Summer Loving.

Options
I’ve just come back from my holidays with the zumba girls, and we have spent the last week sunning ourselves in Turkey complete with plenty of rest and relaxation and the odd cheeky cocktail or six.

On a girly holiday in 2009, I spent the whole time in my baggy t-shirt and linens, cursing the fact that I would look as sun-kissed as a polar bear and quietly envying my friends their string bikinis and comparatively light luggage (seriously. My Fat Girl cover-ups weighed a ton. Irony was NOT lost one me). I watched, sad, as they casually lifted their tops over their heads and scooched down onto their sunbeds, glistening and lithe. I slopped on the factor thirty to my very few exposed bits, and sat under the umbrella. Slooooowly roasting. I would read my holiday book of choice at an elevated angle so that my bingo wings wouldn’t smoosh against my sides. I convinced myself that my frumpy one-pieces were cute and retro in a Marilyn classy sort of way, but in reality they just barely contained the flab.

Summers were a nightmare. Chub rub; feeling hot all the time due to not wanting to flash the flab; spaghetti straps digging into pudgy shoulders; people just plain taking the mick as they exposed their abs. I mean COME ON. Not only do I feel inferior but YOU’RE OBVIOUSLY A MUCH LOWER TEMPERATURE THAN ME. Eff you, I’m having a Magnum (read: three Magnums).

This summer, I spent most of my days in a string bikini. I would throw on a chiffon maxi dress for when I wanted to go and get the girls a drink from the beach bar. You could see my stomach through it and everything. I would go to the hotel gym every morning and sweat myself inside out before heading for breakfast by the sea.

I used to shy away from holiday photos. Camera flashes would bounce off my fishbelly-coloured skin and when I’d get the slightest hint of a tan, the creases in my fat would stay white. Nothing like having a summertime necklace. I’d make sure they were only headshots; the coy over-the-shoulder-pose and nothing else.

Last week, a member of hotel staff took photos of me and my friends (we agreed to it after a few wines, not going to lie – and it wasn’t casting couchy in the slightest, I promise). And I stood there proudly in my halterneck dress, arms out and everything, and bloody beamed.

It was two tanned fingers to the summer miseries. It was covering myself in sweat at the gym to make sure I wasn’t covered in clothes at the beach. It was my arms looking bigger because I’d been lifting weights that morning.

I love summer these days. Shame I’m a Brit, as it lasts all of five minutes…

Hols2-1.jpg

Replies

• thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Hey beautiful, you can come to Texas and spend summers with me--they last about 9 months here!! :love: :love:
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Go you!!! You look fab!
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful, awesome writing too
  • easycure
    easycure Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    beautiful job! way to go!!
  • happypath101
    Options
    Great post. Good for you!
  • _Mitch_
    Options
    Great story, keep it up. Hard work shows and pays off!
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Well done, you look utterly fabulous! Glad you had a wonderful summer :) x
  • TrekkieChic
    TrekkieChic Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You look absolutely stunning! Well done!
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    SInce my first response was silly business, I thought I'd give a more sincere response since you know how much I adore you.

I really, really understand this. I DREADED summers for years. I stayed inside as much as I could, but when I had to go outside, the least I would wear was capri pants and T-shirts. I wore my maternity clothes up until my son was 3 years old. I REFUSED to wear shorts or sleeveless shirts--I just couldn't stand the way it made me feel. It's so amazing to be free of that now. That's what this process has been about for me--FREEDOM. I am passionately in love with the way you write, and I really, sincerely think you should write a book about your weight loss journey. Keep being amazing hon!!
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for such lovely, heartwarming responses. I often lament that I didn't find MFP when I started my weightloss, when I felt terribly alone and it all seemed so hard. The support here is absolutely incredible.

And D, don't tempt me - I'm sitting here shivering and could murder a spell in the sun (and yeah, you're my absolute heroine, so that kind of goes without saying).
  • tempest501
    tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good for you !! You look great.

It is a bad year to be a Brit isn't we have prob had 3 weeks of sun if that =C
  • crowunruh
    crowunruh Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I love your dress by the way!
  • MogwaisGrandma
    MogwaisGrandma Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful picture x.

Now, where are the bikini ones? :love:

When I get on my plane this afternoon I will be looking forward to not worrying about touching the person in the seat next to me with 'overspill' Well, unless they need to lose a bit and then I will give them MFP's website address :wink:
  • hollynono
    hollynono Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You look amazing - and I loved your post. Way to go!
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Again, thank you all for such lovely supportive comments, it's appreciated more than you know.

It's BLIMMIN' FREEZING in the UK today. I had fleece PJs and a cup of Horlicks last night. No more string bikinis for a while...

xxx
  • AmericanCowboy76
    AmericanCowboy76 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I’ve just come back from my holidays with the zumba girls, and we have spent the last week sunning ourselves in Turkey complete with plenty of rest and relaxation and the odd cheeky cocktail or six.

On a girly holiday in 2009, I spent the whole time in my baggy t-shirt and linens, cursing the fact that I would look as sun-kissed as a polar bear and quietly envying my friends their string bikinis and comparatively light luggage (seriously. My Fat Girl cover-ups weighed a ton. Irony was NOT lost one me). I watched, sad, as they casually lifted their tops over their heads and scooched down onto their sunbeds, glistening and lithe. I slopped on the factor thirty to my very few exposed bits, and sat under the umbrella. Slooooowly roasting. I would read my holiday book of choice at an elevated angle so that my bingo wings wouldn’t smoosh against my sides. I convinced myself that my frumpy one-pieces were cute and retro in a Marilyn classy sort of way, but in reality they just barely contained the flab.

Summers were a nightmare. Chub rub; feeling hot all the time due to not wanting to flash the flab; spaghetti straps digging into pudgy shoulders; people just plain taking the mick as they exposed their abs. I mean COME ON. Not only do I feel inferior but YOU’RE OBVIOUSLY A MUCH LOWER TEMPERATURE THAN ME. Eff you, I’m having a Magnum (read: three Magnums).

This summer, I spent most of my days in a string bikini. I would throw on a chiffon maxi dress for when I wanted to go and get the girls a drink from the beach bar. You could see my stomach through it and everything. I would go to the hotel gym every morning and sweat myself inside out before heading for breakfast by the sea.

I used to shy away from holiday photos. Camera flashes would bounce off my fishbelly-coloured skin and when I’d get the slightest hint of a tan, the creases in my fat would stay white. Nothing like having a summertime necklace. I’d make sure they were only headshots; the coy over-the-shoulder-pose and nothing else.

Last week, a member of hotel staff took photos of me and my friends (we agreed to it after a few wines, not going to lie – and it wasn’t casting couchy in the slightest, I promise). And I stood there proudly in my halterneck dress, arms out and everything, and bloody beamed.

It was two tanned fingers to the summer miseries. It was covering myself in sweat at the gym to make sure I wasn’t covered in clothes at the beach. It was my arms looking bigger because I’d been lifting weights that morning.

I love summer these days. Shame I’m a Brit, as it lasts all of five minutes…

Hols2-1.jpg

Summer is 11.5 months of the year in Texas. :-)
  • _Tuyana_
    _Tuyana_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    you go girl!!!
  • dsmease7
    dsmease7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Awesome story & very inspiring! You look gorgeous in that dress:) Be proud of what you've accomplished, your hard work is paying off! Thanks for sharing!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Love the descriptions! You look fantastic!
  • acrynne
    acrynne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration! Thank you for sharing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!