Might have hit a plateau... HELP?!

Options
I've lost 7kg in over a month consuming 1000-1200 calories a day. I probably eat 80% really healthy foods and exercise 5-7 times a week. I've lost the bulk of my weight so the last 5kg seems hard to lose. I weighed 60.6kg on Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday I had no loss. Maybe I'm being a bit silly because it's only been 3 days without a loss so its no big deal. I'm making sure I am working really hard doing interval training with some strength training. I might cut out some foods but I shouldn't have to I don't think. Should I lower my calorie intake? What can I do to lose some weight before my weigh in on Monday?

Thanks!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've lost 7kg in over a month consuming 1000-1200 calories a day. I probably eat 80% really healthy foods and exercise 5-7 times a week. I've lost the bulk of my weight so the last 5kg seems hard to lose. I weighed 60.6kg on Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday I had no loss. Maybe I'm being a bit silly because it's only been 3 days without a loss so its no big deal. I'm making sure I am working really hard doing interval training with some strength training. I might cut out some foods but I shouldn't have to I don't think. Should I lower my calorie intake? What can I do to lose some weight before my weigh in on Monday?

Thanks!

You are correct, you are being a bit silly.

3 weeks with no measurement or weight changes is a plateau.

Now, you can successfully get there quicker by not eating enough for your level of activity, so this may be the start already. Probably not, but you'll get to a real plateau maybe right when you reach goal weight.

Which means you don't get to eat more at maintenance.

Since you have so little to lose, you should select the recommended weight loss amount, not the max.
    And you should be eating back your exercise calories so you keep that same deficit that is already there, with or without exercise.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale though: water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool, the same with other metrics. Take front, side, and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

You can't force it to happen when you want it to. You must just be patient.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It looks like to me that maybe you should eat more!
  • kdfulgham
    kdfulgham Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think you are eating way to little calories. Just my two cents.
  • Start2011
    Options
    I also think that you need to increase your calorie intake..... however, everyone is different.
    I have lost 72lbs and I have hit a plateau that has lasted about 4 months. I have tried the following:
    - came off the diet for two weeks
    - changed all the foods I eat
    - increase food consumption
    - decrease food consumption
    - alternate workout routines

>....None of this seems to be working for me. So I have hit this frustrating period where I am just not sure what to do next...

Thought?
    Suggestions?

• janiceover
    janiceover Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Check out the book "The Eat Clean Diet Stripped" by Tosca Reno.
    Great ideas for losing those last pesky pounds!!!
  • CoachHeatherM
    CoachHeatherM Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have been eating 1200 calories (feels like) forever and doing P90X and extra cardio. I hit a plateau and got frustrated too. I upped my calories to 1400 and started losing weight again. I was told that I gained muscle during P90X and I needed to eat more food to feed the extra muscle, so I tried it and it's working. I'm no pro, but that's my personal experience.
  • cathiefheard
    Options
    This exact thing happened to me 2 weeks ago - and about the same weight.
    Here are my thoughts
    1. 3 days is not much - don't panic -
    but "keep the faith" this is when you can be tempted to give up. don't

2. It is true about weight loss not being linear.
    Take comfort that you are doing all the right things - so it has to come off
    And it may well be in a sudden woosh - liked that comment

3. What I did 2 weeks ago - I kept the same calories - but just changed where I had them a little.
    I wondered if my body was holding on and trying to "play it safe"
    So I at different food (still healthy) and spread it out a bit more - ie removed my mandarin from after lunch to later in the afternoon , with a cup of tea; took the carbohydrate out at dinner - had it somewhere else
    And I am so excited because just in the last week and a half , woosh! I am down to 57.9 after sitting at 59.9 for some time
    (and I started running just 10 minutes more on the days I did running)

So - surprise your body and just refresh what you are doing - keeping in the same principles of calorie and exercise.
    It certainly won't hurt!
  • Tabiiiiiii
    Options
    Okay I will see how I go on Monday's weigh-in. If I lose weight, I will keep doing what I've always done. If I don't lose weight, I will change my calorie intake, food I eat and exercises I do. Thanks for helping me out :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Okay I will see how I go on Monday's weigh-in. If I lose weight, I will keep doing what I've always done. If I don't lose weight, I will change my calorie intake, food I eat and exercises I do. Thanks for helping me out :)

If you up your intake, which 1600-1800 is probably good if you are active (if you want a closer number post your height, weight and age and workout schedule). You do have to give this a month though to give your body time to adjust. Btw, prolonged periods of low calories will increase the chances of you losing muscle instead of fat or maybe a comba of both.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey! I have been eating 1200 calories (feels like) forever and doing P90X and extra cardio. I hit a plateau and got frustrated too. I upped my calories to 1400 and started losing weight again. I was told that I gained muscle during P90X and I needed to eat more food to feed the extra muscle, so I tried it and it's working. I'm no pro, but that's my personal experience.

You wont build muscle on 1400 calories a day... it isnt enough to get into an anabolic stage. And if you follow the p90x program the minimum calories should be 1800.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm about your weight too. I say about because I gave up weighing myself ages ago, I really couldn't care less how I weigh. You KNOW when its working.
    If you want to speed up your progress I'd look at that 20% "bad " food you eat. Clearly you are not eating perfectly (who the hell does!!! :)) but if you improve your diet by 20% you will improve your results by a percentage.
    The other thing you can do is step up on the cardio. Try and get a couple of real hell sessions in before your weight in. Interval training is brilliant for that but you can still get into a habit with it - maybe increase your sprint periods, if you do 30 min sprint do it for 1 min, or make it faster. Increase exercise intensity and make a couple of little changes to your diet and that might give you that extra edge.