New....and Confused

Options
I just signed up on this site today and got my results. I'm never good at tracking anything...ever. I suppose I need help learning the best way to track calories and carbs and fat...I use to do weight watchers a few years ago and it worked really well, but now that my life is a little more hectic and I don't always have time to eat...and eat properly...I'm having difficulty grasping how to and how to stick with it.

Any success stories to help motivate and teach?

I'm losing my mind and patience with this weight loss or lack of weight loss process.

Replies

• Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you keep track of whatever it is that you eat and don't even worry right away about whether or not it's the right food or the right amount. Just keep track of whatever it is that you normally eat. Do that for a week and you have a benchmark for the current state of your eating habits. Then, move gradually down from there. Don't try to do too much.

I think what happens to some people is that MFP tells them they should be eating 1,500 calories a day and they don't even realize that their normal routine is 3,500 calories per day. That's too big a reduction all at once for some people. I recommend that you figure out where you are and reduce by 500 calories per day even if MFP says that's too many calories. It's a long haul, don't try and hurry it.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    1. weigh food until you can estimate by eye accurately - it is surprising how little can weigh so much (and vice versa with some food)
    2. Don't weigh (yourself) every day.
    3. Expect to lose rapidly for a week or so then slow down or even stick
    4 Plan meals and try to pre-record if you know you are going to be busy.
    5. Be honest with your food diary (what ( call "My Confessor"). It won't send the boys round if you over-indulge but it will record it - then you get to start over afresh on the next day.

I lost 10 kilos in the first 3 weeks (then bought new set of scales and "put on" 2 kilos) - now back to 10 kilos lost but stuck. BUT like Mr Micawber, I expect something to turn up ( or do |I mean 'down') any day now

Best wishes and welcome.

I have been mislaying weight for years but so far, this is working for me and so far none of it has found its way home again - and you never know, when I weigh in in the morning I might have started downwards again.
    Good luck
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I recommend you also drink water! And more water!
  • lighterlinds
    Options
    Hi, Savingfaith65! I am new here too, as of last night. I feel the way you do too, but instead of being busy with job & school, I am busy with 2 small kids & homeschooling them. :) I am seeking out advice & tips that regular users apply each day here to attain success at this new lifestyle. I know the basic answer to the question, more exercise, less food & healthy foods, but what I am seeking to gain here are like minded people who have encouraging advice & tips on just how they did it using MFP. :) Best of luck to you on this weight loss journey!
  • LailaB123
    LailaB123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you keep track of whatever it is that you eat and don't even worry right away about whether or not it's the right food or the right amount. Just keep track of whatever it is that you normally eat. Do that for a week and you have a benchmark for the current state of your eating habits. Then, move gradually down from there. Don't try to do too much.

I think what happens to some people is that MFP tells them they should be eating 1,500 calories a day and they don't even realize that their normal routine is 3,500 calories per day. That's too big a reduction all at once for some people. I recommend that you figure out where you are and reduce by 500 calories per day even if MFP says that's too many calories. It's a long haul, don't try and hurry it.

I've only been here 17 days, and this is the BEST advice I've read so far . . . thank you! It IS overwhelming to try to make life altering changes all at once. Best to know where you are today, and worry about getting to tomorrow once you know which way to go.
    Thank you, and welcome! And please feel free to add me - support is so very helpful!
  • SavingFaith65
    SavingFaith65 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks! When I'm at work I'm constantly running around I don't have time to drink anything. I try to drink a few bottles while I'm there. I work 12 hour shifts...and by the time I have down time to eat lunch/dinner it's 5/6, not the best situation when trying to lose weight. I really need to start packing my lunch though, I usually go for the hot case at work and that's full of fat and sodium. Guess I just need to motivate myself a little more, need that extra push... or a real big shove.
  • dragoney
    dragoney Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I recommend mobile application - it's very easy, you can scan barcodes and food automaticaly end up in your diary!