Help..I need ONE meal for a week

Options

Replies

• laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Cook chicken breasts in a crockpot. You can use bone-in or boneless. You can add chili powder/cumin/salsa or 1/2 cup chicken broth and italian seasonings. Or a splash of italian dressing. I usually do the italian seasoning because I find it's more versatile - I then add mexican seasonings when using the chicken during the week if I want mexican, and other seasonings if I don't.

You can use it for tacos/taco salad. Or mix with any combo of diced tomato/salsa/beans/rice/quinoa/veggies or a "stew". Make chicken salad (though I prefer to cook chicken differently for that). Eat it on a sandwich or just plain. Mix with favorite bbq sauce for Chicken barbeque sandwiches. Search the internet /allrecipes for recipes that call for shredded chicken.
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I fix a "Zuchhini Caserole" and cut it into 4 equal parts, but it can be into 5 if you need it to last for 5 days:

2 cups shredded Zucchini, includes skin
    1 pound Turkey - Ground Lean - Jennie-O
    2 eggs
    Oregono (makes it take like meat for speghetti...I love it)

Really simple to make- mix the 4 together and put in pan, I use a 9x13 glass one. Set oven for 350 degrees and bake for about 20 mins or until meat is completely cooked. Cut into equal parts and enjoy!
    I add more veggies for the side, usually more zucchini and carrots but a baked potato goes well with it to!

Didn't give you the calories and all because it is best for you to put into the recipe maker to make sure everything you use is counted correctly. Lots of protein!
  • missfelicia6
    missfelicia6 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You make it sound so easy...lol

I need a good chicken recipe though.

latest favourite of mine:

Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore

4 or 5 chicken breasts (or a mix of breasts and thighs if you like)
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 cup button mushrooms
    1 cup each sliced red and/or yellow and/or green peppers
    1 medium onion cut into wedges
    2 cloves garlic, crushed or diced
    1 can italian herb diced tomatoes
    1 can celery, green pepper spiced tomatoes
    1/2 - 1 cup rice (optional)

season both sides of chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
    in a frying pan on medium high heat, with a bit of olive oil: brown the chicken to seal in the juices, take them out of the pan and put them in the bottom of the slow cooker.
    in the frying pan fry the onions until translucent, add garlic, mushrooms, and peppers. Frying just until tender crisp (a few minutes). throw those in slow cooker.
    put both cans of tomatoes into slow cooker, and add rice if you want it to be mixed with the rest of the dish(optional). otherwise you can cook the rice separately and serve this mixture on top.
    cook on low for 4-6 hours.

i've been eating it all week... tastes pretty darn good!
    if you're not a fan of the peppers getting mushy though, maybe try and just keep them out of the mix, and add them on top of the mixture after everything is cooked.

enjoy!

WOW, thank you for taking the time to share this recipe! I'll make it this Sunday for sure!!
  • Morgan803
    Morgan803 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    For Breakfasts:

I make a huge batch of steel cut oats in the crock pot, the recipe on the box calls for stove top but just use the same ratios and put it all in the crock 6 hours on low.
    OR..
    Buy a carton of Eggbeaters, it make 8 wraps, place a half cup in a bowl microwave 2 minutes, do this for all 8 servings, i then take a whole wheat tortilla with the egg, a slice of fat free cheese, and two TBLSP salsa, wrap them up with plastic and freeze, take one out the night before and then just microwave.

For Lunches:

Ill make a crockpot of shredded mexican chicken, all it is is four raw chicken breasts, a can of corn, can of tomatoes, can of black beans, a cup of green onions, fresh cilantro, and then spices to taste (chile powder, cumin, garlic, ect.) cook on low 6 hours, pull out chicken shred it and place back in the mixture for 1 hour. This is great by itself, in a wrap, over lettuce, or rice. And couldnt be easier.

Winters coming too, so soup is always easy and its great to use up old veggies, meat leftovers from the week before.

