Vitamin D and Weight Loss – Recognizing the Connection

Options
2»

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    What is the study link? (Where did you find it.)

http://www1.umn.edu/news/features/2009/UR_CONTENT_165066.html
  • AlichiaMJohnson73
    AlichiaMJohnson73 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    ****bump**** thanks for the inbformation!!!:flowerforyou:
  • AlichiaMJohnson73
    AlichiaMJohnson73 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Where are you finding all these "studies". They are only as good as their study parameters. I think it's dangerous to suggest that taking 10K IU a day of Vitamin D is safe and can help weight loss. That is a very high dose, considering the recommendation is 1000 IU daily, Not 10,000!!

What is the study link? (Where did you find it.)

I don't think you are being very responsible in this post, especially in light of the fact that you have posted other questionable "supplement studies".

If administered by your physician this isn't a lot...especially if your Vitamin D LEVELS ARE BELOW THE LEVELS THEY SHOULD BE AT...
  • dhanisk
    Options
    I, too, was tested low on Vitamin D. My Doc has suggested 5,000 gels.
    My wife was also tested low. Her doc put her on 10,000 prescriptions (which my insurance does not cover).
    --
    I was also informed by my doc that the prescription Vitamin D is slow release, which results greater overall absorption versus supplements which are fast release - which may not be absorbed. So, it is little tricky. It seems taking a supplement does not necessarily mean your body absorbs it. Wonder, if that means no or little toxicity if your body does not absorb all of it.
  • summergrl17
    summergrl17 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I took my vit d supplement today - my doctor prescribes it and so its covered by my insurance. I keep hearing about how Vit D is being connected with weigh loss so I'm really motivated to take it every day! Thanks for all the info on this topic.
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    throwing my two cents in and adding that it's impossible to have sufficient calcium levels if your VitD is too low. One regulates the other. Which sucks, because calcium is the ONE THING I shouldn't be deficient in, and because of my mighty low VitD I am.

Believe I'm taking 2000 iU a day. My doc is taking the ultra cautious "1000, three months, bloodtests," rinse and repeat approach.
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D is a well-known cancer preventative and overall health enhancer, but some researchers have even made a serious connection between vitamin D and weight loss. The University of Minnestoa study found that higher vitamin D levels coupled with a properly balanced diet helps people lose more weight than if simply utilizing a properly balanced diet. What this means is that one of many vitamin D benefits is the acceleration of fat loss, diet aside.

Interesting! I am taking Vitamin D supplement because mine was way low too but I had no idea it could have anything to do with weight loss.
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I take an RX of 50,000 IU once per week. It makes a tremendous difference in my achy joints. I see a rheumatologist for a form of fibromyalgia and arthritis. It also does seem to help my energy level. I am extremely deficient and cannot seem to keep my levels up at all. However the doctor explained that it is fairly common in people in our part of the world where getting 15 minutes of sunlight year round is difficult. I can't say that it has helped with the weight loss but it definitely helps with joint aches and fatigue. I also have a heart condition, so I am monitored very closely for lots of stuff, and the cardiologist was shocked at how low my level was and agrees that I need to take it. I
  • Growtinymusclesgrow
    Options
    If you notice the common denominator here...doctor prescribed. You should NEVER just randomly start taking supplements without first talking to your health care provider. Supplement companies put out published studies all the time, they are in the business of selling their products. Supplements is over a billion dollar a year business. Talk to your doctor first!
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    This is extremely interesting. Thank you for this information!
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    If you notice the common denominator here...doctor prescribed. You should NEVER just randomly start taking supplements without first talking to your health care provider. Supplement companies put out published studies all the time, they are in the business of selling their products. Supplements is over a billion dollar a year business. Talk to your doctor first!

I was really surprised when my doctor told me how low my Vitamin D was as I have always loved cheese. As it is I have an underlying condition that she said makes it more difficult to properly absorb Vitamin D.