Hispanics that love their food!

Options
124»

Replies

• jazcndoit
    jazcndoit Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I know what u mean!! I am from Honduras and rice, tortillas, and platano frito are a most! For some reason since I started my journey my family has had a get together every weekend! ugh! and every traditional plate has been offered... but because I know all eyes are on me, including my own I eat 1/2 of what I use to eat.. no cakes for me! You can do this!! it's all about will power.. Hang in there! Add me if you'd like ;)
  • chickaboom_69
    Options
    I know how you feel im panamanian and we love to eat arroz blanco con frijoles y rabito and its not easy to limit ourself to some food
  • nicdilor
    Options
    Oh jeez, my cravings are kickin in, good good food, I didnt give up on my food either, just making healthier choices and lots and lots of exercise, anybody want a diet buddy feel free to add me =)
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I hear ya.. I'm mexican and still have to cook for the family.. really hard resisting all the great yummy food. Feel free to add me ladies :)
  • cinner506
    Options
    OMG!!! I know what you mean!! Especially with Christmas coming around---Tamales, Tres leches cakes, biscochitos, flan, and churros!! making my mouth water!!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    My husband is Mexican, so I definitely know what you mean about how bad the food can be. I looooove Mexican food too.

I know this probably isn't considered an Hispanic food thing, because it's a junk food, but I really think I am addictive to Taki's I kid you not. Not even with my favorite foods do I feel the way I do about Takis. Woe is me, I miss those things <3. I made an imitation pasta but it still doesn't compare :(
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    let me see arroz con gandules, mofongo, ropa vieja, etc, etc. why do we have to have such a delicious food array. I agree is difficult to loose weight when we have all that good cooking.
  • CDeRuyter
    CDeRuyter Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Juanita here. Lover of tortillas, chorizo and carnita burritos. I LOVE my food....and my wine.
  • GabyG69
    GabyG69 Posts: 213
    Options
    I am Mexican and I love food!!! Sometimes I have days in which I do eat the food my mom cooks but I try to find substitutes.. I now only use olive oil instead of lard and so does my mom in all her cooking. I buy the low-cal corn tortillas (80 calories for two instead of the 120 calorie ones!) and just little changes like that here and there :)
  • SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Im hispanic and I LOVE food. I still eat the same things but I've made a lot of subsitutions like brown rice instead of white. It has about the same amount of calories but brown rice has more fiber and nutrients; therefore, it fills up your tummy.... I use wheat tortillas for my chicken avocado wraps. You can do it!

I'm half Mexican (don't let my blonde hair fool you) and I totally agree with this.
    I actually prefer the brown rice now and the wheat tortillas with HIGH FIber are also good.
    You can get used to it.
    Tonight's menu was flank steak in the crockpot with peppers (jalapeno, red and yellow bell), red onion, cumin, chile powder, garlic and tad of olive oil. comes out shredded tender.
    Add that to a wheat, high fiber tortilla with light sour cream, fresh avacado and salsa and I dare you to tell me how it isn't good! Often I add brown rice.
  • mhide
    mhide Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm mexican and it gets really hard to not to eat all those delicious dishes, I haven't eaten suadero tacos for six months :'(
  • xXYanixX
    Options
    I know what you're talking about im Cuban and i love arroz con gris ,yucca, lechon, and not to menttion the desserts!! puddins, mermelada mmmm i better stop now....
  • chefswife1975
    chefswife1975 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about making it fit. I'm Italian and I made sure the big old bowl of pasta and sauce with chicken sausages was something I could do tonight.
    It's all about cutting where you can, using fresh veggies, fresh herbs and don't forget to beef up your spice rack! That's how I've been able to keep myself happy.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating it waaay too much. Both my parents worked full time in a Mexican restaurant. Cooking at home was rare so everyday was something from the restaurant like carne asada, pollo con crema, arroz, frijoles, pozole, etc etc etc I actually grew tired of it after so many years. I still have it once every 4-5 months now.

My favorite is seafood tacos usually made from lobster and tortas made from carnitas.
  • hiddensmiles21
    Options
    Not hispanic but my boyfriend is Guatemalan, so the rice and grease in my diet has skyrocketed since we've been together. Thankfully when I cook, I'm able to cut out some of the fat and I reduce my portions. [when he cooks...his favorite things to add are oil and butter...ugh] My boyfriend is naturally skinny so his portions are huge and he eats bowl rice and beans for a snack! I love the food but have to be careful to track what I eat, everything in moderation!
  • dw4378
    Options
    Wow ladies did not realize that there were so many hispanic ladies on here so thank you for all this wonderful feedback!! Sorry to say this but I think that the way many of us were brought up eating is the cause of our weight issues and although the food is wonderfully tasting and awesome it is not so good for us :( . Refired beans yum, homemade flour tortillas straight off the comal with butter even yummier. :) When i do make Mexican food which is not often these days, I just try and substitute some of the ingredients to make it a lil healthier and drink lots of water prior to eating, def helps in not comsuming a lot. But also make sure that I do treat myself to some yummy guacamole or salsa with chips..

Anyone please feel free to add me and maybe we can all start swapping recipes. Good luck everyone!!
  • erikapereira
    Options
    I am puertorican and I miss all the frituras de Piñones lol.
    I know is hard to reduce the rice intake.... :(
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Options
    I totally understand I am of Mexican and Salvadorean parents, I usually just find alternate cooking methods for those same foods and making them vegertarian which is really easy in our culture.Although I have yet to find an alternative for pupusas and chicharron :(
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!