Just a few ideas
  • YogaLarva
    Options
    Fried rice or stir fry are really good meals to prepare in bulk because you can add lots of veggies and they reheat super well, even after days in the fridge. :-) Just don't over cook your veggies too much the first time, or they will just be mush when you reheat it.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    You make it sound so easy...lol

I need a good chicken recipe though.

latest favourite of mine:

Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore

4 or 5 chicken breasts (or a mix of breasts and thighs if you like)
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 cup button mushrooms
    1 cup each sliced red and/or yellow and/or green peppers
    1 medium onion cut into wedges
    2 cloves garlic, crushed or diced
    1 can italian herb diced tomatoes
    1 can celery, green pepper spiced tomatoes
    1/2 - 1 cup rice (optional)

season both sides of chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
    in a frying pan on medium high heat, with a bit of olive oil: brown the chicken to seal in the juices, take them out of the pan and put them in the bottom of the slow cooker.
    in the frying pan fry the onions until translucent, add garlic, mushrooms, and peppers. Frying just until tender crisp (a few minutes). throw those in slow cooker.
    put both cans of tomatoes into slow cooker, and add rice if you want it to be mixed with the rest of the dish(optional). otherwise you can cook the rice separately and serve this mixture on top.
    cook on low for 4-6 hours.

i've been eating it all week... tastes pretty darn good!
    if you're not a fan of the peppers getting mushy though, maybe try and just keep them out of the mix, and add them on top of the mixture after everything is cooked.

enjoy!

WOW, thank you for taking the time to share this recipe! I'll make it this Sunday for sure!!

you're welcome! I have plenty of crockpot recipes that i make on a regular basis... that's just the one i have made for this week so it was easy to remember off the top of my head.

hope you enjoy it!
  • FarmGal09
    Options
    bump!
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian chili
    Ingredients:

2 - Tbsp cooking oil
    4 - Tbsp minced garlic
    2 - medium green peppers, chopped
    2 - medium onions, chopped
    6 - 14oz cans stewed tomatoes (or prepare your own)
    2 - 15oz cans pinto beans, rinsed & drained (or prepare your own)
    2 - 15 oz cans kidney beans, rinsed & drained (or prepare your own)
    2 - 11 oz cans whole kernel corn, rinsed & drained (or prepare your own)
    4 - Tbsp chili powder
    2 - Tbsp Cayenne Pepper

Saute garlic, peppers and onions in oil until tender, (I like to lightly puree the stewed tomatoes), add stewed tomatoes and remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.

We like it spicy so you may want to add half the chili powder and cayenne pepper and gradually add more to taste.
    If you like meat you can add ground beef, chicken or turkey.
    If you prepare your own tomatoes, beans and corn from scratch you will cut down on sodium.
    I don't remember how many servings this makes, it's been a while since I made it but it filled a 5 qt pan.
    ENJOY!
  • NewNalu
    Options
    I shop once a week on Sundays and buy enough for 1-2 meals spread over 5 days (with leftovers). I cook and prepare all the sides (beans, salad, vegetables, rice) on Sunday evening, then cook the main dishes (normally skinless boneless chicken or steak) each night. This keeps prep and cook time very low and hassle free, but also gives you a fresh cooked entree every night.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be home for a few hours, might as well make soup. This basic recipe will work in a crock pot too if you want to leave it on low all day.

Put chicken in the bottom of a big pot. (Chicken breast or the whole chicken or anything in between.)

Chop carrots, celery, onions, garlic small and add it in.

Add a bag of dried beans (check for stones and dirt first).

Add root vegetables like potatoes, parsnips, chopped into bite-size pieces.

Softer vegetables like zuchini and mushrooms (chopped into bite-sized pieces) can go in now too, but they will get a little soft.

Cover the whole thing with water, make sure all the ingredients are totally covered. Add a tablespoon of salt. (You can always add more later.) Any other seasonings go in here too, curry powder, Italian blend, whatever.

Boil it then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover the pot but be sure to check it from time to time to make sure everything is still covered with water. Might want to put a kettle on so you have hot water to add if you need to.

