Lunchtime Work Out? How do you do it?

Options
I was wondering if any of you could give me a quick tutorial on how to get a workout in during my lunch hour. I'd love to do it, but am not sure about the logistics on either not getting to smelly, or whether your shower again during lunch, at what point do you get food? Clearly, this is something I want to do but I just wasn't sure exactly how that works for everyone.

Replies

• McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    For me a lunch time work out would be more trouble than its worth, just relax and enjoy your lunch.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    My office has locker rooms. I run at lunch time, and usually have a small snack about a half hour before. I shower and eat my lunch at my desk after. I use cleansing wipes on my face so I don't have to re-do ALL the makeup, and I have my hair in a pony tail so I don't have to wash it and deal with that. It works for me and gives me extra energy to get through that sleepy time in the mid-afternoon. I love lunch time workouts! Good luck!
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I pack my lunch/snacks for work each morning and my gym bag.

The gym I use is 3 mins away from my work. I go the gym, get dressed and get ready to work out. I can fit in 3- 10 min circuts or 30-35 min of running/cardio before I head back in to the locker room for a shower. I shower, fix my hair, get dressed and head back to work. Since I have a desk type job, I just eat my lunch when I'm ready to while I work.

It has worked for me for a couple years now it just takes a bit of planning.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    On days that I run my double at lunch, I go to the gym down the street. I shower there after and then eat my lunch at my desk when I get back to work. I'm fortunate to have a flexible schedule, so I can take more than an hour if I need to.
  • jallison12
    Options
    I am lucky to have a gym on site at my office complex. So I do a workout followed by a shower. I then eat at my desk while catching up on emails. I just have a simple turkey wrap and it takes me only 5 mins to eat.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    My gym is on the premises. Because I do not work with the general public or see people, I don't shower after my work out (too much work for me frankly). I will throw on some extra deodorant, and once I am not sweaty anymore will just throw on my work clothes again, and keep my hair in a pony tail.

I know that other people will only work out for half and hour and shower and go back to work.

I guess it would depend on how smelly/sweaty you get and how you would feel about not showering afterwards vs. showering.
  • Kellybeth16
    Options
    I only live about 4 minutes from work, so I go home every day, run 2-3 miles on my treadmill, then shower and go back to work. I've been doing this for about 4 months now, so it has gotten alot easier. I usually keep like a tuna lunch to go kit or popcorn at my desk for lunch. If I eat something small that looks like a snack, I won't get accused of taking 2 lunches. I just eat it while I work, and I usually wait at least an hour after I get back to start eating something.
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I eat my lunch at my desk while I do work. Unfortunately the traffic sucks so my gym is about 15 minutes away. I shower there but I generally take about an hour and half so I just work later. Yay for flex schedule.
  • punkahontas71
    punkahontas71 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I work near a gym so I go there for a half hour 4 times a week and I walk the other 30 mins of my lunch time..bring deodorant and a towel. its all good. I figure its better to than not to. You can get a pedometer and track how far you walk. A half hour going then a half hour coming back..if you have 60 mins for lunch. As for food when I get back I change back into work clothes have some water then lunch. I eat at my desk.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I am lucky my job offers crossfit classes at work so am able to go across the parking lot to the gym, do 30 minutes of crossfit, shower, then eat at my desk. If you want to do it bad enough, you'll find a way to make it work. Good luck!
  • cmzutz
    Options
    My co-worker and I walk around the parking lot together for about 30minutes at lunch. Since you are just walking, you don't really get sweaty. That still leaves you 30 minutes (if you have an hour lunch) to eat and relax, but still gives you the joy of knowing you were not totally lazy ;)
  • fullofhope76
    Options
    I walk at work when the weather is good. Not too hot or raining, etc. Otherwise I just get up earlier in the morning and get the work out in before I go to work.
  • Tandi_S
    Tandi_S Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    My office has locker rooms. I run at lunch time, and usually have a small snack about a half hour before. I shower and eat my lunch at my desk after. I use cleansing wipes on my face so I don't have to re-do ALL the makeup, and I have my hair in a pony tail so I don't have to wash it and deal with that. It works for me and gives me extra energy to get through that sleepy time in the mid-afternoon. I love lunch time workouts! Good luck!

^^This! Except I generally don't have time to shower, so I keep some bath wipes in my locker. Wipe down the sweat, throw on some deodorant and go about the day. My hair is usually up, so that's nbd. Then I'll have lunch at my desk, or sometimes I don't get to it until 2 or 3 depending on what's going on. For me it's a must, I would never get it done in the evenings right now with my 4 and 1 year old running around!

It does get easier! The trouble then is if something comes up and I can't work out for a day or 2 at lunch, I get a little cagey...lol
  • Prestissima
    Prestissima Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I take a walk in brisk pace for 30 minutes and (or) train with my colleagues (we are 3 in one room so can close the door). I have a desk job, so can have my meals when I need to.
  • yarinathan
    yarinathan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My gym is on the premises. Because I do not work with the general public or see people, I don't shower after my work out (too much work for me frankly). I will throw on some extra deodorant, and once I am not sweaty anymore will just throw on my work clothes again, and keep my hair in a pony tail.

I know that other people will only work out for half and hour and shower and go back to work.

I guess it would depend on how smelly/sweaty you get and how you would feel about not showering afterwards vs. showering.

I agree...to much work for me to shower after a workout. I really don't get smelly after a workout... I do have wipes that I use to freshen up. I like to workout 45 minutes before heading back to work...I wanna get every minute out of my workout I can. And showering will just take time away.
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I found that working out at lunch was too stressful since it involved rushing to get the the gym and back again and then gobbling food. I've opted to take a 30 min brisk walk. I just have to remember to bring some running shoes.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I work maintance a a facility so I am not too overly concerned about being a little sweaty and stinky, I normally am anyways just the nature of the work. I eat my breakfeast around 10:30 go for my run at lunch time then I eat lunch at around 3 or so. Home by 5 have dinner around 7ish. A few snacks here and there but thats pretty much my routine. Oh yea I constantly take stairs and Im able to do some core work throughout the day also.
  • brybre0413
    brybre0413 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    yoga maybe?
  • doin_it
    doin_it Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I go with a brisk 30 min. walk and then still have time to eat!
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My employer offers fitness classes at lunchtime everyday, and the gym is just across the parking lot - maybe a 60 sec walk from my desk. I shower in the morning, workout at lunch, recoat pit-stick :) and get back to work. I eat my lunch at my desk after the noon hour while reading email, reading reports, etc.

I just made it a priority and get it done. Look after myself first.