peeling hardboiled eggs

Options

Replies

• thebrianmo
    Options
    Put a little vinegar in the water with the eggs, works every time. Also they make a device that will peel them for you perfectly. They are available at most kitchen stores.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Roll them on the counter so the shell gets all crackly and then run them under cold water to get the shell off.
  • najla56
    najla56 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    a dash of vinegar while cooking does the trick
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If you bake them instead the shells come off super easy! Get a muffin tin and put one egg in each slot. Bake for 30 minutes at 325. When you pull them out put them all in a bowl of cold water to cool them off.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Farm fresh eggs are hard to peel, but not impossible. My mum has a trick for it, I just can't remember what that is ATM. My parents raise chickens for eggs so it's common practice peeling fresh eggs around our house.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Let the eggs sit at room temp for about an hour before boiling. this makes for easy peeling. Submerge in cold water after you stop boiling to keep the eggs from continuing to cook, and and turning green.
  • chaamigo
    chaamigo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i have my own chickens and have had a terrible time with the fresh eggs too and tried doing them hot, ,putting them on ice and a bunch of other tricks that i have heard worke well on fresh eggs. but what i have found is unless you are making deviled eggs and need that particular shape. try doing what i do and poach them and put them in a zip lock bag and use them as needed. :)
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Once you drain them, cover them with cold water and peel them underwater before they have a chance to cool. I think that works.

^ That
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! LOL If there are at least 25 ways to peel an egg, YOU know there is at LEAST 2500 ways to lose weight/get healthy...Well, they say it's more than one way to...well, you know the rest. LOL :drinker:
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    a dash of vinegar while cooking does the trick

^ This, it works every time.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Boil or steam eggs until they are cooked. (If it has a green/black band around the cooked yolk you have overcooked it). As soon as your egg's are cooked, plunge them into cold running water. The trick is to cool them down as fast as possible. Once they are cool just tap the sides until the shell breaks and roll them by applying downward pressure with your palm. Peel and enjoy.

I used to hard boil about 600 eggs a day when I was in the military as a professional chef.....trust me, this works. :wink:
  • redcyren
    Options
    I boil mine in advance so I don't have to wait 20 mins in the morning for them. Boil your eggs, let them cool, put them in the fridge. Later in the week when I want to peel them, I boil a bit extra water when I make my tea and pour this over the eggs I want that day. Let them sit a few minutes, run them under cold water and it'll be just like you boiled them fresh. Easy to peel!
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    As crazy as it sounds...adding vinegar the the water for the boiling process worked for me!
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dumplingsx
    Options
    Approximately how long does it take to boil an egg? I think I might have one or two for breakfast :3
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I let mine cool in cold water for a few minutes, crack the shell on the pan and peel with the side of my thumb. It's way easier.
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I let them cool in the water I boiled for about 30 minutes and then refrigerate them....great!
  • annedockstader
    Options
    After you boil them drain the water, crack with a spoon and fill with ice water. This process helps, but they are always much harder to peel just because they are fresh. You could also cut them in half and spoon them out.
  • CrystalLace
    CrystalLace Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Rubybelle nailed it! Using a spoon after cracking makes it super easy.