I repeat my favorite meals over and over.

1. Eat at least 85 grams of protein a day (aim for 150 or more), and try to get at least 30 grams at breakfast.

2. Eat at least 30 grams of fiber a day (try to stay under 50 grams to prevent gas and bloating).

3. Sleep 8 hours a night.

4. Think about switching out your desk chair for a swiss ball. I did this after a back injury, and feel so much better now.