The soup is done when the beans are done, probably around 1.5 hours. Fix up the chicken by removing it from the bones and chopping it or whatever it needs to be soup :)

Edited to add, you can go to the Dollar store for 2-cup tupperwares. Line 10 up on the counter and scoop the soup in them. Cover and put them in the sink and cover with ice to cool them off before you freeze them.
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Makes at least 12 - 2 cup servings, if you prepare your beans from scratch (soaking overnight etc) it's about 229 calories per MFP's ingredients and using McCormick spices. I added it to my recipe's, don't know if you can copy it from there.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian chili
    Ingredients:

2 - Tbsp cooking oil
    4 - Tbsp minced garlic
    2 - medium green peppers, chopped
    2 - medium onions, chopped
    6 - 14oz cans stewed tomatoes (or prepare your own)
    2 - 15oz cans pinto beans, rinsed & drained (or prepare your own)
    2 - 15 oz cans kidney beans, rinsed & drained (or prepare your own)
    2 - 11 oz cans whole kernel corn, rinsed & drained (or prepare your own)
    4 - Tbsp chili powder
    2 - Tbsp Cayenne Pepper

Saute garlic, peppers and onions in oil until tender, (I like to lightly puree the stewed tomatoes), add stewed tomatoes and remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.

We like it spicy so you may want to add half the chili powder and cayenne pepper and gradually add more to taste.
    If you like meat you can add ground beef, chicken or turkey.
    If you prepare your own tomatoes, beans and corn from scratch you will cut down on sodium.
    I don't remember how many servings this makes, it's been a while since I made it but it filled a 5 qt pan.
    ENJOY!

I also make a chili that we eat for days. Because we eat primal, the beans and corn are gone and instead I use ground beef and eggplant. My husband would eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I let him. Chili is the easiest thing to make in big batches and also the easiest to alter for all. You can use any ground meat for a non-vegetarian version. You can load it with other veggies and mushrooms. Lots of options.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Stir fry! You can make a TON of it at once and dole it out all week long. My last one was made with steak strips (the ones u buy pre cut), one large bag of mixed stir fry veggies (I like the ones with the little water chestnuts mmmm.), black beans (for more protein) oh and I also added broccoli...just because I love it. It made a loooot. I had some over rice, some on a small fajita, some over salad.
    There are so many different ways you can do a stir fry too, so it never gets boring! Any meat and veg combination you could think of...or meatless if you're a vegetarian. Sauces are infinite too. That last one had a mexican flair to it because i added a bit of cayenne pepper in addition to hoisin and soy sauces. (Was darn good too!)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    chili--a huge pot.

black beans
    kidney beans
    ground turkey
    a can of corn
    huge bell pepper
    huge onion
    a can of tomatoes
  • gates1064
    gates1064 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sunday is supposed to be football Sunday. If you must, grill up lots of chicken breasts. This way you can portion and freeze them and use as needed. For lunch I eat lots of chicken, tuna, salmon with the minute rice cups with a tablespoon each of Balsamic and EVOO.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    My go to is to bake up a bunch of chicken breats plain.

Then you can create a variety of toppings.
    1. Pasta sauce and cheese
    2. tomatoes, onion garlic, peppers diced like bruchetta
    3. Sauteed mushrroms, dijon mustard, and taggagon sauce
    4. Curry pasts and a little milk / cream sauce
    5. Peanut butter and spicy chili sauce
    6. Cut up and toss in with some fesh veggies for a stir fry
    7. Cut into strips and add a wrap with a little ceasar salad.
    8. Chip fine into chicken salas for sandwitch

Other ideas:
    - Chili (made with your choice of ground beef, turkey, or veggie)
    -Meatloaf (again works with many meat or meatless options
    -Soups, and stews of every variety, tonight I made a Carrot Ginger to eat for the next few days

Hope this helps :)
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    It only does me three days but I buy a whole pre-roasted chicken on Sunday and take off all the meat (no cooking required which works well in my house)! I just take that to work with an avocado some baby spinach a tomato and a packet of wraps. Easy.

If I'm feeling enthusiastic I'll make up a big curry, stirfry or soup and divide it up for the week.
  • mbk830
    mbk830 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    A chicken recipe that is delicious out of the oven, cold, turned into chicken salad, made into fajitas, etc. Super simple too. I put the ingredients together Sunday night, came home late last night, and threw it in the oven. 30 min later, I had dinner

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2012/01/buttermilk-roast-chicken/
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I do this every week. Look me up on Pinterest and check out my Tried and True- Alissa Approved board. My favorite recipes are there.