When should I exercise?

I am a single parent so time is limited. I try to train for this half marathon that my sis and I are registering for but I have not done enough training for it. I don't own a jogging stroller so I jog with a regular stroller but that is even difficult because my darling toddler does not always want to stay in the stroller. I want to try to get him used to it. I also have planned on going running cuz my sis said she would babysit and all but then last night I did not get around to it. I am a little frustrated with myself cuz I was all pumped up to go for a run and got distracted and then it was dark. I try to get a jog in before dark. like when it is cooler and then sun is setting a little but hasn't set yet. I want to make this a regular practice. I need to DO IT!!!

Replies

• That's the STORY of my LIFE!! Mommy of 2 girls, 3 yrs and 10 months and the only way to ensure I get my fitness in is to make myself get up an hour (AT LEAST) earlier than the rest of the house and doing DVDs at home.....some days I don't and want to sleep.....but that is what's worked for me this time around!!

Good luck, juggling is hard enough for me with husband out of town alot, so I can't imagine on your own!! But you can do it- you just have to make time for you!!! (and even better when it's the least likely to be interrupted by kiddos)!!
  • aaronrlindemann
    aaronrlindemann Posts: 25 Member
    I have two kids so I can relate. You just need to make time. And as far as when goes, I'm not sure, but you just gave a laundry list of when and why you CAN'T run... if I were you, I'd make a list of when and why you CAN run. Even just for a great mental work out! It's not easy, but it has to become a priority to make it happen.

PS You can get a great calorie burn with a brisk walk pushing a stroller... I've been doing it all summer!!! :)
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    I am a single parent so time is limited. I try to train for this half marathon that my sis and I are registering for but I have not done enough training for it. I don't own a jogging stroller so I jog with a regular stroller but that is even difficult because my darling toddler does not always want to stay in the stroller. I want to try to get him used to it. I also have planned on going running cuz my sis said she would babysit and all but then last night I did not get around to it. I am a little frustrated with myself cuz I was all pumped up to go for a run and got distracted and then it was dark. I try to get a jog in before dark. like when it is cooler and then sun is setting a little but hasn't set yet. I want to make this a regular practice. I need to DO IT!!!

the obvious answer is "you should exercise whenever you are likely to do it repeatedly"

so baby is a toddler... toddlers can be trained to stay in the stroller... tie her up tight and go... start small... and then build up... associate the stroller with something pleasurable (like a story she likes or tv time or a small snack that she ONLY gets when she has stroller time)

run at night... most of my time spent outside is when it is dark... a good head lamp... works wonders... I LOVE night hiking to see stars :)

run before she gets up...
  • I think its best to set and a time and do it. Set an alarm if you must. The problem is, if you don't make time for it, then you wont have time for it.

What I love most about it is it will give you energy. I don't know how many times I am doing something else and want to put exercising off because I'm tired. But if I just get up and do it, then I get that much more energy. It's just making yourself do it.
  • I'm finding that too often if i don't get it done in the morning, it doesn't get done. However, its probably best to find a time that works for you and make that "your time". You may find yourself looking forward to it. I do. :flowerforyou:

Good Luck and congrats on your decision to run a half marathon!
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    I'm a working mother of two, and I'm training for a 5K. I tried to run in the evenings after work, but sometimes my husband wouldn't be home in time to watch the kids, and sometimes I'd get home from work late and find an excuse to "wait till tomorrow." What's working for me now is getting up an hour earlier in the morning, and going for my run while the sun is coming up. It's cooler, quieter, and there are fewer people (and dogs!) around. I admit that it can be very hard to get out of bed at 5:30, but once I'm out of bed and my shoes are laced up, it's not as hard to get out the door. I just have to keep telling myself that I'm already signed up for the race, and if I don't train, I'm likely to hurt myself.

It's great that you are signed up for a half marathon! That is just amazing to me!
  • I have two kids so I can relate. You just need to make time. And as far as when goes, I'm not sure, but you just gave a laundry list of when and why you CAN'T run... if I were you, I'd make a list of when and why you CAN run. Even just for a great mental work out! It's not easy, but it has to become a priority to make it happen.

PS You can get a great calorie burn with a brisk walk pushing a stroller... I've been doing it all summer!!! :)
    Thank you for this! when and why you CAN run.. after reading this i realized i have been making excuses for the wrong things!! i need to focus on when and how i can workout!! that was very motivational
  • ipock
    ipock Posts: 33 Member
    If you can get in the routine of doing it first thing in the morning, then that will probably yield the most success. As said by others above, the later you wait in the day, the easier it becomes to put off. Moreover, morning workouts always make me feel better throughout the day (I feel fitter, more energetic, more clear-headed, and I'm also happy that I don't have to do it late in the afternoon/evening after work). It's just a matter of getting out of bed when that alarm goes off. If you do, once you're out the door, you'll have a better day than if you didn't.
  • Thank you for this. I needed to just tell myself that I need to start forcing myself to get out of bed. I really just need to do it.. Like the Nike MOTO JUST DO IT!!!