Protein bar, how do you stomach them?!

Options
Ok, so I bought Pure Protein bars in Peanut butter flavor at the recommendation of a friend. I'm second guessing their opinion now. They taste horrible! Is there some tip to make them more paletable? I don't want to just throw them away. I'm to the point I'm thinking about cutting it up really really small and taking the pieces as you would a pill just so I don't have to taste it, but I still get the benefits. LOL Any suggestions? And yes, I've debated getting a protein powder, but I'm worried about getting a huge tub (Since I can't find a smaller sample size to try) and not liking it just like these bars.....

I'm trying to up my protein intake because my doctor said I should try a high protein diet. I'm having trouble fitting that much protein into my daily calories though. I recently upped my calorie intake to 1500 calories.

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I tried a million bars till i settled on the ones i like.

Larabars. Grab 1 bars.

True bars. Nugo bars. and Cogo Bars.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You grabbed the wrong brand! Those are like eating dirt! Try Cliff bars, Zone Perfect, or Go Lean.
  • annebubbles
    annebubbles Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Pure protein bars are AWFUL. I buy mine from: www(dot)BarriatricChoice(dot)com
    they will send you FREE samples before you buy & their stuff is so GOOD!!!
  • zeedo_odeez
    Options
    Get your sources of protein from food you like.
    You don't have to eat protein bars if you don't want to and you're actually better off having some proper food.

I only eat them because they're convenient and I actually like them.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I've never tried them but I love Clif Bars and Luna Bars (made by the same people) If you look a their website, you can buy mini ones of some of them so it's easier to try them out-I haven't tried one that I didn't like yet!
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Lara bars are delicious. But I make my own. That does involve purchasing the tub of protein though. ;)
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Clif bars are good.
  • Foodie711711
    Foodie711711 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I personally love quest protein bars. Many different flavors and a lot healthier than pure protein. You can either buy them seperately or a whole box of them. Or as someone else said, you can get protein from real food also. Eat more lean meats, nuts, beans etc
  • LindaJWan
    LindaJWan Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I drink my protein....Right now I am drinking strawberries, blueberries and a scoop of Vanilla flavored Whey Protein....it is super yummy...I take fresh strawberries and fresh blueberries and freeze about a cup in freezer bags and pull it out in the morning for a snack....If I have spinach on hand I throw that in too - honestly you can't taste it and I get some extra nutrients. I have a nutribullet which really breaks everything up....Oh and I add water to it as well to make it like a smoothie...

Good Luck!
  • LindaJWan
    LindaJWan Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I drink my protein....Right now I am drinking strawberries, blueberries and a scoop of Vanilla flavored Whey Protein....it is super yummy...I take fresh strawberries and fresh blueberries and freeze about a cup in freezer bags and pull it out in the morning for a snack....If I have spinach on hand I throw that in too - honestly you can't taste it and I get some extra nutrients. I have a nutribullet which really breaks everything up....Oh and I add water to it as well to make it like a smoothie...

Good Luck!

I use Body Fortress and it has 26 grams of protein per scoop...
  • Solisci
    Solisci Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    QUEST BARS ARE THE BEST. The strawberry cheesecake, or cinnamon roll... All natural and TONS of fiber, if you need fiber like me :)
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I eat Nature Valley Protein Chewy Bar - Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate. I love them but they are more of a candy bar with a little protein.
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    I love the Think Thin bars! Also if you like greek yogurt try that, it has 20g plus in some brands;)
  • sbbc09
    Options
    Get your sources of protein from food you like.
    You don't have to eat protein bars if you don't want to and you're actually better off having some proper food.

I like this. I personally don't really like the idea of eating things with ingredients I can't pronounce. Yesterday I easily topped 100g of protein without bars/supplements.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I just eat turkey jerky or nuts if I need an on-the-go protein boost. I do admit to liking a blueberry crisp cliff bar for breakfast sometimes.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    swallow it whole. I heard that's the best.

That said.......whey protein powder > protein bars
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I like Quest bars and Think Thin bars (not the chocolate ones though!)
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Clif Bars and Luna Bars are great. :smile:
  • MLgarcia3
    Options
    If you buy powder from GNC, most of the stores allow you to return and exchange something if you don't like it. I've done it a few times!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars are the best protein bars out there. :)

The Peanut Butter Supreme and PB&J are my top favorites. Lovvve them.